Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jaguar D-Type XKD 606

FabbricaP

Hi all,

Here is my latest build. It is Profil24's awesome Jaguar D-Type long nose kit. This car, XKD 606, was the second to last factory D-Type built and won first overall at the 1957 24 Hours of Le Mans with Ivor Bueb and Ron Flockhart at the wheel driving for Ecurie Ecosse. The top four places as well as sixth were taken by D-Types. This dominant showing was a big reason I chose to build this particular car. I added a lot of extra detailing including brake and oil lines, engine piping/plumbing, some electric wires and interior bits. Not only was this a very satisfying build, but it allowed me to overcome a fear of resin kits :rolleyes:

Anyways, here's the build. Be warned.. I had a bit of fun with the camera and took copious pictures..

Thanks for looking in!

WIP posted here

oB4yMDd.jpg

mugJodb.jpg

nuMTqhQ.jpg

xdtxjkO.jpg

rMXJQ8x.jpg

RIjWu6G.jpg

w4B0Ok9.jpg

zFTWfjS.jpg

OeaQGuD.jpg

oQlkfP5.jpg

1TUAOm5.jpg

qdCt6JA.jpg

i4QsWRx.jpg

3QEtDQC.jpg

gMmvOhq.jpg

lVTIEOj.jpg

HA3BqmO.jpg

I also tried making a simple diorama base for the first time. Tried to make the pit area at Circuit de la Sarthe.

arLG1H5.jpg

kggPD11.jpg

rITpI2w.jpg

Ic08noE.jpg

Edited by FabbricaP

Nicely done build of the D-Type Jaguar Jason, and also overcoming the fear of resin kits is something I have faced myself, with positive results. I particularly noticed your textured tarmac for the diorama base of the pit area. How did you do that, or is it in your WIP link? My diorama tarmac is just grey paint on plywood, so I need to come up with something like your excellent diorama base.

David

11 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Wow, what a beauty!  I have another Profil24 kit, the Audi Quattro S1, I should look at your WIP to see how well this went together.

Thanks Kurt, in general this kit had pretty good parts fit but definitely required alot of parts prep and endless test fitting. Stance and wheel alignment were not issues though so that was a relief. The body/engine/wheels is where I think Profil24’s kit really shines. I’m sure ur Audi will look Sharp when completed!

9 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Jason, you've done absolute justice to what I think is one of the most beautiful road racers of the'50's! Absolutely STUNNING build, and I love all the fine details! :wub:

Thanks Bill, your engine detailing on the D-type was great reference material for this build!

9 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Wow this is stunning. 

7 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Congratulations on an outstanding build.

7 hours ago, ismaelg said:

Stunning job on a beautiful car! Absolutely love it!

7 hours ago, GeeBee said:

If I hadn't seem the last photo, I would have sworn that was the real car and not a model, superb results....

7 hours ago, bbowser said:

Very well done!  Excellent photos too.

6 hours ago, Foxer said:

A beautiful job on one of my favorite cars!

6 hours ago, afx said:

Turned our great Jason - very nice work.

2 hours ago, Hi-Po said:

Simply beautiful!  Nice job on the build.

Thank You all

7 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

Nicely done build of the D-Type Jaguar Jason, and also overcoming the fear of resin kits is something I have faced myself, with positive results. I particularly noticed your textured tarmac for the diorama base of the pit area. How did you do that, or is it in your WIP link? My diorama tarmac is just grey paint on plywood, so I need to come up with something like your excellent diorama base.

David

Thank you David! I messed up the hood and right body fit but much knowleged gained about working with resin for sure. 

This is what I used to make the asphalt and mud/dirt base. It’s a paste-like consistency and works perfectly! I gorilla-glued a couple of thin cork sheets together and cut them to fit inside a cheap wood photo frame I found at the stationary store. Simple masking and flat white spray job for the parking? lines. Maybe I’ll go back and add some more detail like water run marks and dust/dirt but need to do some more Youtube research before that :). Also some tried to simulate cracks in the asphalt by ripping the top sheet of cork a bit.  

byjCb3m.jpgLvMzOD3.jpg