Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Recommended Posts

Who doesn't like this car, an iconic redo of the classic TV car. I will be doing is up with bright orange pinstripes like the TV car.  My wife's niece who I had given one of these kits to built it up in her vision which was the orange/red strips like the TV car. . She is a high functioning special needs person with a great imagination. She's 22, yet has the mental capacity and understanding of someone between the ages of 8-12 depending on the task and complexity. I won't be bothering with the interior, windows will be tinted out. 

So right off the hop the side panels need to be tweaked to fit properly.

The first pic is of Sara's build, my inspiration. 

 

 

IMG_5227.JPG

IMG_5361.JPG

IMG_5362.JPG

IMG_5363.JPG

Edited by Rider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers guys. 

A small up date, started block sanding and removing molding lines. Stripped the chrome changed up the kit front tire's for some parts bin tire's. Also started thinning the rims outer edge. This is one aspect of scale building that really kills a great looking build for me. There are so many great looking wheels/rims included in kits that have huge outter rings. They are either too wide or too thick or both. I've posted two pics of the same wheels for comparison in the light. I will let the rest of the pics speak for themselves. I also mixed up some paint for the pin stripping. I wasn't sure if the two brands would mix without reaction, no issue. Sprayed nice on initial testing, dried flat.  The paint looks more orange in life then in the pic, should work out for a close match to the red/orange used on the original TV car. 

Thanks for looking in. 

IMG_5373.JPG

IMG_5378.PNG

IMG_5379.PNG

 

IMG_5380.JPG

Edited by Rider
Changed pics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking GREAT!!….never thought of that aspect of the wheels before....thanks!  this is my favorite of all the "newer" Batmobiles!...looking forward to more!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Looking GREAT!!….never thought of that aspect of the wheels before....thanks!  this is my favorite of all the "newer" Batmobiles!...looking forward to more!!

Totally brings them into scale.

13 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Never thought to retro a batmobile, cool concept

Wish I could take credit for a cool concept.

5 hours ago, geetee66 said:

Ka-pow!

This is gonna be knockout!

Lol, Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ich_Will said:

Mixing Tamiya and Vaejo?!? I had no idea that could be done. 

Veru cool project! 

Thanks. Me either, but it looks to be stable,.

I will have to do a full mock up test before I actually paint the shell. Not sure how this concoction will bond to the base coat of ZeroPaints white so as not to lift with the masking. 

 

Edited by Rider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Rider said:

Thanks. Me either, but it looks to be stable,.

I will have to do a full mock up test before I actually paint the shell. Not sure how this concoction will bond to the base coat of ZeroPaints white so as not to lift with the masking. 

 

That would freaking suck if it happened!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The test pin stripping turned out, although the actual width will be half this. 

IMG_5390.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had this kit in 1990ish and I remember vividly the rear tires being the Mickey Thompson Sportsman tires that came in the Superbee pro street and the custom duellie Chevrolet snap kit... I remember the surprise I had when I examined all the parts and found those tires in the kit... Jackpot! it was great time to have an extra set of those ProStreet tires and beleive me I didn't use them on the Batmobile... I did build the kit, and loved the Michael Keaton film. I'm not sure what tires I used. The stripes are a nice detail for nostalgia... Maybe Tim Burton should've added them to the car originally...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-09-10 at 9:08 PM, disconovaman said:

I had this kit in 1990ish and I remember vividly the rear tires being the Mickey Thompson Sportsman tires that came in the Superbee pro street and the custom duellie Chevrolet snap kit... I remember the surprise I had when I examined all the parts and found those tires in the kit... Jackpot! it was great time to have an extra set of those ProStreet tires and beleive me I didn't use them on the Batmobile... I did build the kit, and loved the Michael Keaton film. I'm not sure what tires I used. The stripes are a nice detail for nostalgia... Maybe Tim Burton should've added them to the car originally...

Hopefully it looks good. Ya pretty cool tire for sure. I built this back in the mid 90's as well, gave it away to some kid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Small update.

4hrs of sanding a scraping the shell. I flat scraped the top of the fenders. Also reshaped the tail fins to give them a crisper knife edge. The hood trim/roof track was removed. Thinking about an omauge to the TV car by adding a hood scoop, very tiny. Block sanded the sides of the rear fenders, block sanded the top of the roof for an hour to pancake it. Some filling will be in next. 
Also flat spotted the tire's, rounded the edges and dressed down the script.

