Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Beaumont front bumper/grille

I've been slowly re-working the MCG resin part to get it more accurate. The grille openings were too small and the outer ends were completely wrong. This is what you'd call a "long term project", last time I worked on it was about 5 years ago. LOL

IMG 1467

IMG 1468

I did the tail lights years ago.

122 2219

122 2226

Looks like your going to cast it as all one piece?

Anyway, good luck with it. Seeing another one being built may motovate me to finish up the one I've been working on. [my second one]

Years ago, I started making this grille. I'd always liked the Canadian versions of US cars with their often wild looking details, and the plan here was to build a Beaumont and bask in contest table glory; because who else would have thought of doing that? Well, when I was about half way through the grille, MCG announced their resin Beaumont conversion, complete with photoetch scripts, which took the wind out of that sail. So I put it away, and never thought about it again until I ran across it a few weeks ago. By then, MCG no longer offered their resin version, and the one that I'd seen looked pretty far off anyway - like someone stuck some GTO grilles in there and called it good, so I figured that now would be a good time to finish it.

2 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Looks like your going to cast it as all one piece?

It's two pieces, the grille and the header panel. Cut the stock header out and replace it with the modified panel.

IMG_0856.thumb.jpg.e170cb789c76510a93ce34de648bb79b.jpg

2 hours ago, Toner283 said:

Definitely interested. Will this be a nose and taillights to fit the AMT body or is this going to be a complete Beaumont body? Hopefully a nose piece and tail lights so that I can do a hardtop and convertible.

I'd like to do the taillights, but I need further input on that. I can do the lenses, but that would require the builder to do cutting, filling, and bodywork to the 1/4 extensions on the kit body. Now most of us here can do that, but not everyone, so not sure how to go about that. I like Steve's idea of a whole new 1/4 extension, that may be a possibility. Doing the whole body is not really an option, we would do a hardtop, then people would want the convertible, and it would of course be a lot more expensive than just the conversion - so I'm going to concentrate on the grille and later on, the taillights.

I got the front parts clayed up for the mold, and started filling in the 1/4s to start on the taillights.

IMG_0859.thumb.jpg.969cd24f040b663049a35b4e1dd040b3.jpg

IMG_0865.thumb.jpg.6c3c894e6e7cbd4b4f32b9ffc9353439.jpg

20 hours ago, Superbird McMonte said:

Very nice work! I look forward to seeing it done. Sounds like you will be selling this as a trans-kit?

Yes, it will be offered by Greg Wann, the Master Caster. The front parts will be available first, the taillights and 1/4 extensions later.

16 hours ago, Sport Suburban said:

The green Beaumont is a 68 but the resin front bumper is a 69. I know the dashes are GTO but did the 69 get the same 69 GTO dash or the 68 GTO version.

What Mike is referring to is that the Monogram '68 GTO is just the '69 kit with a '68 front and back bumper. All the rest is directly from the '69 kit, including the whole interior.

The Beaumonts did indeed have the Pontiac dash from whichever year they were.  

On 9/12/2018 at 12:47 PM, Maindrian Pace said:

Mike,

That would be great. If anyone has one and is willing to send it to us, we will cast it and return the original to the owner.

I have an original '68 annual. I could lend the dash from. Maybe for a couple copies of it?

Also, would it be of any help if I sent along a couple sets of my tail lights and 1/4 panel extensions? 

133 3378

Steve,

Yes, those taillights and 1/4 extensions look very nice, and would speed things up a good bit. Thanks for the offer, I'm interested. As for the '68 GTO dash, I think that would work well for a '68 Beaumont conversion, let's hold off on that until the new '68 Chevelle kit is released and see how well it fits that kit. Do you happen to have a MPC '69 GTO dash?

7 minutes ago, Maindrian Pace said:

Steve,

Yes, those taillights and 1/4 extensions look very nice, and would speed things up a good bit. Thanks for the offer, I'm interested. As for the '68 GTO dash, I think that would work well for a '68 Beaumont conversion, let's hold off on that until the new '68 Chevelle kit is released and see how well it fits that kit. Do you happen to have a MPC '69 GTO dash?

I don't have an MPC '69 dash but the Monogram one is actually a hair smaller anyway. Fits right in. If you're gonna offer it in a conversion kit you might think about including the door arm rests from the Monogram kit too. They add a lot to the door panel.

115 1545

PM me with your info Mike and I'll get those out to you.

BTW, have you noticed that you can easily modify my '69 tail lights to '68 by eliminating a couple bits of trim and painting the middle strip body color? ;)

Edited by Can-Con

These parts look great. I was looking at the Model Car Garage website thinking I'd go ahead and order the Chevelle/Beaumont photo etch set so I'd have it when I get these resin parts to make the Beaumont but I have a hard time justifying $22.00 for only the "Beaumont" script for the grille. That appears to be the only part that one would need out of that set. The individual letters for the back panel aren't in there so it's just that script you'd use. Can't see it......