Model Cars Magazine Forum

1956 Ford Fairlane Victoria

mrmike

Thank you Andy!  The plugs wires were installed via a technique I had learned partially from Tim Boyd.  It is a technique applied to funny car distributors and I used it on stock builds.  I had started originally doing this years ago and Tim's method allowed me to refine the technique.

I did a mockup this morning to check my progress.  The rake looks spot on for what I am looking for.  I wanted to see what the engine mounting would be like since I replaced the manual trans with a C4 auto trans.  I was worried that the fan would be hitting the radiator, but it seems to clear it easily.  But, the engine mounting is only at the oil pan and there are no frame mounts for the engine.  I'll have to make a set of frame mounts that go to the engine mounts.  Other than the engine mounting issue, I am very happy with the mockup and now I can move forward with bodywork and painting the two-tone paint scheme. 

More to come...

56Viky13.JPG

56Viky14.JPG

56Viky15.JPG

4 hours ago, afx said:

Great stance and wheel/tire combo.

Thanks JC!

5 hours ago, Bob Ellis said:

I like the '56 Mercury station wagon tail lights that come with the kit. My brother's friend had them on his real '56 convertible.

These older cars are great candidates for customization.  Mine will be a street machine.

Been thinking about the front bench seat and I decided to open the splt backs.  I used a chisel-point and a No. 11 pointed blade to cut out and to trim the seat back.  I just need to fill in the inside of the seat backs with some styrene.

More to come...

56Viky16.JPG

56Viky17.JPG

56Viky18.JPG

Edited by mrmike

Mike, 

Thanks

I found a real one for sale on the net that had like 56 photos of the car and was able to use it for reference.   It was dead stock.  I had already used hte stock 56 wheels on another project, but those little moons were perfect for the feeing I wanted.   I can't wait to see yours.

I made some seat belts today with seat belt hardware from Model Car Garage and some strips of Tamiya 1/4 inch masking tape.  I cut the strips of tape with my hobby knife at 3/32 inch and fed it through the hardware.  I doubled over the tape and stuck them together on the sticky side.  I used an orange Sharpie to color the tape.  This is just a quicky mockup for illustration purposes.

More to come...

56Viky25.JPG

56Viky26.JPG

56Viky27.JPG