Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rider

12 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Sorry to hear you've had some paint issues. Like your plan for making the fish eyes work as bullet holes.  I've never been a fan of stripping paint particullarly when so much body work is involved.  Looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks Bob, I have never tried stripping a shell with a ton of bondo. I think it will just eat the bondo. Do you have any experience with doing this? 

Given most of us are not Masters builders and seem to be for ever destine to be the willing apprentice I have decided to simply move forward on every build regardless of the issue and adapt and work with the issue at hand. 

23 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

No I haven't stripped paint on many projects. I had one project I did and the plastic got very brittle. Think the better course is to find a way to use an issue to your advantage as you are doing. Very plausible that the batmobile would have battle scars from its encounters with criminals.

I've been lucky with stripping parts and shells, never had an issue. But, I have never striped a shell that has had an extensive amount of filler. The have left completed builds soak in DOT 3 brake fluid of over a year with no notiable damage to the plastic, even the windows and lenses were ok. The only effected parts have been the tire's (those off road dessert dogs) they turned hard. 

I have also left parts in Easy-Off for over a year with out any issue, windshield too. 

I have a 1940's panel van chopped project that went sideways from years back, it's full of spot putty, I am going to toss it in brake fluid to see what happened. 

On 8/20/2019 at 9:01 AM, Rider said:

Thanks Bob, I have never tried stripping a shell with a ton of bondo. I think it will just eat the bondo. Do you have any experience with doing this? 

Given most of us are not Masters builders and seem to be for ever destine to be the willing apprentice I have decided to simply move forward on every build regardless of the issue and adapt and work with the issue at hand. 

I agree the bondo will disolve depending on your stripping agent. I use Purple Stuff and it does eat bondo.

17 hours ago, Jantrix said:

I agree the bondo will disolve depending on your stripping agent. I use Purple Stuff and it does eat bondo.

I can't see how anything that dissolves lacquer would not damage drying bondo. Perhaps setting 2prt putty might be ok given it is a thermoset type and actually goes through a chemical/structural change during the curing process.

17 hours ago, Lunajammer said:

What breaks my heart for the paint woes is I thought it looked pretty cool just like this.

Sorry to disappoint, although I have to agree with you. I like the look of this too, which is why I have an idea to use it on another build, either a low rider or hot rod. ?

Edited by Rider

28 minutes ago, Peter Lombardo said:

The black paint is a real "shame" that it didn't work as planned...... oh well, you know the old saying, "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade".  You are doing what you can with it.  

Thanks Peter. ?

1 hour ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Nice weathering job. Actually think it is more realistic than a shiny version. Besides it would be more than likely there would be a second batmobile so that maintenxce and upkeep could be done. Looking forward to more.

Thanks Bob, I tend to agree with you. I actually thought of that too, in reality there would be a car for everyday of the week. 

I did some more work on the bullet holes, trying to make them more believable. 

IMG_1761.JPG

IMG_1766.JPG

IMG_1768.JPG

IMG_1769.JPG

IMG_6426.JPG

IMG_6427.JPG

18 hours ago, Paul Payne said:

Rider, those bullet and maybe shrapnel holes really do look realistic!

I built this version shortly after it came out- here's a couple of pics.

modelpix 001.jpg

modelpix 002.jpg

Thanks for looking in Paul, cool build dude, real nice work on the dash, wow. Check out the biceps on batman, huge, way out of proposition, lol. 

I also built this kit way back in '93, I ended up giving it to some kid in the neighbourhood. 

• 1 month later...