All comments welcome, thanks for looking in. 

IMG_5391.JPG

IMG_5392.JPG

IMG_5393.JPG

IMG_1269.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another small update.

Two rounds of filler later and we still need more. I am hoping a final  round of filler then a shot of filler primer should bury these seems.

 

IMG_5396.JPG

IMG_5397.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Dan.

 

Hi guys. 

I am pretty happy with how this is turning out.
I spent about 30min wet sanding down the Duplicolor filler primer with 500-600 grit foam backed sanding pads. 

Yesterday while working on the house I would drop into my studio and shoot some  primer. As per the instructions I wait at least 10-15min between coats.  All in all I think I shot about 14-16coats. 

This stuff is sooo awesome, I can't recommend it enough.  It can fill imperfections up to a 1/16" deep without shrinking or cracking. So for our needs it's pretty much perfect.

I've been using it for about 8yrs with much success. 

As you can seen it buffs up when wiped down with a cotton cloth. I'll have to scuff it up some before painting. 

 

Thanks for looking in. 

IMG_5398.JPG

IMG_5399.JPG

IMG_5401.JPG

IMG_5402.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Rider said:

Thanks Dan.

 

Hi guys. 

I am pretty happy with how this is turning out.
I spent about 30min wet sanding down the Duplicolor filler primer with 500-600 grit foam backed sanding pads. 

Yesterday while working on the house I would drop into my studio and shoot some  primer. As per the instructions I wait at least 10-15min between coats.  All in all I think I shot about 14-16coats. 

This stuff is sooo awesome, I can't recommend it enough.  It can fill imperfections up to a 1/16" deep without shrinking or cracking. So for our needs it's pretty much perfect.

I've been using it for about 8yrs with much success. 

As you can seen it buffs up when wiped down with a cotton cloth. I'll have to scuff it up some before painting. 

 

Thanks for looking in. 

IMG_5398.JPG

IMG_5399.JPG

IMG_5401.JPG

IMG_5402.JPG

I've used this primer for about 25 years now too, and it IS awesome!!….cant wait to see kolor on this!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my quest to make this a collaboration of the Barris TV car and the Burton movie car I decided it needed a hood scoop. So in search of a donor hood scoop I went on a search into the stash and found an old Pro Street kit that had already been kit bashed. 
The scoop was ripped down to a 1/4 of it's height shortened with the intake being beveled, then radiused. 

In order to get the scoop to the shape of the hood I tried a few large containers then it hit me, use the hood. So I taped some 320grit down and went at it. Not sure if I will add more shape to the intake to replicate the TV car or not.

 

IMG_5413.JPG

IMG_5415.JPG

IMG_5418.JPG

IMG_5420.PNG

Edited by Rider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is Magic!!….I think I need to find one of these kits to go with my 66......VERY inspirational, bud!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

This is Magic!!….I think I need to find one of these kits to go with my 66......VERY inspirational, bud!!!

Thanks Dann, I am sure you would do it justice.

 

Tonight's  progress.

Deciding to open the grills in the side body panels was the easy part. Actually getting them out took about 2hrs so far and I only have one side done. I thought about drilling and sanding the opening. A method I have used in the past. This tends to lead to a mis-shapened opening as I seem to always be chasing the desired shape from a bit too much over sanding. 

I decided to shave the back out of the panel with the plan to just 'pop out' the grill. 

This turned out to be the ticked. The other side is well on it's way. 

IMG_5426.JPG

IMG_5427.JPG

IMG_5428.JPG

IMG_5429.JPG

IMG_5433.JPG

Edited by Rider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the chisel tip..!

takes trim down to the panel...qquick

Nice work Lloyd...

hope to run into you in London

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Belugawrx said:

Love the chisel tip..!

takes trim down to the panel...qquick

Nice work Lloyd...

hope to run into you in London

Great tip isn't it. 

Thanks Bruce, I'll cya there. Will PM ya later in the week about a meet up there.

7 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Excellent job!!!, every situation needs its own technique, and this was the best one for this situation!

Thanks Dann. Totally, there's so many different techniques to learn and develop in the world of model building. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...