Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Beaumont front bumper/grille

Update. The kits are almost ready, and will include the correct dash as a nice last-minute bonus.

IMG_1161.thumb.jpg.a745f623abc96f73ae2400c55cf5b8fe.jpg

So what's the holdup?

The tale of the taillights:

As it turns out, casting in clear red is tricky. Very tricky. Below is yesterday's frustration, in order.

IMG_1163.thumb.jpg.7b13ae94973dc3562239c09e7d425f63.jpg

All are in Smooth-On 325 clear:

#1 is the first attempt using the Smooth-On color tint red, came out in hideous pink. Not good.

#2 is the second attempt, I substituted House of Kolor apple red Kandy Intensifier for the previous tint, and they came out absolutely perfect.

Thinking that I had figured it all out, I did the same thing for attempt #3, which inexplicably came out in a lovely shade of strawberry taffy. 

Attempt #4 was the same procedure, but with degassing the two part resin in the vacuum chamber first... resulting in more taffy.

#5 is the if-all-else-fails default, just casting in clear, which is more reliable, and the builder can paint the lenses in Tamiya clear red or equivalent, which may actually be a more realistic look, although I do like the look of the single successful set.

The most annoying thing here is not knowing why one set came out perfect, followed by two that didn't. Better luck next week?

6 hours ago, Maindrian Pace said:

Thinking that I had figured it all out, I did the same thing for attempt #3, which inexplicably came out in a lovely shade of strawberry taffy. 

I just about fell off the couch laughing when I read this. My wife thinks I'm nuts and is giving me the SSSSSHHHH the baby is sleeping glare. Funniest one that I have read in quite a while.

The conversion kit is looking great. Looking forward to when we can order some. Any idea of a price point yet?

Per board rules, we can't mention price here, and it's not really been determined yet. When I get the red stuff figured out, I'll update the thread and let everyone know that it's available.

Harold Oswald got the first prototype kit and had his SD 396 convertible ready for last night's club meeting. He said that this build is a 13 day wonder that he did while entertaining out of state company and attending the Goodguys show. I'm all out of excuses for not building now...

The front bumper is done in Alclad, he used the front and rear seats from the GTO for the correct upholstery pattern, the hub caps are Missing Link, and the MCG photoetch set includes all of the Beaumont emblems including the front and rear scripts, the four side fender emblems, the dash emblem that fits the GTO dash perfectly, and even the rear strip trim pieces below the trunk lid. He got the kit before I made any clear taillights, so these lenses are tan opaque resin; bare metal foiled, and painted with Tamiya clear red. They looked very good.

Off to the Resin Ranch today to take on the Battle of the Taillights, part 2.

fullsizeoutput_b27.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b26.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b25.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b23.jpeg

11 hours ago, Randall said:

Nice looking build.  Was that BMF used around the windshield? 

Yes, BMF on the windshield frame.

8 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Looks good but the GTO seats is not correct for a Beaumont. They used the Chevelle seat upholstery. 

Just wanted to point that out .

I hope the console is correct, because he used that too.

Today was an instant replay of last Sunday. One clear red set, (actually 1/2 set because one lens had a bubble in it) followed by a fail pink set. I then tried a clear set, only to have the clear come out in opaque white - never seen that before. So the resin is probably bad, have to find another product that works better. Unless y'all don't mind opaque taillights, I got a bunch of those. I'll get this figured out eventually.