Model Cars Magazine Forum

1956 Ford Fairlane Victoria

mrmike

I must have ADD because I am starting another project.  This time it is a '56 Ford Fairlane Victoria.  I have seen more than my fair share of Tri-Five Hot Rod Chevys, but rarely do you ever see a Hot Rod '56 Ford since most of them are stock.  They are out there, just not as common as a Chevy.  My first car was a '56 Ford Customline 4-Door Sedan and I truly enjoyed owning it for 4+ months so I have an affinity towards a '56 Ford.  I sold it so I could buy a '63 Ford Galaxie 500, but I can never forget that '56.  This is the only picture of this car that I could find and I found it on Yahoo Images.  I'll be replicating this car, but with a few minor changes.  This is the kit that I am using, the AMT/Model King '56 Ford.  The body has been assembled, but I think I'll add a small rare earth magnet and a sliver of metal into the door jambs to help keep the doors closed.  The 292 CI Thunderbird Dual Quad engine is mostly assembled and in the process of being wired and the transmission has been replaced with a Ford C4 Automatic trans.  The body will be painted in a two-tone of Model Master Go-Mango roof and lower body with a Tamiya TS-45 Pearl White hood, trunk, and upper doors and a Tamiya TS-65 Pearl Clearcoat.

More to come...

56 Ford Fairlane Victoria.jpg

56Viky01.JPG

56Viky02.JPG

56Viky03.JPG

Edited by mrmike

Thanks guys!  I've had this kit in the stash for several years and my first intention was to build it mostly stock, slightly lowered, with a resin continental kit for a '57 Ford that I had acquired.  I went looking for pictures on Google Images of a similar car with paint colors that I had in my stash.  That all changed when I found this picture with orange and white paint and Cragar SS mags and I knew I just had to build it.  I will attempt to have opening doors with a rare earth magnet and a sliver of metal in the door jambs to keep them closed.  This should be fun!  

I have a '57 Del Rio Wagon in the stash and this '56 Fairlane Victoria that I am working on.  The '57 looks long and low while the '56 looks shorter and more upright.  I prefer the '56 over the '57.  I'm looking forward to spraying the GoMango and Pearl White soon!

On 9/10/2018 at 5:43 PM, mrmike said:

I have a '57 Del Rio Wagon in the stash and this '56 Fairlane Victoria that I am working on.  The '57 looks long and low while the '56 looks shorter and more upright.  I prefer the '56 over the '57.  I'm looking forward to spraying the GoMango and Pearl White soon!

That Del Rio needs a lot of work to look right, that 56 on the other-hand, will look right out of the box.

Keep going, love these 56 Fords and do not see enough built.

9 hours ago, Sledsel said:

That Del Rio needs a lot of work to look right, that 56 on the other-hand, will look right out of the box.

Keep going, love these 56 Fords and do not see enough built.

What's wrong with the Del Rio Wagon?  They look fine to me especially when lowered and have a good tire and wheel set under them.

9 hours ago, slusher said:

I like your plans for this Mike so I will follow along friend...

Thanks Carl!  I hope the '56 comes out great...

1 hour ago, mrmike said:

What's wrong with the Del Rio Wagon?  They look fine to me especially when lowered and have a good tire and wheel set under them.

Thanks Carl!  I hope the '56 comes out great...

on page 6 of the Del Rio review I list the problems, on page 9 I posted pictures with descriptions of the major flaws. There are actually more.           http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/95522-125-revell-ford-del-rio-ranch-wagon-2n1/?page=6

6 hours ago, Sledsel said:

on page 6 of the Del Rio review I list the problems, on page 9 I posted pictures with descriptions of the major flaws. There are actually more.           http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/95522-125-revell-ford-del-rio-ranch-wagon-2n1/?page=6

Well now, it appears that you have done a lot of homework on this and you should be congratulated for it.  But, for me, I just want to build a good looking model and I will.  That's all.  All the things you point out may be good if someone is building a 100% accurate model, but I don't build that type of model...cars or otherwise.  The things you have pointed out don't bother me at all.  If I wanted to correct them all, I might give it a go, but I don't think so.  I have other details that I would like to try and to add.  I do thank you for pointing these things out to me!  I once said that I don't care if a panel line or some detail of a model car body is not correct as I am only interested in making a good looking model.  I have said this for a couple of decades and it reminds me of the hoopla surrounding the re-issued Revell '70 AAR 'Cuda.  I built one my way and I was very satisfied with the job I did on it.  Anyone else could only see the flaws in the body itself.  I am not perfect and neither are my models.  Sorry!    

