Model Cars Magazine Forum

Good Bye Wire Wheels!!

Lovefordgalaxie

Now I can say I like how the car looks.

43632666465_826a47b747_c.jpg1953 Ford Crestline Sunliner by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

30671990738_d546744eb4_c.jpg1953 Ford Crestline Sunliner by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

43823955954_9eccc925ba_c.jpg1953 Ford Crestline Sunliner by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

Before:

42605090450_83bb62266f_c.jpg1953 Ford Crestline Sunliner by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

Edited by Lovefordgalaxie

Túlio, I have to say that I like those wheels MUCH better than those wires! I have this kit (picked it up real cheap at a show for $5.00!), and those wire wheels never looked right to me either. The wires are just too thick, and I don't think they suit the character of the car. Wire wheels seem to be more suited for a Lincoln.

Gorgeous paint job BTW......LOVE that shade of green! B)

In 1957 when I was 16, I owned a '53 hardtop, there were 3 of us in town that had them.  2 of us had the standard full wheel factory hubcaps and the other one had dog dish hubcaps.  During the next year we all added bubble skirts on the rear and Oldsmobile spinners on the front. We lived in the metro Detroit area and I don't recall ever seeing wire wheels on any Fords back then.

Your models are always top notch in every respect and I usually search them out when looking for ideas on how to improve my detailing skills.  The cars we kids drove during this period were almost exclusively Fords and Chevys.  Usually when looking at your models I can say "oh yeah Bill or Terry or Mike had one of those!"

Thanks guys!!!

2 hours ago, Againmikewins said:

What kit did you find these wheels in? They look awesome and bring this car to even greater level!

The wheels are resin copies of the steel wheels on the Revell 1957 Ford kit.

2 hours ago, Ken Gilkeson said:

I guess I'm the oddball, wire wheels look better with all the chrome trim and metallic paint. dog pans are for black walled tires and plain paint without a lot of chrome trim. Super nice model though, just my opinion.

I always loved dog dish hubcaps. Never liked wire wheels. Even the nicely molded ones. Full wheel covers are way nicer than wire wheels, but my real favorites are the dog dishes. 

1 hour ago, modelercarl said:

In 1957 when I was 16, I owned a '53 hardtop, there were 3 of us in town that had them.  2 of us had the standard full wheel factory hubcaps and the other one had dog dish hubcaps.  During the next year we all added bubble skirts on the rear and Oldsmobile spinners on the front. We lived in the metro Detroit area and I don't recall ever seeing wire wheels on any Fords back then.

Your models are always top notch in every respect and I usually search them out when looking for ideas on how to improve my detailing skills.  The cars we kids drove during this period were almost exclusively Fords and Chevys.  Usually when looking at your models I can say "oh yeah Bill or Terry or Mike had one of those!"

Thank you!!

You don't recall wire wheels on Fords in 1953, because they were only installed on the Indy Pace car, and on the replicas Ford sold. The 1:1 wheels were made by Kelsey Hayes using as a base their Buick wheels, but with a Ford lug pattern. Those were not available on regular Sunliners. 

The Lindberg kit was originally released as a Pace Car. They never revised the wheel problem on the non Pace Car reissues.