Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hasegawa BMW 318i Touring Car Longhurst B&H version

I bought this kit from ebay a while ago, it's original decals are included, but they are crackled. the kit came with a set of B*H decals for the Longhurst version, and a resin piece for the rear spoiler

I've already got the paints from zero, I'm going for Camel Yellow & Zero Gloss white, i'll do the body first!

20180909_184711.jpg

20180909_184727.jpg

20180909_184754.jpg

• 4 months later...

And this is the rear half of the prop shaft (hate it when they split them!) the diff & half shafts.

It is AB'ed Alclad Steel for the control arms or what ever they are, and AB'ed Diff with Tamiya titanium, AB'ed Black X1 for the prop-shaft & hand painted Tamiya "Rubber" colour for the gaiters.

Having fun on this one!

So far.

20190116_175951.jpg

The Chassis is coming along. It's been primed with Zero grey & then several light coats of Zero Glass While.

Then a mixture of AB'ed & Hand Painted colours for the details.

I'm guessing those black things are petrol tanks.

The grey was not re-primed with white primer, so the white did not come out so bright.

I was going to cut-out the tunnel & use the underside of the interior tub - in order to not have to mask & paint the propshaft. But... thought it too much effort.

These cars are all about the interior!

I also wanted to add carbon fibre to the rear of the seat, so used masking tape and penciled in the shape - my first time making my own!

20190117_214127.jpg

20190119_120754.jpg

Good to see another Aussie race car being built and you are doing a great job so far, but you need to know that the car didn't run the aero kit or wheels that is in the picture of the restored car. The kits own wheels and aero kit are as the car ran in '94. The wing and the front airdam on the restored car are from 1995 but the B+H car didn't run in the '95 Supertouring season. I hope it's not too late. 

By the way this car is one of the two that were involved in the infamous crash and subsequent clash between the two drivers that has made many a sports highlights clip show. Skip to 0:45

I am going to have Longhurst's B+H E30 M3 in progress soon to sit with the Sierra he drove in 1988 that I finished last year and as I am also considering this car too I will be keeping a keen eye on this thread. Also, who makes those decals?

Cheers

ShawnS

1 hour ago, ShawnS said:

Good to see another Aussie race car being built and you are doing a great job so far, but you need to know that the car didn't run the aero kit or wheels that is in the picture of the restored car. The kits own wheels and aero kit are as the car ran in '94. The wing and the front airdam on the restored car are from 1995 but the B+H car didn't run in the '95 Supertouring season. I hope it's not too late. 

By the way this car is one of the two that were involved in the infamous crash and subsequent clash between the two drivers that has made many a sports highlights clip show. Skip to 0:45

I am going to have Longhurst's B+H E30 M3 in progress soon to sit with the Sierra he drove in 1988 that I finished last year and as I am also considering this car too I will be keeping a keen eye on this thread. Also, who makes those decals?

Cheers

ShawnS

Oops. Well, I didn't do my research very well.

I might be able to save some of the front bumper, but the light housings have been filled!

It won't be an accurate Aussie racer...

Great video, and that's why we love touring cars!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, it doesn't look like much, but this is several hours work!

The kit came with a resin cast of the rear spoiler, but one of the brackets was misformed, the other wasn't very robust, and in the wrong place. also, the edges had cast voids, so I've out out some styrene and glued in place, needs to be filled & sanded smooth, and i've scratch-built some brackets, they are way too thick for the scale, but I can't make anything smaller, and i want it to actually hold the wing!

I've decided not to re-add the front grille of the car, it's going to match the re-build of the car as per photos I have rather than the Longhust version as raced.

20190223_175949.jpg

20190223_174113.jpg

20190223_174118.jpg

On 2/5/2019 at 7:30 PM, FabbricaP said:

Lookin great so far. That livery looks awesome, always liked the Benson & Hedges Jordan F-1 liveries. This kit is really fun to build! Stance comes out perfect w/o any modification, perfect camber angle

On 2/6/2019 at 2:56 AM, Ich_Will said:

Looks great. I love this vintage of BMW. I’ll be following along on this one. 

Thanks Jason & William! I'm going to try to complete the Interior within the next 2 weeks!