6 hours ago, Sledsel said:

I agree 100%. Never the less, I built a few 1957 Fords by Revell. I bought enough of those to build one in each color Ford offered, and I plan on doing that. Next one will be Colonial White. I wish I had started this project building the AMT Ford. 

6 hours ago, Lovefordgalaxie said:

I agree 100%. Never the less, I built a few 1957 Fords by Revell. I bought enough of those to build one in each color Ford offered, and I plan on doing that. Next one will be Colonial White. I wish I had started this project building the AMT Ford. 

And your builds are beautiful and photography is second to none. My 57 Custom hit a snag, went into the purple pond because there was a flaw I couldn't look past. Been in the box since.

0828151350-00.thumb.jpg.71635a9d4ee53bf65ed4c25d02374bdb.jpg

16 hours ago, Lovefordgalaxie said:

I appreciate your devotion to Fords in general. The AMT '56 Ford is a very different kit than the '57 Revell kits as I'm sure you're aware after build several of them. The AMT kit still stands up well against many of the newer kits and was a very advanced kit at the time of its release. I enjoy watching your builds as they are all exceptional. I had a high school friend that I rode to school with every day, his '56 was a white over blue tutone with a white convertible top. He had the 292 engine with the Fordomatic.       

I wish the best karma for building yours!  I got the kit with a GSL contestant bag, so I knocked it Out Of Box without worrying about a shiny paint job.  I opened up the grill, which messed it up, but that was a bonus in this case.  Getting the front parts on was like being blindfolded.  There is no body/chassis mount at the back, so plan on adding something like a perch with perhaps using screws (I do that on most builds now).  Otherwise it was a fun project.

IMG_3818_Fotor.jpg

Mr mike I own a 56 Ford Victoria mild custom. it has a 312 v8 with a single 4 barrel carb. It has Smoothes on it for wheels instead of Cragar ss wheels. It is burnt orange and white with a tuck and role interior. I would be happy to send you any picture of the car you would like. With that being said i do not have a lift at the house.

victoria.jpg

Nice Fords everyone!

23 hours ago, slicks56 said:

Mr mike I own a 56 Ford Victoria mild custom. it has a 312 v8 with a single 4 barrel carb. It has Smoothes on it for wheels instead of Cragar ss wheels. It is burnt orange and white with a tuck and role interior. I would be happy to send you any picture of the car you would like. With that being said i do not have a lift at the house.

victoria.jpg

Thank you for the offer of pictures of your '56 Ford, slicks56!  That is one sharp looking '56 Ford!  I also owned a '56 Customline as my first car and I have those pictures to fall back on if I have too.  Based on the original picture I had posted, I have been able to extrapolate the visual details that I'll need.  But, I also have an insatiable need for information about this particular '56 Ford Victoria.  The picture originally came from Pinterest and that means that it could have come from anywhere and while I have been trying to find it's origin, I have a feeling that the extra effort will not pay off.   

I hung the doors on the body, but these are not the original doors from the kit.  Those doors were mis-shapened and these came from Mr. Prestigious aka Barry!  Thank you Barry!  The driver's door had to be re-hung after the glue dried since it didn't want to shut properly.  I still plan on having a rare earth magnet and a piece of steel in the door jambs to help keep them closed.  I had these tires in my parts box, so I lettered them with a white Gelly Roll pen and my magnifier.

More to come...

56Viky04.JPG

56Viky05.JPG

56Viky06.JPG