Model Cars Magazine Forum

57 T-Bird "BattleBird" "update 12-25-injectors"

Ralph Henderson

I haven't been around for a while.  I've been lurking off and on, but haven't been building much.  Recently I got the bug, and decided to attack a project I've been thinking about since I saw the Hot Rod article back in the early 90's.  So I figured I'd show what I've done, and hopefully, where I'm going

2v2J5knCGxfJqP.jpg

2v2J5kngqxfJqP.jpg

First thing that has to go, is the AMT 57 Grille/Bumper Assembly.  That looks an awful lot like the grille in the AMT 56, so.

I took a pretty clean 1st issue 57 and started sanding and grinding and filling until I came up with this.

2v2J5knWFxfJqP.jpg

2v2J5kn7CxfJqP.jpg

2v2J5knRLxfJqP.jpg

I cut the sheet metal out of the engine compartment, and started work on the frame from the 56.  As others have mentioned, the AMT 56 seems to sit high on the frame, a little too much frame shows beneath the rocker panels. the next few photos show how much I had to shorten the underhood and interior sheetmetal to get the frame tucked up inside the body like I think it should be.

2v2J5kqEgxfJqP.jpg

I also opened up the area behind the fenderwells for the outside the frame header routing.

2v2J5knmhxfJqP.jpg

2v2J5knkGxfJqP.jpg

I also moved the front perches for the rear springs from the interior plate to the frame to make it easier to buildup the frame as an assembly

2v2J5kninxfJqP.jpg

2v2J5knDqxfJqP.jpg

A little preview of the rear rolling stock, those neat old AMT slot car tires-Firestone "Gum-Dipped" 9.00-9.50-15's

2v2J5knSLxfJqP.jpg

More soon...Comments and suggestions welcome!

Edited by Ralph Henderson
left out text.

Thanks for all the kind words.  I have to say, it can get a little intimidating for a mere mortal as myself to post his work among all the stellar builds on this and other forums.  But we all learn from each other, right??  I know I've learned a lot here.  And it's given me the confidence to try new things. Thanks again.

thought I'd show a couple more pics showing a bit better detail on what had to be done to get the 56 grille to fit in the 57.  From the underside looking forward you can see where I lengthened the corners, (about 3/16") to match the height of the grille:

2v2J5mY78xfJqP.jpg

next you can see how plastic much was removed to re-shape the nose.  so far no filler, just liquid cement and styrene stock.

2v2J5mYk2xfJqP.jpg

the next shot showa what happens when you try to remove the bumperettes from the 57 grille assy

2v2J5mYB3xfJqP.jpg

Other nice thing about the 56 grille, is it actually has a lip that surrounds the recess in the sheet metal.  Fits and looks a lot better.  another shot to show the new bedding.  Still a little filling to do, and I have to figure out the little spoilers on the ends under the headlights,  but it's coming along.

2v2J5mYYjxfJqP.jpgsoon some shots of the engine mods, and suspension stuff.. found some springs to replace the block of plastic in the front end, and raised the spindle to lower the front end.  plus a shot of the hilborn injection I'm trying to replicate..

2v2J5FTn5xfJqP.jpg

2v2J5FTqNxfJqP.jpg

2v2J5hA93xfJqP.jpg

2v2J5hAYrxfJqP.jpg

Glad you're pushing yourself.  For years I was intimidated at the thought of scratch building and/or major modifications.  One day I decided I had really nothing to fear and jumped in.  Really increased my enjoyment of the hobby.

If I can ask what is your plan for the unique Hilborn injection?  Are you scratch building it?  

Edited by afx

at this point, scratching it.  here's a couple pics of 'rough draft'.  using 3/32" aluminum for the stacks.  it looks better with the stacks on.  I have a couple other thoughts too, and any suggestions welcome.. and I may use the engine out of the new Revell 57 Ford.  On this I grafted the bell housing and trans from the old tool revell parts pack 427.

2v2J5dzaNxfJqP.jpg

2v2J5dzEyxfJqP.jpg

Nice project and good start. The mods are looking really well thought out. Welcome to the world of scratch building, best of luck with the fuel injection unit. 

Edit: So far so good on the fi unit. Ya go that posted up while I was typing. 

Edited by Rider

On 9/8/2018 at 1:35 AM, Ralph Henderson said:

I haven't been around for a while.  I've been lurking off and on, but haven't been building much.  Recently I got the bug, and decided to attack a project I've been thinking about since I saw the Hot Rod article back in the early 90's.  So I figured I'd show what I've done, and hopefully, where I'm going

2v2J5knCGxfJqP.jpg

2v2J5kngqxfJqP.jpg

First thing that has to go, is the AMT 57 Grille/Bumper Assembly.  That looks an awful lot like the grille in the AMT 56, so.

