Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rider

In a forum full of interest for muscle cars, hot rod, street rod, customs etc I want to say thanks for the expressed interest in this WIP, I truly appreciate it. . 

The roof has been chopped, and a couple more style hues added, pictures to follow later. 

9 hours ago, DumpyDan said:

Glad your back at the table, how are you feeling are you over the winter?  Man that looking good, looks like you have been inspired.

Thanks Dan, all is well and glad to be back at the bench. 

I am tossing around the idea of scribing out door panels as you can just barely see from rough lines drawn on. Along with chopping the top I also racked it out to follow the line angle of the cockpit roof. 

IMG_6004.JPG

5 minutes ago, my80malibu said:

Such Huge improvements. Deserve extra added details, such as LED lighting. This would add even more flair to cap off all these great body mods. 

Thanks dude. I was thinking the same. I won't be detailing the cockpit but will be shading the window so I was thinking back lighting and perhaps in behind the side grills, all in an orange. 

1 hour ago, Rider said:

Thanks dude. I was thinking the same. I won't be detailing the cockpit but will be shading the window so I was thinking back lighting and perhaps in behind the side grills, all in an orange. 

That would be cool!

The chassis plate alignment and fit is pretty bad on this kit. The body sits WAY TOO high, and the wheels don't line up properly in the wheel openings, they also sit too far forward on the front and too far back on the rear. The front inner wheel well on the left side is exposed. The saw made quick work of the needed trimmings. 

Pretty easy to see all the added/changed bits in white styrene. I decided not to scribe door panel lines, not worth the effort. I am thinking about  carving out the rear uprights and turn the four vains into two. In my eye the four sections on the uprights look more like a fish fin then a bat wing. 

IMG_6029.PNG

IMG_6028.PNG

IMG_6030.PNG

IMG_6031.PNG

IMG_6018.JPG

IMG_6019.JPG

IMG_6020.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 2019-06-09 at 10:43 AM, CabDriver said:

This is WILD, very very creative modifications - you have a great eye for this stuff!  Really nicely done!

Thanks a ton Jim.

Carving out of the fins is complete, probally will need some  more finish sanding after the filller primer is sprayed on.

I have also been considering adding a sharp lip/edge on the upper part of the entire body running out from the tapered wing edge. Although I am not convinced the effort is worth the reward. I have been trying to figure out the most efficient method of achieving this. So far everything I have though of leads to large amount of time filling and sanding styrene backing forms. 

In a final attempt at an idea I am going to try this triangle shaped rod, perhaps I can adapt one of these sizes to suit the need with minimal sanding/filling repeat many many times.

All comments welcomed, good or bad, I like to hear what people think. 

IMG_6060.JPG

IMG_6061.JPG

IMG_6062.JPG

Edited by Rider

A quick update. 

I was successful in adding on the fender/body lip extensions. I ended up used 2.5mm triangle rod. Once the glue sets I can get to shaping, filling and fine tuning the look. 

Thanks for looking in. All comments welcomed. 

IMG_6063.JPG

IMG_6064.JPG

IMG_6065.JPG

IMG_6066.JPG

12 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Love it. The changes really make a big difference.

Thanks Bob. I find it fascinating how a small change can make a big impact,  good or bad. 

8 hours ago, slusher said:

Keeps getting better and better! 

Thanks Carl, the trick now is to not get caught up in this too much and start going backwards. 

I have a few more mods then it should be ready to start the paint prep. After studying the pictures I can see the back side of the fins need the smaller sections lengthened. In their current state they look too short and stubby in relation to the new configuration. 

On 2019-06-04 at 2:41 PM, cobraman said:

Just came across this project. Your doing some fine and interesting work .

Thank you. 

On 2019-06-04 at 3:04 PM, Brandon Miller said:

Wow this is a kickass project.

Thanks for the interest and comments.

On 2019-06-05 at 11:13 AM, Superbird McMonte said:

I love this! I never really cared much for the movie Batmobile... till now!?

Thanks!

You and I are on the same page then.  I hope this continues to be eye appealing. I always hated the movie car too, it  looked so WRONG and toy like and unfinished in my opinion.