Model Cars Magazine Forum

Opel RAK.2 1928 Rocket Car 1/24 resin kit from Scale Production

This is an extremely rare kit of the Opel RAK.2 rocket car. I've been searching for years and finally found kit #29/100! It's very cleanly cast and rather simple. Almost an oversize 1/43 kit. The wheels and tires in the kit are sourced from the Paul's Model Art Mercedes SSKL and are very nice. The tires however are too wide and have way too much tread. 

Screenshot_201808121939162-vi.png

Screenshot_201808121939302-vi.png

Edited by Dr. Trevorkian
spelling

Resin bits have been washed for primer. I'll fill some pinholes and scuff it up beforehand. I plan to build mostly OOB but I will add a little detail around the back rocket engines. I'll also see what I can do about more accurate tires.

IMG_20180903_1106013-vi.jpg

Primed with Duplicolor Primer Sealer and pinholes filled with Tamiya Liquid Surface Primer. 

IMG_20180903_1727574-vi.jpg

Edited by Dr. Trevorkian

22 hours ago, Dr. Trevorkian said:

Why is the text highlighted in black?

I am going to say from past experience that the post has been copied and pasted in here from another forum where Trevor originally posted it. I used to do it all the time  when this forum required a photo hosting site to post pics. 

Great looking start Trevor, best of luck with this unique build. 

• 2 weeks later...

After a week in Cuba I'm back at this thing. Fresh eyes and more internet research shows that the headrest shape is off. It is curved laterally but should be dead straight in profile. In addition the rear bodywork should taper behind the cockpit exposing the rear spring shackles requiring a wedge shaped cover to fair them in. I'm sure when this kit was mastered 25 years ago few of the currently available references were available. Now, to fix it or just build it?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Opel3-vi.jpg

The kit wheels and tires are beautiful but the more I look at them the more it is apparent they are wrong. The overall diameter is correct but the wheel is too small as a result the tire sidewall is too tall. In addition the tread is incorrect and far too priminent. The replacements from the Profil24 Renault 40 CV are much better but the tread is still not right. The only tire I could find that has the correct tread was the Monogram T35 but they are way too small.

IMG_20180916_1850150vi-vi.jpg