Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1968 Chevelle

Exotics_Builder

On 9/11/2018 at 2:37 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Perfect!

I know that the annual is nearly non-existent, but I can't help wondering how it will affect the value of them. <_<

Steve

IMO, going to depend A LOT on just how nice this kit is in person.

Take the revell 1970 Cuda kit as an example.

IMO its done nothing to the value of the original MPC kit. ,,,built or unbuilt.

My gut tells me this will be no different

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Well, sticking with Revell for a minute, their recent history has shown that when they develop a new tool, there is usually another variant planned from the beginning-- '69 Novas, '50 Olds, '72 Cutlass, '83 Olds Cutlass, '90 Mustang LX The Kit Which Shall Not Be Named, etc. --- so I wouldn't have expected them to do a one-eighty and only release a '68 this time around. Factor in a '69 was specifically mentioned without any prompting, and while everything is speculation until it appears to our eyes, I feel rather confident a '69 variant is forthcoming...and I have zero interest in any '68-'69 Chevy A-bodies. 

Well Casey, as I said, I hope you're right.

But then again, I think that there were probably a lot of expectations of variations surrounding the release of the Revell '57 Ford Del Rio wagon.

Yeah, I know, the sedan came first, but there were a lot of people wondering when the Ranchero would follow.

No sign of anything like that.

And don't take this wrong, but I really don't consider something like a couple of added custom parts like in the '50 Olds kits much of a variation.

Even the '69 Nova variants were not much of a stretch from one and other.

Steve

2 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

IMO, going to depend A LOT on just how nice this kit is in person.

Take the revell 1970 Cuda kit as an example.

IMO its done nothing to the value of the original MPC kit. ,,,built or unbuilt.

My gut tells me this will be no different

I have to agree Bill.

There is still, to this day, no substitute for something like the Johan 1969-'70 Roadrunner/GTX kits.

Regardless, I welcome the '68 Chevelle with open arms and I have no doubt that I will buy one and inevitably be satisfied with it.

But we will have to wait and see what the rivet counters think. :P

Steve

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Yeah, I know, the sedan came first, but there were a lot of people wondering when the Ranchero would follow.

Steve

Well now that you have a company in control that effectively doesn't need to make the same sort of profit to make a profit - once they make back that $100k investment in Revell USA it's all gravy (beyond operation costs of running the kits and printing boxes, instructions and decals) - perhaps those "hidden" variations of existing tools will be pushed out faster.

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

But then again, I think that there were probably a lot of expectations of variations surrounding the release of the Revell '57 Ford Del Rio wagon.

Let's hope that there is something in the works for the Ranchero. I know I was caught off guard over the Chevelle, so maybe there was a bunch of other stuff in the works when Hobbico closed the Revell offices. Hopefully we will see some exciting new kits in the coming months! And as Niteowl points out, the new owners have probably started turning a profit so they should have some extra cash to use for developing new kits!

Guys.....last I spoke with Revell personnel (pre-Hobbico bankruptcy) , they had done a deep dive into whether a Ranchero version of the '57 Ford tool was a viable project.  The conclusion was that to do the project with the level of accuracy demanded by today's adult kit marketplace, the project would have cost too much relative to the potential kit sales.   

Or stated another way, the same amount of investment toward a different new kit or new variant of an existing kit would yield better sales and revenue (thus leading to the funds available for yet more new kits....).   

These are the trade-offs any effective product manager must confront and decide.  

Bottom line, don't expect to see a Ranchero kit any time soon, unless the new management team concludes differently than the former team. 

At this point, my bigger question is whether we will see ANY new investment by Blitz/Revell Germany in kit topics that are primarily geared at the domestic United States market.  (Keep in mind that everything announced so far was done or nearly done with development before the bankruptcy.)   Or even a full detail kit of an American car (like the current generation Mustang) which has also been the top selling sports car worldwide for the last three years....  

TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

I am glad to see the Chevelle released so quickly after the months of silence from Blitz. If they'll get the '29/'30 Model A kits back to life as well, I think the "Buyng Public" away from the internet will be vastly pleased. AS for new tooling, I was left stunned after reading through these comments to see one that said in effect, "That's Nice that you newly tooled a '68 Belch Fire, but Where's the '64 Belch Fire Brougham, I need to complete my collection?".  These new Chevelles are not even on store shelves yet, and some modelers are already teeing off Doubts about this kit, and asking for other kits to be tooled.......?!?!?

Just Stunning!

Tell you what guys, let's buy caseloads of this one, and then start asking for more.  The phrase "Never Satisfied" begins creep around the edges of my mind, as I read some of the commentary about new kits.  Some folks online, seem to want perfection, at 1990 prices.  Go over to Hyperscale or Cybermodeler, and browse the new kit previews. Take a gander at what State-of-the-Art, 1/35 scale Armor & 1/48 Scale new tool kits are now listing for MSRP. Yes, street prices from H.L.J. are lower, but they are not Hobby Lobby 40% off coupons lower.

Look, I get it. I really do. Most of us appear to be Older, Established, Settled Modelers. We ALL remember lower prices from days of yore. Few of us seem (online anyhow) to be rolling in excess cash. So we pinch pennies and shop hard for bargains. I do it too. In fact, if I don't do it, I can't afford this hobby. Yet, I manage, like most of us, to acquire kits far faster than I can build them. All of the Modelers I know, seem to be collectors, whether they'll admit it or know. Rare is the Modeler with a "Stash" of fewer than 40 kits. Many (myself included) go into the hundreds. If you own over a hundred of something, that is a "Collection", by definition. Make you a "Collector", whether you define yourself that way or not. So, the continuous harping over what are essentially, mass produced industrial products, is a bit unseemly after a while.  I know, to each his own, but can we please keep it down to a "Dull Roar" rather than the pearl clutching, hysterics that inevitably  appear on cue with ever new product announcement?

Afterall, even the "Gold Standard" Johan kits are in fact pretty poor in some ways. Yes, the bodies are in most cases, superb, but after that they get weak quickly.

I cannot afford a case of 68 SS396, but I plan for at least 3. One for a hardtop, one for a convertible conversion, and one to keep for a later build.I already have the hardtop planned out. And it will have a few mods to be done my way. I may have to get some plum paint. I liked that color. I almost bought a 68 SS396 in that color with white stripes and interior, but it was ridden hard and put away wet.

To be honest, I always thought the '68 Chevelle was weird looking, even when new, and thought Chevy REALLY cleaned it up and made it beautiful for '69. But I'll be buying at least one of these just because, Chevy. B)

But am looking forward to retiring my modified Testor diecast....

Well well, with so many unsolicited judgments on one another's comments, here's mine: I too find posts pining for some other model year of some other subject annoying and off-topic.  Know what I do?

IGNORE THEM. 

And though some would clearly be overjoyed if they never again saw such germane feedback in a forum supposedly about such things, I clearly don't mind it when the grown-ups pick out a possible problem here or there with the subject of a given thread; just means I'll be more informed when I buy my two or three.

After all, till I'm a moderator around here, it ain't mine to mandate anyone else's content.  Just sayin'.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

First off, it looks like a pretty nice kit, and considering we had been worried whether we we would ever see a Revell kit again, it's hard to spin this as anything but good news.

But does anyone really expect the execs a Revell to go, "Right, we're shutting down 'cuz these guys are being mean!"?   These are big boys and girls, and there's a lot more at stake than some hurt feelings.  

As for the price of car kits vs. anything else, there is no shortage of high dollar car kits if that's the way you want to go.

The model car hobby also has a large number of people who don't like to build box stock.   $30 US for a kit may not seem like much for some,  but when you're making some hot rod or custom that requires parts from 3-4 different kits, that's going to get expensive pretty quickly. 

1 hour ago, Richard Bartrop said:

As for the price of car kits vs. anything else, there is no shortage of high dollar car kits if that's the way you want to go.

