Model Cars Magazine Forum

Complete bonuses in kits

Back in the 60s AMT put part of a ''motorcycle'' into 1962 Styline Thunderbird kit. When looking at the back of the instruction sheet it pointed out by arrows what parts were included in your kit, and stated the remainder of parts can be found in other AMT Styline hardtop kits .As a kid I never paid attention to those bonus parts or ever completed the bonus item. It now seems like a cool gimmick from back then to sell more kits , instead of having to mail something or send a dime somewhere you received  your bonus on the spot.DSC05347DSC05344DSC05345

Aside from the '62 T-Bird kit, these are the other Styline kits I found with the bonus Triumph motorcycle parts:

1962 Ford Galaxie Hardtop S-122 

1962 Buick Electra S-522 

1962 Pontiac Hardtop S-622

1962 Chevrolet Impala Hardtop S-722

1962 Corvette Hardtop #S-922

S-722 contains the elusive frame.

Aside from the '62 T-Bird kit, these are the other Styline kits I found with the bonus Triumph motorcycle parts:

1962 Ford Galaxie Hardtop S-122 

1962 Buick Electra S-522 

1962 Pontiac Hardtop S-622

1962 Chevrolet Impala Hardtop S-722

1962 Corvette Hardtop #S-922

S-722 contains the elusive frame.

Hey Joe, Any chance you might post the part of the Instruction Sheet showing which parts came with which kit??

Here you go, Ed. I could only find four out of five.

S-122:

62fordhdtpinst8-vi.thumb.jpg.5c848e03540

S-522:

File7-vi.thumb.jpg.4d1c5a638eb9d1a4abe8a

S-622:

amt_1962pontb_is08vi-vi.thumb.jpg.949391

S-922:

Inst8-vi.thumb.jpg.9c5de4d913c6f3d32979b

Sorry about S-722. The instruction sheet isn't posted at Drastic Plastic, I don't have a copy and I couldn't locate one online. Perhaps somebody here can fill that order.

Edited by SfanGoch

I knew the history, but never saw it all laid out like that!  Thanks for the presentation!   I'm a sucker for these things so I would've bought all 6 kits to complete the Triumph.   I don't know if that would fly today. First we don't have annuals. I'm thinking that all six kits were released at the same time or close together, so a kid with a bank account would've been able to buy them in a short amount of time.

And I can already hear the moaning on the boards!

If you check out the box to the left of the bike, AMT lists not only the kits containing the Triumph parts, but also the kits containing the Go-Kart parts. They're all '62 model years. It'd be nice if Round 2 re-released these eleven kits if they still have all of the molds. Then, you'd really hear the collective moans from the guys who forked over three Franklins for one of the originals. :)

Edited by SfanGoch

We have gotten the Electra 225 Twice in the past 15-20 years!!

Pro-Shop, and most recently Retro-Deluxe.

NEITHER had the Motorcycle parts

I Have Both issues. Retro Did return some Custom parts and Convertible Only parts

but NO motorcycle parts!!

So Even If they Did have All the other kits, do they still have the Motorcycle or go-cart parts tools!!!!!

Joe Please Don't be Sorry, Thank You for presenting the Sheets. After looking at the sheets for a bit I knew where I had seen them before, Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland repopped the Triumph and even used the same Instructions! Seems what AMT did was chop up the Kit into sections so each kit got a portion of the parts tree. But AMT only offered a portion of the Complete Kit as they left out the Racing Faring.

Not only wash there the Triumph, there was a second set of bonus parts for a Go-Kart in other '62 AMT annual kits.  

All the Triumph parts reappeared in the '63 Chevy pickup kit, and the Go-Kart parts reappeared in their entirety in the '63 F100 pickup kit.  Not only that, AMT added for '63 a Bonneville style envelope canopy for the Triumph, and a Bonnevelle streamliner style canopy for the Go Kart, in effect making both the cycle and the Kart "3 in 1" builders for '63.

For those Forum members who also read Model Cars magazine, I did an extensive article on both of these subjects including buildups about 7 or 8 years ago (they were on the cover of the issue).  If you like this subject, try to find the issue or by the back issue - there's more to the story.DSC 0077

DSC 0270 DSC 0433 AMT 1962 Triumph BonnevilleBest Regards...TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

I knew the history, but never saw it all laid out like that!  Thanks for the presentation!   I'm a sucker for these things so I would've bought all 6 kits to complete the Triumph.   I don't know if that would fly today. First we don't have annuals. I'm thinking that all six kits were released at the same time or close together, so a kid with a bank account would've been able to buy them in a short amount of time.

And I can already hear the moaning on the boards!

If I recall, the kits that included the "bonus parts" were released in about an 6 - 8 month span. It was fun receiving these parts and also waiting for the other kit releases to appear on the shelves. It was a great time for car modeling back in the 60's.

Hey, we don't see bonus parts anymore; but, we do get free whoopee cushions. ;) 

Hey, we don't see bonus parts anymore; but, we do get free whoopee cushions. ;) 

Whoopee cushions are okay with me. It's a fun little extra in Curly's Gasser. But, I really want the go kart. That and the canoe, paddles, and roof rack at came with MPC's '69 Bonneville hardtop kit. I really like those type extra bonuses.

Edited by unclescott58

Here's the "custom" version of the AMT bonus Triumph....with the kit apehangers (note that AMT called these "Crazy Bars" in their instructions), different seat and custom tailamp, etc.  These "Custom" version parts were in the '62 bonus parts series, plus the '63 Chevy pickup kits.   And yes, Norm still offers these - he often features the Triumph in his ad in each issue of Model Cars magazine, as a matter of fact.DSC 0485.  

Another shot of the "stock" Triumph Bonneville 650 for direct comparison...(btw the paint colors and layout below were factory correct for a '62 650....)DSC 0433  The detail engraving (such as on the tank) of this AMT Triumph Bonneville is outstanding....

TB

Edited by tim boyd

• 2 years later...
On 10/4/2015 at 9:30 PM, SfanGoch said:

Sorry about S-722. The instruction sheet isn't posted at Drastic Plastic, I don't have a copy and I couldn't locate one online. Perhaps somebody here can fill that order.

Were the left and right frame halves the only two parts included with the AMT S-722 '62 Chevy Impala kit? I would guess the kickstand was included, too?:

amt62impbikeparts.jpg.01911e7d66e5520487cfd05e6bc30fc8.jpg

Scan of the AMT '62 T-bird HT's relevant instruction sheet page:

AMT1962TbirdHT8.jpg.d46759eb0a55cde11eafd6c55c7602e3.jpg

Edited by Casey

And if you have trouble with that Photobucket link:

5b7e318cc5f78_62t-birdinstructions.jpg.376bfc0ca4710c0f53ceaca5c4c46b08.jpg

(Seriously - I get a broken link here, and when I go to PB, the image appears for one second and goes back to the broken image symbol. It took several tries to get the screengrabs I needed to tile it together. Anyone else have this problem?)