Model Cars Magazine Forum

1956 Ford Fairlane Victoria

mrmike

After doing some more research, I have repainted the interior door panels.  So far the only body parts that got any paint are the headlight bezels.  Another coat of white primer and I am almost ready for paint! 

More to come...

56Viky34.JPG

56Viky35.JPG

56Viky36.JPG

I am now starting the process for painting a two-tone paint scheme.  First, a couple mist coats of Tamiya TS-26 Pure White.  I paint the entire body in the Pure White with the mist coats and will build them up from there.

More to come...

56Viky37.JPG

56Viky38.JPG

56Viky39.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Since I had my paintbooth up and running yesterday, I went and added two more coats of Tamiya TS-26 Pure White to the body and hood, then I tossed them both into the dehydrator for four hours at 105 degrees.  Next up is some wet sanding to remove some trash that got into the paint along the way.

More to come...

56Viky40.JPG

56Viky41.JPG

56Viky42.JPG

I finally got the Fairlane painted in two-tone Go-Mango and white.  I need to do some cleanup here and there, but it's not bad.  I haven't decided if the engine bay will be Go-Mango or white, so this is how it is sitting right now.  Lots left to do on this one.  And, I still have to foil it and clearcoat it, too!

More to come...

56Viky43.JPG

56Viky44.JPG

56Viky45.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to pull out the '56 Fairlane today to work on it a little bit.  I added the reflectors and the headlight shrouds and then I notice the paint didn't match.  I sprayed some paint into a cup and with a brush, I painted the shrouds.  I took the chassis out of the box and placed it on the desk and noticed that the wheels were facing in different directions.  The tie rod seems to be pulling the front wheels in different directions and I really don't want to tear the suspension apart to make any corrections.  I used one of my large clamps to squeeze the wheels together and I'll leave this overnight.  If this doesn't work, I'll have to take the suspension apart and fix it.

More to come...

56Viky46.JPG

56Viky47.JPG

56Viky48.JPG

Well, the repair of squeezing the front tires towards each other didn't work.  I used a pair of small needle nose pliers and gently bent the spindle arms towards the frame, effectively lengthening the tie rod.  But, this lead me to discover another problem.  The lower A-arm assembly was molded wrong and the left front wheel is canted.  I have an idea on how to fix it, but requires taking the front suspension apart, which I don't want to do.  I may just leave it.

More to come...

56Viky49.JPG

56Viky50.JPG

56Viky51.JPG

I removed the left front wheel from the rest of the front suspension and took it apart.  I cleaned up all the parts and made sure that all surfaces were flat and clean and reassembled them all.  The end result is the left front wheel sitting as it should.

More to come...

56Viky52.JPG

56Viky53.JPG

56Viky54.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

It's been almost four weeks since I have done anything with the '56 Fairlane.  I took the Fairlane with me to my Play Date with two of my fellow Club members and used Barry's marvelous paintbooth!  I sprayed the Fairlane with two coats of Tamiya TS-65 Pearl Clear and it looks fabulous!  It is kind of hard to see the pearl, but it is there!  I decided to paint the engine compartment with Model Master Go Mango to match the exterior and then I placed the body into my dehydrator for four hours.  Next up will be to paint the headliner flat white and then to foil the body now that I have some decent foil.

More to come...

56Viky55.JPG

56Viky56.JPG

56Viky57.JPG

I love it!! 

It's going to be a knock out for sure. 

By the way, the position the headlight reflectors are on the pictures, is it their definitive place? That is the only issue I have with this kit, the headlight lenses are way way too thick. If sanded from behind, the lenses will loose all the texture that imitates the sealed beam glass, and become useless. 

On the first '56 Fairlane I built I was not able to use the kit's lenses, as the glass would protrude out of the headlight doors about 2mm. Used the lenses from a Revell '48 Ford Custom Coupe, and they fit perfect.

If you do a mock up with the chrome reflectors where they are, and the kit's headlight glass, you will see what I'm saying. At this point, with the paint looking so great, I would use headlight glass from another kit, instead of sanding the originals and having just clear lenses over the reflectors. 

Tulio, I understand your concern as I see the thickness of the headlight lenses and the depth of the reflectors within their shrouds.  The backside of the lenses are scooped enough that sanding them on the back should reduce their thickness considerably and a thin coat of gloss clear will help to "polish" them.  If worse comes to worse, I feel pretty confident that I have other lenses in my parts box that are thinner.

On November 25, 2018 at 11:21 AM, mrmike said:

I removed the left front wheel from the rest of the front suspension and took it apart.  I cleaned up all the parts and made sure that all surfaces were flat and clean and reassembled them all.  The end result is the left front wheel sitting as it should.

More to come...

56Viky52.JPG

56Viky53.JPG

56Viky54.JPG

Much better Mike,it drives me crazy when one wheel and tire lays out..

Thanks Carl!  I'm not 100% sure what had happened over time, but that wheel and tire were put together correctly.  When I fixed the issue with the toe out, the issue of the camber showed up.  Perhaps the camber issue was because of the wheel not sitting flush on itself and I may have turned the wheel. 

Now that I have been able to get my hands on a decent sheet of BMF, I have started foiling the body on this '56 Fairlane.  This took me almost an hour last night including polishing the foil.  So far, so good!

More to come...

56Viky58.JPG

56Viky59.JPG

56Viky60.JPG