Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kenworth conventional experts

Looked at an older Kenworth brochure ( printed 7-70 )  and noticed the long hood version. It is different, straight cut down compared to  newer hoods with the cut out air intake tube. Is it simply called a long hood  for that year or is it a different model number. Anyone ever try to build this type of hood?

IMG_5663.JPG

If you look closely on the pictures you see that the hood itself is the same length on both trucks, the cowl is extended on the blue truck and the back edge of the hood is straight.
But Kenworth had two lengths for the early W900's.
Short Hood         63 inch 1967-82
Extended Hood  74 inch 1970-82
So before 1970-ish they extended the cowl and the hoods were the same, after that they extended the hood and kept the standard cowl.

Jim B said "I don't believe that it had a different model number like the W900L of today.  This is similar to the W900/T900 the Revell of Germany makes; just a different year"

The Revell Germany Kenworth Conventionals are W900 but it was done up and supposed to be an Australian truck once and they called them T900 as the Australian Kenworth Conventionals are T not W.
But the Revell kit is not right for an Australian truck as the Australian Kenworth factory have their own series of trucks wich are different from the US trucks.

Edited by Force

1 hour ago, Force said:

If you look closely on the pictures you see that the hood itself is the same length on both trucks, the cowl is extended on the blue truck and the back edge of the hood is straight.
But Kenworth had two lengths for the early W900's.
Short Hood         63 inch 1967-82
Extended Hood  74 inch 1970-82
So before 1970-ish they extended the cowl and the hoods were the same, after that they extended the hood and kept the standard cowl.

Jim B said "I don't believe that it had a different model number like the W900L of today.  This is similar to the W900/T900 the Revell of Germany makes; just a different year"

The Revell Germany Kenworth Conventionals are W900 but it was done up and supposed to be an Australian truck once and they called them T900 as the Australian Kenworth Conventionals are T not W.
But the Revell kit is not right for an Australian truck as the Australian Kenworth factory have their own series of trucks wich are different from the US trucks.

Would it be possible to extend the cab and rework the hood for that year model?

The long hood W900 began production in the 1970 manufacturing year , in prior years, If you ordered the higher horse large engines predominantly 12v71 Detroit or the 1693 Cat diesels,  to accommodate these larger engine and cooling packages Kenworth came up with a simple cowl extension , the hood was the same length but without the cutouts for the air cleaner piping. Then in 1970 at some point the long hood ( as found in the Revell/Monogram) kits was put into production and the cowl extension was done away with! The model designation was always W9.. with the last numbers indicating suspension, eg W923 (AMT current reissue).

On 9/14/2018 at 6:38 AM, mailman said:

if brian builds one it'll most likely be the most detailed and accurate ever built , how about a nice single axle big stick companion to the dodge.....

Thanks for the kind words Chris, but if if you saw the way I shake most days, you say that I needed a new hobby. :D I haven't considered a single axle big stick, but that does sound pretty cool.

1 hour ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Thanks for the kind words Chris, but if if you saw the way I shake most days, you say that I needed a new hobby. :D I haven't considered a single axle big stick, but that does sound pretty cool.

Less coffee? :D How are you riding out Hurricane Florence?

With the extended cowl panel you would definitely see the the widenose hood , the purpose of the extended cowl was to accommodate the larger higher horse engine which would require a larger radiator. With the short hood you could still see a narrow nose although by the early 70’s they were slowly phased out. I haven’t been able to figure out when the narrow nose was dropped as of yet.

Every extended cowl KW I have ever seen had the wide nose. As mentioned above, the extended cowl was used for high horsepower engines that were always paired with a wide radiator. I believe the narrow nose was available as an option up until 1982, but they are pretty rare much beyond the mid-70's.

On 9/19/2018 at 1:41 PM, PettyKW43 said:

With the extended cowl panel you would definitely see the the widenose hood , the purpose of the extended cowl was to accommodate the larger higher horse engine which would require a larger radiator. With the short hood you could still see a narrow nose although by the early 70’s they were slowly phased out. I haven’t been able to figure out when the narrow nose was dropped as of yet.

just to add a little something,you could of had a narrow nose extended cowl also

On 9/19/2018 at 3:10 PM, KJ790 said:

Every extended cowl KW I have ever seen had the wide nose. As mentioned above, the extended cowl was used for high horsepower engines that were always paired with a wide radiator. I believe the narrow nose was available as an option up until 1982, but they are pretty rare much beyond the mid-70's.

wasnt there a medium grill size also?

On 9/9/2018 at 3:28 PM, PettyKW43 said:

The long hood W900 began production in the 1970 manufacturing year , in prior years, If you ordered the higher horse large engines predominantly 12v71 Detroit or the 1693 Cat diesels,  to accommodate these larger engine and cooling packages Kenworth came up with a simple cowl extension , the hood was the same length but without the cutouts for the air cleaner piping. Then in 1970 at some point the long hood ( as found in the Revell/Monogram) kits was put into production and the cowl extension was done away with! The model designation was always W9.. with the last numbers indicating suspension, eg W923 (AMT current reissue).

You are the correct one sir. Also note on the blue extended cowl the old KW 4 bag air ride.

As a side note Kenworth was still using the one piece sleeper box doors as opposed to a separate storage compartment door and also the back panel of the box was a ribbon shape much like the Mercury box! The change to the two piece door and flat rear box panel started somewhere in late 70 to sometime in 71.