Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rider

On 7/11/2019 at 1:42 PM, Jantrix said:

This is terrific. The bad part is that I'm gonna feel like I'm halfassn it when I build mine. 

I agree, this one is going to look phenomenal! I built mine earlier this year in about two weeks and am ashamed to show it with everything going on with this one!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2019-07-11 at 1:42 PM, Jantrix said:

This is terrific. The bad part is that I'm gonna feel like I'm halfassn it when I build mine. 

Thanks man. Well it is a halfas kit to begin with so you'll be good. 

On 2019-07-17 at 12:01 AM, Jonathan said:

Epic work.  Really enjoying seeing this come along!

Thanks Jonathan.

On 2019-07-17 at 8:51 AM, Dragonhawk1066 said:

I agree, this one is going to look phenomenal! I built mine earlier this year in about two weeks and am ashamed to show it with everything going on with this one!

I appreciate that Craig. This has been about a year on and off the bench, lol, I am super slow.

On 2019-07-11 at 12:25 PM, cobraman said:

Yours are a huge improvement !

Thanks Ray.

One step closer to paint. I shot a few coats of filler primer, now to let it cure for a few days. So far so good, perhaps some white will go down Monday.

Thanks for checking in on the progress guys. 

IMG_6292.JPG

IMG_6293.JPG

IMG_6294.JPG

First colour down. 
My limited experience with Fluorescent colours shows here. This stuff is super tranlucent and requires multiple layers to build up the right shade. It bleeds like a stuck pig and runs like a runaway train down  hill.

I'll have a few spots to wet sand before I mask the pin strips, oh well all part of the learning. 

The black might be down this week. 

Thanks for looking in. 

IMG_6310.JPG

IMG_6311.JPG

IMG_6312.JPG

8 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Ohh, I’m really excited to see the paint go down on this thing!  Too cool!

Me too, thanks.

1 hour ago, James2 said:

Will you clear coat before masking the orange?

I may have to, the orange has a matt finish.

8 minutes ago, David G. said:

I'm still very interested in watching this play out. The orange has me intrigued.

David G.

Thanks for checking in dude. It's going to be a BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH shoot. ?

51 minutes ago, James2 said:

I think you'll find the orange would lift off with the tape also!

Thanks for your concern. What makes you think that will happen??

The orange is laid down over a light great, which was laid down over Duplicolor primer. The grey was matt, it will provide good mechanical bond for the orange. Most builders don't understand the reason for the window set out in the paint  instructions of the time line between coats and why you have to wait the 24-48hrs before you can recoat. 

The time line/window for repeated coats is to provide a chemical bond between layers. If you recoat out side that window you have to wait for the previous coat to gas off, then a scuff is needed in order to provide the next layer with a mechanical bond.

This is part of the reason primers are a matt finish. 

If you have another concern I am happy to hear it. ?

This isn't my first painting rodeo, ?. 

Edited by Rider

I built a short track car years ago using Tamiya's fluorescent paint over their primer and white gloss and had some lifting issues. I think because the Fluorescent color did not bite into the base color as well as others.

You may not have this issue but it might be a good idea to do a test, verses causing any damage. It's a beautiful model you have... 

6 minutes ago, James2 said:

I built a short track car years ago using Tamiya's fluorescent paint over their primer and white gloss and had some lifting issues. I think because the Fluorescent color did not bite into the base color as well as others.

You may not have this issue but it might be a good idea to do a test, verses causing any damage. It's a beautiful model you have... 

Thanks James. I am using Vallejo,over Tamiya. 

On 2019-07-30 at 9:46 PM, misterNNL said:

Simply stunning work.

2 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

This really is 10x's better than the original!!!!.....getting REALLY excited to see more, bud!!!

Thanks for the interest guys. Totally glad you are enjoying the transformation. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2019 at 10:40 AM, bobthehobbyguy said:

Looking forward to seeing the final paint.

?me too. Thanks for the continued interest.

On 8/3/2019 at 8:06 PM, KWT said:

Oh this really has me intrigued even more so than before. Looking Killer!

Thanks dude.

Hi guys, pin strip masking complete and partial painting started. 

Thanks for looking in.

IMG_6384.JPG

IMG_6385.JPG

IMG_6386.JPG

On 8/17/2019 at 10:36 AM, David G. said:

It looks like a burning ember!

David G.

Kinda eh, I have an idea from this to do another paint job with this theme.

Well this has taken a turn for the worst. ?

In all my years of building and painting I have NEVER had an issue with fish eyes in my paint. This paint job has an accumulation of fish eyes that could be called a school of fish eyes. I know what causes fish eyes in general but this is ridiculous. I must have washed my hands in oil or silicone before I did all the masking. 

I am really hoping the two wet layers of polyurethane I laid down will allow me to wet sand them out. If I can't wet sand them out the checkered pattern might be a moot process. 

?

IMG_1724.JPG

IMG_1725.JPG

IMG_1726.JPG

IMG_1727.JPG

Edited by Rider

Thanks for the confidence and encouragement guys. I will figure out something. I have an idea for a dio that may include the fish eyes into bullet holes, so far a hand full of others including myself also think they could pass as gun shot. 

Given the paint is a disaster waiting to get worse I decided to shoot a holographic clear then a dusting of colour change paint. 

The car is going to get a good battle scare treatment, I just have to figure out how to go about doing that. 

Here are some shots of where we are now with the paint.

Thanks for looking in.

IMG_1731.JPG

IMG_1732.JPG

IMG_1735.JPG

IMG_1736.JPG

IMG_1747.JPG

IMG_1748.JPG

IMG_1749.JPG

33 minutes ago, James2 said:

I have had similar problems before....

It's a real shame about the "fish eye" problem. Do you think you had moisture in the compressor?

Are sure there is no chance to redo the paint?

?I would agree with your assumptions about moisture i the tank, however I sprayed a test shell 20min earlier with no issues at all, plus I have a moisture trap at the AB. 

I could possibly redo the paint but not going to bother. The fish eyes look enough like bullet holes that I am going to weather them to fit the part. 

Thanks for checking it out.