Model Cars Magazine Forum

2020 Corvette

I've always really liked Corvettes, but this one does absolutely nothing for me (nor did the C7).  Like all mid-engine supercars today, this one, to me, just looks like another "...angry appliance..." (thank you, Bob Lutz, for that term).

I suppose 60K is a reasonable price for this Corvette (my brother-in-law paid far more than that for his pick-up truck, come to think of it), and I'd certainly consider buying one if I happened to like the styling and it had some "Corvetteness" about it, but they'd have to offer it with a manual transmission in as that I don't buy cars (for myself) with automatics. 

Oh, well, it doesn't look like there'll be a new Corvette in my future...

The C8 most reminds me of the Ferrari F458/488, as far as the shape and proportions.  Different detailing of course, though.  I read that GM benchmarked the F458 when developing the C8.

The modern Ford GT is rather unique in it's shape amongst mid engine cars with it's cabin that tapers front to rear and has those huge pass through arches connecting the roof to the rear quarters.

Looking at the short, wide, deep trunk on the ‘vette makes me think it’s been designed around “two golf bags”... clearly golf has a rather different profile in the US, ‘cos you don’t see a lot of Ferraris, Lambos, McLarens and other mid engined supercars in our local golf course car park. The people who take their sports cars golfing have big Jags or Astons, and the people who have mid engined supercars also have Range Rovers...

;-P

best,

M.

Mid engine cars are "exotic" and there's NONE under 100K, but now you can buy a brand new one for less, amazing! If YOU don't like mid engine cars, fine, there's so many others you can have, but as an exotic car buff for decades, I'm stunned by this new Corvette, and it's price, ah-may-zing! Other cars in it's category are Ferrari 488, Lambo Hurrican, McLarens, NSX, Audi R8, each worth twice or three times as much. Mid engine cars do resemble each other out of necessity, as much as rear drive front engine cars do. If it sells well, and it seems to already have, that'll be the bar to judge if it's a good move by Chevy, but I can't see it failing at that price, PLUS, it brings an American car into the exotic fray, other than the uber-expensive Ford GT. I see a lot of Italian flags at exotic car shows, now we can proudly wave the stars and stripes! Ciao Bella, um, I mean Cool Baby!

41 minutes ago, dino246gt said:

Mid engine cars are "exotic" and there's NONE under 100K, but now you can buy a brand new one for less, amazing! If YOU don't like mid engine cars, fine, there's so many others you can have, but as an exotic car buff for decades, I'm stunned by this new Corvette, and it's price, ah-may-zing! Other cars in it's category are Ferrari 488, Lambo Hurrican, McLarens, NSX, Audi R8, each worth twice or three times as much. Mid engine cars do resemble each other out of necessity, as much as rear drive front engine cars do. If it sells well, and it seems to already have, that'll be the bar to judge if it's a good move by Chevy, but I can't see it failing at that price, PLUS, it brings an American car into the exotic fray, other than the uber-expensive Ford GT. I see a lot of Italian flags at exotic car shows, now we can proudly wave the stars and stripes! Ciao Bella, um, I mean Cool Baby!

I think Chevy just blew the cap off the exotic car market. Not sure if it was intentional or not but I think they just showed everyone just how over priced the Ferrari's and Lambo's really are. They really aren't even that great of cars in terms of reliability and maintenance. I can bet the C8 is going to be a very reliable car for "exotics".

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:19 AM, Bainford said:

I can't see why not, Vettes are bloody huge. Mid engine or otherwise, I'm sure big or tall people will fit.

After watching the Jay Leno Garage inverview with the lead Corvette engineer I understand that the passenger compartment has been moved forward 18" and the legroom should be adequate for very tall individuals. Of course I can't speak to the adequacy of head room but it might be worth your while to pay a visit to a dealer just for the heck of it to try one on for size. For some excellent photos of the C8 take a look at Howard Cohen's photo coverage elsewhere on the forums, He took over 1300 pix at an event where the C8 had it's own display area. Great stuff and very informative.