Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ladies and Gentlemen! The Ron Fellows white C6R

ismaelg

Hello,

This one is done!  Thank you for accompanying me on this journey.  I have to say it was a fun build. 

Ron Fellows is one of the most important drivers and primary responsible for bringing the current Corvette Racing program up and running.  Also one of my all time favorite race car drivers as well.  By 2007 he was retiring from active racing driving, but to remain very active as a team's consultant for years to come.   To celebrate his accomplishments,  GM offered a Ron Fellows Special Edition Z06 Corvette, each one personally signed by him.   In the 2007 Sebring 12 hour race,  the #3 car (Chassis C6R-005) he was co-driving with Johnny O'Connell and Jan Magnussen was painted white with maple leaf red hash marks, like his special edition.  But Canadian Ron Fellows was also known as the "Mayor of Mosport" as the Ontario venue was his home track.  So for the 2007 IMSA Grand Prix of Mosport, held on August 26,  they surprised everybody by entering a third C6R  (Chassis C6R-003) in the Ron Fellows special edition white color scheme.  Andy Pilgrim was his co-driver for that race.  Since both main cars were in the race as #3 and #4, this car raced as #33.  The car came in 3rd place behind the other 2 Corvettes completing 116 laps.    The race was only  2 hours and 45 minutes and the weather was good.  So at the end the car was not as dirty as after a long endurance  race like Sebring, Daytona or LeMans. That's why I did not weather it. This car, chassis # C6R-003, was eventually sold to an european private team (Luc Alphand) in 2008.  Unfortunately,  it was destroyed in a massive transporter fire in 2009.

Hope you like it!
2v2J5PWQqxJ21ND.jpg

Started with Revell C6R.  Speedline decals.  Too many mods to list.  I think only the windshield, back glass, headlight covers and tail lights  are the only non modified kit's parts in this build.

2v2J5PWarxJ21ND.jpg

If I concentrate I can hear it idling...

2v2J5PWHNxJ21ND.jpg

2v2J5PWwrxJ21ND.jpg

2v2J5PWKdxJ21ND.jpg

Roof mounted TV camera, antennas and transponder details.

2v2J5PWZnxJ21ND.jpg

Mandatory front tow hook

2v2J5PW1yxJ21ND.jpg

As expected, the interior can barely be seen.

2v2J5PWp5xJ21ND.jpg

2v2J5PWfjxJ21ND.jpg

Mandated rear tow hook

2v2J5PWA8xJ21ND.jpg

Hey!  Look who came to play!  My first C6-R (fully detailed) built over 10 years ago! 
The wiper is in raised position in the yellow one. That's why it looks weird from this angle

2v2J5kuPoxJ21ND.jpg

Here is the link to the yellow car.

I had a great time with this build but it is not perfect.  The clear did not perform as I expected (maybe user error?). It reacted with the decals.  I was able to polish it out to acceptable levels but if you get really close and under the right light you will notice it.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,

16 hours ago, Nacho Z said:

Are you kidding me?!?!  How awesome is this car?!?!  I love it!  Love the story and the build details too.  I will have to find the build thread and go through it.  Beautiful job!

Thanks guys!

Nacho,  here is the link to the progress thread.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/133111-ron-fellows-mosport-white-c6r/

Thanks!

Tommy and Joe, Thank you for your comments!

20 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

Fantastic build!  :rolleyes:

Even at second and third glance, I don't see any issues with the clear and the decals.

What kind of clear did you use? 

Tommy,  I used 2K clear from Gravity. I think maybe the ratios could have been a bit off.  I've used it before with good results.  The clear kind of  orange peeled lightly, but more noticeable over the decals and did not level. The decals had over 2 weeks to dry.  I was able to carefully polish it out and level it as much as possible. 

Thanks,