Model Cars Magazine Forum

GMC's Tower of Power & Other GMC Trucks

I remember many trucks with the "lollypop" turn signals on the top of their fenders. In that era turn signals and even a second tail light was still an option and not required in most states. This model truck would usually have just one tail light combined with the license mounting on one of the rear doors. The car in the background on the showroom floor looks like a '49 or '50 Chevrolet. This maybe a truck the dealership used for a parts chaser or something and they added some of the dealer installed dress up items that they sold. Who ever did the lettering did a real nice job. 

• 2 weeks later...

These are very handsome looking trucks. The bed sides are fiberglass so you would want to be very carful loading and unloading from the side. I notice some interesting cars parked behind the truck. The first one looks like a Porsche with a Ski Rack on the back. The next one is a beautiful looking early Cadillac extended sedan. Then a '46 thru '48 Ford tudoor sedan, then a '57 Plymouth maybe ? 

Chrome wheels are odd on this type of truck, but this might be another one of those GMC show trucks. Trailer looks very familiar. Frontier Resin offers the '60-'63 version on this truck. Rookie Resin offers the V6 engine.

IMG_0735.JPG

Edited by leafsprings

On 9/23/2019 at 10:31 AM, Casey said:

gmc.jpg.db8aebf68a582ab30eae60bd8e4612b3.jpg

Median price for the homes listed for sale today in Larkspur, CA is $1,695,000.

I don't remember ever seeing one of these GMCs or Chevys done as a fire truck. It looks really nice!

2 hours ago, Rodent said:

Median price for the homes listed for sale today in Larkspur, CA is $1,695,000.

I don't remember ever seeing one of these GMCs or Chevys done as a fire truck. It looks really nice!

The GMC - Chevy tilt cab is on my resin wishlist  want thread, for some reason GM units were never as popular as the Ford. Matchbox covered this cab very accurately 5 decades ago, another  opportunity for the 1/25  cottage industry. Speaking of Larkspur, looks like Magnolia Ave.

Edited by leafsprings

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2020 at 11:43 AM, Casey said:

103410718_1553809774787104_4348045461764085759_o.jpg.0ef99f4463854c6291b7cc049d00818e.jpg

Cool photo!  I think I want to build that truck.

That dealership is still there. I worked there for a short time several years ago. The address on the truck is for what was the truck sales building that was two blocks east of the main dealership building. The photo was taken in front of the main building, now updated to the corporate Chevrolet dealer appearance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I remember when GM was playing with a couple of their GMC V6 engines bolted together to make a V12. I don't recall all the chrome trim, but for display it would make since. The V6 was a torque monster but loved to eat gas. 

1 hour ago, espo said:

I remember when GM was playing with a couple of their GMC V6 engines bolted together to make a V12. I don't recall all the chrome trim, but for display it would make since. The V6 was a torque monster but loved to eat gas. 

Yes, lots of chrome on the above display engine, but a unique engine for sure: http://6066gmcguy.com/TwinSix.html

5532e398b6cf37491dbb08ce05f94028.jpg.1a45da3176397bebd7a38485196df528.jpg