I took a pretty clean 1st issue 57 and started sanding and grinding and filling until I came up with this.

2v2J5knWFxfJqP.jpg

2v2J5kn7CxfJqP.jpg

2v2J5knRLxfJqP.jpg

I cut the sheet metal out of the engine compartment, and started work on the frame from the 56.  As others have mentioned, the AMT 56 seems to sit high on the frame, a little too much frame shows beneath the rocker panels. the next few photos show how much I had to shorten the underhood and interior sheetmetal to get the frame tucked up inside the body like I think it should be.

2v2J5kqEgxfJqP.jpg

I also opened up the area behind the fenderwells for the outside the frame header routing.

2v2J5knmhxfJqP.jpg

2v2J5knkGxfJqP.jpg

I also moved the front perches for the rear springs from the interior plate to the frame to make it easier to buildup the frame as an assembly

2v2J5kninxfJqP.jpg

2v2J5knDqxfJqP.jpg

A little preview of the rear rolling stock, those neat old AMT slot car tires-Firestone "Gum-Dipped" 9.00-9.50-15's

2v2J5knSLxfJqP.jpg

More soon...Comments and suggestions welcome!

(Anybody have an extra flat 57 hood??)....

I may have one. Where are you located?

So, when I started this thing, I told my self I wasn't gonna go nuts with minute details, I was just gonna build a model. well I'm still tryin to hold true to that, but if you're doing a "replica" you need to at least catch some high points. The pictures of the car from back in the 50's shows the doors were completely gutted, to the point of having semi jagged edges in the sheet metal. I tried to do that, but decided to go with just a door with the upholstery removed. Most of the interior details will be covered by the tonneau cover, so I'm not REAL concerned with the minutia, but I thought I'd try something new. (at least new to me)
A couple shots of where I'm at on the interior.. not much is glued together yet, so there is still some gaps and such that will get filled..

2v2Jruj1FxfJqP.jpg

2v2JrujKqxfJqP.jpg

• 1 month later...

So, I build pretty slowly.  I seem to be more interested in "little Victories", than the sum of the parts.
The real car had a quick-change and dual shocks.  The amt kit didn't come with spring plates or rear shocks, so I checked the Fireball Roberts 57 Ford to see how they did it.  Come to find out there is an extra set of dual shocks and the corresponding spring plates in the kit.  I picked up a nice q-c and grafted it in the rear axle, and added a cross member and voila! dual rear shocks and a quick change!  I added the necassary drive shaft hoop..
2v2Jzs52FxfJqP.jpg

2v2Jzs53dxfJqP.jpg

I then decided to come up with a bit better way to mount the engine.  A little bit of evergreen, and some more eyeball engineering came up with this;
2v2Jzs5U5xfJqP.jpg

2v2Jzs59NxfJqP.jpg
Now I can get onto the headers and finishing up the interior...
Thanks for looking!

Solid design and fabrication work Ralph. I've learned to enjoy the steps along the way to creating a worthwhile project rather than rush through to it's conclusion. Like you said "little victories".

Edited by afx

• 1 month later...

Hi folks, been trying for a few days to add an update.  see if this works.  so far, so good.

something that always bugged me about Y-Blocks in scale was the distributor. 

They are mounted at a 45 degree angle at the back of the block, not a 90.  so I did a little scratchin' and came up with this.  then added the oil pump and pickup tube

2v2E9f5oGxfJqP.jpg

2v2E9fyzWxfJqP.jpg

More soon, Thanks for looking!

Edited by Ralph Henderson

Now on to the headers.  The headers on the real car are 4-2 type, then out to two pipes exiting in front of each rear wheel well. I took a couple sets of AMT 32 headers, a little slicin' and dicin' and came up with this. still have to section a bit out of the pipes to get 'em a bit closer to the frame, but I think I'm on my way.

2v2E9f52nxfJqP.jpg

2v2E9fyMgxfJqP.jpg

2v2E9f5UhxfJqP.jpg

2v2E9f5vVxfJqP.jpg

2v2E9fy5SxfJqP.jpg

again, Thanks for looking!

since I cut down the underhood sheet metal, the radiator had to be move a bit. when it's sitting in the car, it leans at the top slightly to the front, since the motor is set back about 4 inches, they use an electric fan, so a bit more scratchin' and fiddlin'.  needs some cleanup and paint.  now on to the injectors..

2v2E9fyjCxfJqP.jpg

2v2E9fy8LxfJqP.jpg

Thanks for checkin' in!