Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:18 ERTL-based '72 Formula 455 HO Firebird

swede70

Greetings,

Not exactly a speedy project arriving at any swift end, this would be a long-nursed 1:18 diecast project based upon the old ERTL American Muscle '70 Firebird Trans Am tool.  In sum, all the Trans Am-specific aero aides have been either cut or filed off in a manner that renders their presence invisible.  Engine is a GMP '72 GTO 455 HO less transmission which unscrews and falls away and off - a good thing this.  The Formula-specific hood scoops were scratch built by me some time ago, while at nearly the same time I tried to create a full hood mold that included an attempt to plug the void otherwise occupied by the reverse-opening shaker.   The hood scoop molds survive, whilst the full hood mold perished after three pulls - sigh.  Note the fetching character line plus matching contour I worked so hard for across the territory the shaker would otherwise identify as home...

The model is awaits my sourcing a '72 ERTL Trans Am (a few releases were done complete with mildly revised grille work as well as interior differences) to carry it to completion, while small other details still stand to be altered.  The grille surrounds are '73 ERTL Trans Am issue - these being a bit thinner, whereas under hood some assemblies have been sourced from the otherwise good '72 Welly Trans Am including the fan shroud and A/C installation.  The exterior door latches are '72 Welly Trans Am items (holes for locating the so-so standard ERTL fare had to be plugged just behind), while I've temporarily plugged the clunky rectangular exterior side mirror mounts in anticipation of fashioning ovalized mounts leading to the otherwise honestly rendered ERTL racing mirrors.  And yes - the engine turned instrument panel detail will soon give way to a faux wood sheen.  Thanks for examining this post...

5b94047a46ef3_FirebirdFormulahoodprojecttwentyone001.JPG.72fc2e0334eeef0244fa33ceaf34b367.JPG5b94047f3c161_FirebirdFormulahoodprojecttwentyone002.JPG.9ad5b0684474c584cca0ce6c25628b32.JPG5b940484b9625_FirebirdFormulahoodprojecttwentyone003.JPG.57ad2919f199ab7cb2cc4dbb36b17a82.JPG5b94048f86718_FirebirdFormulahoodprojecttwentyone004.JPG.040da272dafd851475f61069d69772ec.JPG5b94049878145_FirebirdFormulahoodprojecttwentyone005.JPG.6ffa393b581ae4cbb668282ae2e8bf10.JPG5b9404a47dddb_FirebirdFormulahoodprojecttwentyone007.JPG.0e9ecd836cb3793844829c98cc0c8b8b.JPG5b9404aeb973c_FirebirdFormulahoodprojecttwentyone008.JPG.43fb41992b01c5f40c1ebcb5af7083d5.JPG

Edited by swede70
...the usual, necessary editing for form.

9 hours ago, swede70 said:

Greetings,

Not exactly a speedy project arriving at any swift end, this would be a long-nursed 1:18 diecast project based upon the old ERTL American Muscle '70 Firebird Trans Am tool.  In sum, all the Trans Am-specific aero aides have been either cut or filed off in a manner that renders their presence invisible.  Engine is a GMP '72 GTO 455 HO less transmission which unscrews and falls away and off - a good thing this.  The Formula-specific hood scoops were scratch built by me some time ago, while at nearly the same time I tried to create a full hood mold that included an attempt to plug the void otherwise occupied by the reverse-opening shaker.   The hood scoop molds survive, whilst the full hood mold perished after three pulls - sigh.  Note the fetching character line plus matching contour I worked so hard for across the territory the shaker would otherwise identify as home...

The model is awaits my sourcing a '72 ERTL Trans Am (a few releases were done complete with mildly revised grille work as well as interior differences) to carry it to completion, while small other details still stand to be altered.  The grille surrounds are '73 ERTL Trans Am issue - these being a bit thinner, whereas under hood some assemblies have been sourced from the otherwise good '72 Welly Trans Am including the fan shroud and A/C installation.  The exterior door latches are '72 Welly Trans Am items (holes for locating the so-so standard ERTL fare had to be plugged just behind), while I've temporarily plugged the clunky rectangular exterior side mirror mounts in anticipation of fashioning ovalized mounts leading to the otherwise honestly rendered ERTL racing mirrors.  And yes - the engine turned instrument panel detail will soon give way to a faux wood sheen.  Thanks for examining this post...

The '72 Welly Trans Am is a great source for '73 because that's what it is. I just detailed a 1/24 version and they scaled down their 1/18 diecast to create it. Unfortunately the under hood is correct for a '73 not for a '72. The '72 did not have radiator support to fender braces and the radiator did not have an expansion tank next to the filler neck. Air cleaner on the 73 has only one snorkel on the driver's side with a cold air duct from the fender. A '72 has two and no cold air ducts. The diecast both used finned valve covers. Not the correct smooth steel valve covers.

Edited by THarrison351

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/24/2018 at 6:49 PM, NYLIBUD said:

My favorite Pontiac hood scoops.I like it even better that the shaker hoods.  

Same here... Nice work on the Bird too.   Me..Ill be happy when I can make a replica of my old 75 TA I once owned in 1/25th  to 1/8th scale plastic.  Mine had the functional shaker scoop....30 over 400ci  Pontiac with ram air heads and exhaust manifolds...472 lift x 512 duration cam...373 posi..and a beefed up  TH 350 trans.   Liked to have killed me to have to sell her after my accident.

Edited by disabled modeler