The model car hobby also has a large number of people who don't like to build box stock.   $30 US for a kit may not seem like much for some,  but when you're making some hot rod or custom that requires parts from 3-4 different kits, that's going to get expensive pretty quickly. 

Come to the dark side and build some big rigs, after buying a few of those, car kits seem cheap, lol. But, in the end, this is a hobby, and we spend disposable income on kits, parts, tools and supplies, and for the most part, I think a lot of the guys that pirate kits for parts are getting them in the secondary market, so the price to kit bash isn’t close to retail, still not dirt cheap, but not horrible.

Correct me if I'm wrong, which I'm sure a lot of you will, but comparing what happened in the past Revell to the future Revell is kind of a moot point since Revell of Germany will be responsible for any new tooling and it looks like Atlantis should be offering up some re-issues of older Revell/Monogram kits. We should all be excited about this new kit and any others that might come from this, as well as the possibility of some re-issue/re-tooling of older kits not in circulation for some time. For instance, and I'm speaking as a huge 60's and 70's Muscle Car fan, the 1971 Trans Am, '69 GTO, '70 Malibu SS454, '69 Super Bee, '70 GTX and Superbird, plus the Buick Grand National and '86 Monte Carlo SS just to name a few, if indeed the sale of molds included the old Monograms. The Atlantis situation is the one I will be watching closest regarding the older molds, but any more truly new kits from R of G will be seen as great news also.

Edited by Dragonhawk1066

http://www.finescale.com/online-extras/extra-articles/2018/09/revell-usa-is-back

"The new 1/25 scale Chevelle SS kit will include 126 pieces and feature a fully detailed 396cid V8, separate frame structure and tampo-printed redline tires. This will be a skill level 5 kit. For those looking to order one, the product is No. 85-4445."

I'm already thinking about all the kit bashing possibilities.... A super charger from the '68 2n1 Vette kit and maybe the pro street chassis from the '67 Chevelle kit???....B):rolleyes:

I'll probably end up buy 2 er 3 of these kits...:rolleyes:

Edited by Deuces

Outta my own curiosity, I pulled out my kit of Revell's 1967 Chevrolet Camaro, just to take a look and see if this new '68 Chevelle kit's 396 Big-block looked like a pick-up from that '67 Camaro kit's molds.  It's too early to tell due to few reference pics for the "68 Chevelle being out there yet, but to my eye, it looks like that's a very good possibility. 

4 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

now since they're one company, I wonder if availability in Europe will be improved, anyone in the know?

Doubt it. Just found out the other day new Revell US is not going to be the importer for Revell-Germany. Distributors are going to have to buy straight from Germany. Which might work out for the better, Hobbico was only ordering RoG restocks every quarter. The Dist’s I’ve talked to expect to be able to put an order in every month. 

1 hour ago, Deuces said:

I'm already thinking about all the kit bashing possibilities... maybe the pro street chassis from the '67 Chevelle kit???....B):rolleyes:

You'll have to shorten the wheelbase by 4 inches. Shouldn't be a big problem. 

I hope that the 396 is equipped one-of-three ways :

1.) No A.I.R. pump (like the '67 Camaro kits are saddled with ---- even the Nickey version)

2.) A.I.R. pump with all of the accompanying lines and hoses

3.) Optional pulleys / belts which are sans A.I.R. pump ( easier to modify , add headers , etc. )

Truly , the 427 from the Motion '69 Camaro and the COPO (and the '69 convertible) is the best of the Mark IV engines from Revell . The 396 in the '67 Chevelle SS is okay , but isn't nearly as nice -- and accurate -- as the '69 Camaro variations' .

12 hours ago, Brett Barrow said:

Doubt it. Just found out the other day new Revell US is not going to be the importer for Revell-Germany. Distributors are going to have to buy straight from Germany. Which might work out for the better, Hobbico was only ordering RoG restocks every quarter. The Dist’s I’ve talked to expect to be able to put an order in every month. 

Same modus operandi as Revell Germany did with US merchandise, every quarter hobby shops here receive a listing of R-M product they can order.

Oh well.

• Xingu locked this topic