Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rider

On 2019-06-19 at 1:07 PM, iamsuperdan said:

My least favourite of all the Batmobiles, too cartoon-y for my tastes.

But your work is outstanding. Definitely looking like the best build of this kit I've seen.

:)

Thanks  Dan, I hope it turns out in the end.

On 2019-06-19 at 8:00 PM, KWT said:

Just found this... definitely awesome!

Cheers dude.

14 hours ago, David G. said:

Amazing work so far, I admire your creativity and dedication.

David G.

Thanks David. Dedication is a fine line from obsession, 

Picture:1 

After taking a closer look at the pictures I noticed the front left side area lip/ridge was way too far out of alignment in comparison to the right side. This had to be fixed.

Picutre:2

The replaced part, much  better. I also started shaping and filling the right side lip/ridge.

IMG_6066.JPG

IMG_6068.JPG

13 minutes ago, mchook said:

WOW! great work. The only problem I see is that your going to have to build another one box stock & put them side by side to show off this amazing transformation.;)

Thanks Mark. I have had the same thought. 

Thanks Mike, glad you are enjoying the progress.

A few more tiny mods. The centre ridge on the cockpit canopy, I also repositioned the two window struts a bit farther back and gave them a slightly steeper rack towards the back. 
The rear fenders still did not look right, and continue to look out of place as they always have. So with a deep breath I decided to add some .030 triangle ridges. 
The silly rear louvers have also been removed. I have yet to settle on what to do with the entire back lump. Sooooo ugly and out of place, but I guess it did tie into the original crappy design of a cartoonish looking vehicle. 

IMG_6101.JPG

IMG_6102.JPG

IMG_6103.JPG

Edited by Rider

5 hours ago, iBorg said:

2 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

EVERY single change you made has really made this car WAAAAAY better looking!!!!!

That's a huge compliment coming from a builder who takes great care and pride correcting the flaws you do. So thanks for that Dan. I appreciate it.

5 hours ago, iBorg said:

I just stumbled upon this. There is so much to like. What I really like is the fact you're not really changing it but rather enhancing it. If I ever get to mine, yours will be an inspiration.

Thanks Mike, I really hope it all comes together in paint.

2 hours ago, David G. said:

I can't wait to see it in final paint. Are you going with black?

David G.

It will look black in pictures, but will actually be Tamiya NATO black which is a super dark flat green, it will be cleared with gold pearl. The finished paint job will have another twist but I'll hold that until later. 

I think I have figured out what to do with the back, just need to scratch it up. 

Thanks for all th interest. 

Edited by Rider

This part of the build  is a trial and error fit, design. Not sure how I am going make it work so I started with sculpting the chute. Now that I kinda know the method I might do another one. One with much crisper lines and edges. Also trying a rough placement of the pack in the car. 

My though is to box it in, and perhaps make a sliding cover for it. 

Any feed back good bad etc on this is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks for looking in. 

IMG_1635.JPG

IMG_1637.JPG

IMG_1638.JPG

41/2hrs later and another change to the shell. I am hoping it will look less like a lump and flow better with the rest of the car. 

To achieve is I cut out most of the back to make room for the chute, this allowed me to reshape the back slope of the body. I cut the part that shrouds the jet cone and moved it up 8 scale inches, so it now sits on top of the body. I made a box for the chute then laid down .020x.125 strips of styrene. I will back fill the shell with c-channel strips to strengthen it for the filling, sanding and shaping process. 

I also sculpted a another chute, I think this one looks muck crisper. Although it now may be too boxy looking. 

Thanks for checking the progress out

IMG_6123.JPG

IMG_6124.JPG

IMG_6125.JPG

IMG_6127.JPG

IMG_6128.JPG

IMG_1640.JPG

Edited by Rider

The slow arduous process of filling/sanding/shaping has begun. I managed to session tonight. Third coat is on in the photos. 
I really enjoy this part, I find it super ralxing and highly focused, sometime too focused. On past projects I have completely forgot about the other end of a sanding pad or stick even a blade and done some real damage. Fortunately nothing like that happened this round. 

Thanks for following.

The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 4 Img_6122
The Batmobile from the '89 movie, - Page 4 Img_6123

20 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Coming along nicely.

Thanks Bob.

Shaping/sanding and filling today. 

I like to  use the saw blade as a tool to knock down the rough filler, much like "the cheese grader" is used in the real world of auto body work. With it's fine teeth and it's straight edge it provides a much better starting point when dragged perpendicular in the normal direction of use. The the saw teeth really knock down the filler  providing a much straighter/flatter starting point, less  dips and peaks to deal with when sanding. 

IMG_1654.JPG

IMG_1657.JPG

IMG_1660.JPG

Edited by Rider

Wow! Surprisingly smooth!

I know, that sounds like an ad for tobacco or whisky or something. :D

Seriously though. Given the roughness of the surface in the first photo the second one is surprisingly smooth. Did you use a glazing compound or is that the result of sanding work?

David G.

Thanks guys.

David, it's all 3M glazing putty. Then shaped/scraped down with the saw, then sanded with 320,500 grit. I then  sprayed it with Dulpicolor polyester filler primer. This stuff is incredible, when used properly it saves a ton of time with glaze filling and sanding. 

Thanks Dann. I'm excited to start the paint. The masking is going to be very labour intensive.

Small up date, lots of filler and shaping going on, and left to complete before paint.

The last pic is what I am attempting to replicate with the rear fender flares.

IMG_6178.JPG

IMG_6181.JPG

IMG_6179.JPG

IMG_6180.JPG