Model Cars Magazine Forum

57 T-Bird "BattleBird" "update 12-25-injectors"

Ralph Henderson

19 hours ago, Ralph Henderson said:

since I cut down the underhood sheet metal, the radiator had to be move a bit. when it's sitting in the car, it leans at the top slightly to the front, since the motor is set back about 4 inches, they use an electric fan, so a bit more scratchin' and fiddlin'.  needs some cleanup and paint.  now on to the injectors..

2v2E9fyjCxfJqP.jpg

2v2E9fy8LxfJqP.jpg

Thanks for checkin' in!

You're nailing it Ralph! Love the headers.

7 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I'm assuming this is a 1/24 scale kit, no idea of manufacturer.  I built this 1/16 AMT for a friend in the car club, who owned one, took some work to make it look right.

Very cool project, look forward to seeing it completed!

IMG_5691.JPG

Kurt, the one I'm building is the 1/25 AMT 57 with the AMT 56 grille bedded in.  The 1/16 you did looks great.  Nice build of a tough kit!

Edited by Ralph Henderson

• 4 weeks later...

so, a little update on the injectors.  I think the engine is as done as it's going to be.  I think it gets the point across, even though it ain't perfect.

a little paint touch-up, flare the injectors a bit and finish out the headers, and on to the rest of the bodywork.

2v2EHGqiFxfJqP.jpg

2v2EHGq4yxfJqP.jpg

thanks for tagging along, and Happy Holidays!!

22 hours ago, Ralph Henderson said:

so, a little update on the injectors.  I think the engine is as done as it's going to be.  I think it gets the point across, even though it ain't perfect.

a little paint touch-up, flare the injectors a bit and finish out the headers, and on to the rest of the bodywork.

2v2EHGqiFxfJqP.jpg

2v2EHGq4yxfJqP.jpg

thanks for tagging along, and Happy Holidays!!

Looking good, Ralph! First time I think I've ever seen properly configured Y block fuel injectors. The headers are way cool too.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/26/2018 at 10:44 PM, Ralph Henderson said:

be cool if someone would tool em up for 3d printing. 

You may have missed it over on TRaK, but Chris Drysdale has come up with a set in his Shapeways store, Maple Leaf Modelworks. He pulled them offline because he wanted to refine them a little bit after receiving his first samples, but plans on putting them back up soon. I can't wait because this setup is so cool. Your scratchbuilt version came out great

9 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

You may have missed it over on TRaK, but Chris Drysdale has come up with a set in his Shapeways store, Maple Leaf Modelworks. He pulled them offline because he wanted to refine them a little bit after receiving his first samples, but plans on putting them back up soon. I can't wait because this setup is so cool. Your scratchbuilt version came out great

I found the post on Trak.  very interesting...

• 1 year later...

I know it's been awhile since I posted.  Had some family medical issues, but I have always had a couple parts on my desk being worked onspacer.png

1st being the tonneau cover and headrest/fairing

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

I still have to get the windscreen angle correct, and work a bit more on the fairing. and I did come up with some decals.  seems as though Mini Exotics made a trans kit some time back.  I was lucky enough to get a copy of the decal sheet... see if I can turn it into real decals...

spacer.png

Thanks for looking!

I have really enjoyed watching your progress so far Ralph, especially your fabrication skills.  That injected Y block really ticks all the boxes.

Was there a similarly styled black one as well? The little voices in my head are saying Doane Spencer of chopped 3W fame but I could be mistaken.

Cheers

Alan

10 hours ago, alan barton said:

I have really enjoyed watching your progress so far Ralph, especially your fabrication skills.  That injected Y block really ticks all the boxes.

Was there a similarly styled black one as well? The little voices in my head are saying Doane Spencer of chopped 3W fame but I could be mistaken.

Cheers

Alan

Doane built a couple 56's. One in the 50's, and one in the 80's I believe with later running gear for a friend.

Plus Ford built some black 56's; https://www.quartoknows.com/blog/quartodrives/ford-total-performance-the-start-of-something-big

would've been more, except the manufacturers got out of direct involvement with motorsports in 1957

(Edit: Spencer's original T-Brd was a 55, according to Hemmings.

63f89035a50537febff94a778de96684.jpg

Ford-Total-Performance-2.jpg

Ran across this T-Bird in a book by Kirk F. White. It's online, and I'd recommend it. It's "Don't Wash Mine". It's full of great stories. This is White's Doane Spencer T-Bird. It was very fast and I like the style of it. It's a street car, but very much like the Battlebirds. My wife wants a 55-57 T-Bird and if I get a chance, I'd like to do a little hot rodding on it. I just think this is cool as hell.

Perry

Spencer T-Bird.jpg

Spencer T-Bird engine.jpg

Spencer T-Bird 2.jpg

Spencer T-Bird interior.jpg