Model Cars Magazine Forum

What are YOUR regrets ?

We all have regrets, what are some of your model related regrets ?

My biggest one was not anteing up the $100 for the Richard Petty 1/16th scale Charger i found at an automotive swap many years ago.

Yeah, quite crestfallen when it was reissued, WITHOUT the clear body. :wacko:

Yeah, I know, they couldn't cast it because it would break, it wouldn't be very clear, blah,blah, blah.

16-scale-mpc-super-petty-nascar_1_75670396d2dcad6ef8d4bff5fe349fa3.jpg

71-charger-richard-petty-mpc-clear_1_9b55fad7f2290677cc9bec8857bdff25 (1).jpg

Edited by Greg Myers

i built my very best model a 1948 ford convertible. it took me many months. the paint was perfect, no dust, no flaws. when i was doing the BMF on the kit, i was getting tired and felt like i should stop, but i was on the last bit that needed it. sure enough, the razor slipped and cut a inch line into the side of the car. i didnt have it in me to try to fix. i painted it a pail yellow and i knew if i tried to fix it the paint wouldnt match. 

to this day it bothers me. i tried twice to paint the a new body again to replace the messed up one, but i havent been able to get it as perfect as the original paint job on the one i messed up. 

Edited by youpey

I regret not cleaning my modeling stuff out of my parent's basement after I had moved out.

My father cleaned out the basement sometime later & threw away a number of old kits.

Included were several old Johan kits like a '69 Road Runner & a '58 Oldsmobile to name a couple.

I also regret not pulling the trigger on a complete AMT 1967 Barracuda kit that I stumbled across in an antique store a few years back.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

I regret not stocking up on all the JoHan kits sitting on my LHS shelves back in the late '80s/early '90s when they were selling for, what $8? Less? 

I did get one of everything I REALLY wanted. I wish I'd bought three each of those, and at least one each of everything else. 

38 minutes ago, Ich_Will said:

Throwing out the Tamiya Rothmans 956 I built as a kid. Sure it wasn't my best work, but I could have redone it.

About the "could have redone it" part.  It is not that hard to get ahold of the 956 kit and there are several companies that do the Rothmans decals.  The best build would be the Tamiya/Scale Motorsport kit.  That kit has everything.  They are hard to find, but not impossible.  The basic Tamiya kit was reissued  in the Newman livery not that long ago and are selling for about $30 on ebay.  The decals can be had for $15 to $30 depending on quality. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Not buying more Modelhaus full kits

Actually, not buying quite a few of the wares from now defunct aftermarket companies. Like the saying goes, buy it when you see it. because it may be gone tomorrow

I'll agree with that.

I wish that I had bought a '57 Buick & '61 Cadillac at least!

Steve

1 hour ago, Pete J. said:

About the "could have redone it" part.  It is not that hard to get ahold of the 956 kit and there are several companies that do the Rothmans decals.  The best build would be the Tamiya/Scale Motorsport kit.  That kit has everything.  They are hard to find, but not impossible.  The basic Tamiya kit was reissued  in the Newman livery not that long ago and are selling for about $30 on ebay.  The decals can be had for $15 to $30 depending on quality. 

I snagged a vintage 956 about 4 years ago, sources the Rothman decals and built it... would have been cool to have the old one to compare my skills before redoing. 

7 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

We all have regrets, what are some of your model related regrets ?

My biggest one was not anteing up the $100 for the Richard Petty 1/16th scale Charger i found at an automotive swap many years ago.

Yeah, quite crestfallen when it was reissued, WITHOUT the clear body. :wacko:

Yeah, I know, they couldn't cast it because it would break, it wouldn't be very clear, blah,blah, blah.

16-scale-mpc-super-petty-nascar_1_75670396d2dcad6ef8d4bff5fe349fa3.jpg

71-charger-richard-petty-mpc-clear_1_9b55fad7f2290677cc9bec8857bdff25 (1).jpg

I have one...unbuilt...clear body perfect...missing one valve cover...pm me if you are interested

6 hours ago, cobraman said:

I wish I still had all the models I destroyed by firecrackers, M 80's and shot up with BB and pellet guns. Who knew ?

Yup,I feel the same way.Or how about the ones that just wouldn't go together right,and that you either crushed it in your hands,or if no one was around,throw them against the wall.:o

3 minutes ago, Greg Myers said:

Yes Ron, I flew a Revell Skyraider into the wall. If any of you haven't built one of these, think Revell Tri- Fives "Everything opens, everything operates" 

I did recover as did the kit. Amazingly enough I did finish it with everything operational. :)

post-3071-1279622362.jpg

I think that's an original issue box. I have one in the late '60s or earlly '70s box with a VNAF A-1 pictured. Never got it finished, though I DID get the wing built with the amazing retracting landing gear that actually works as advertised, believe it or not. Used to did it out and run it through a few cycles every now and then, just for laughs. Main reason I never finished it is, it's in the oddball scale of 1:40. 

Geez, you all sound like bitter old folks full of regret.

Just kidding!

I regret not having enough time to spend with my family. I regret having to go to work and spend hours every day at the office instead of traveling or doing something fun. Model related - nothing really. Its all been fun and awesome so far!

10 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

one more, paying more attention when i got out of the Navy in 1974 returning to the States and not being aware of those great Aurora Racing Scenes kits.

I received a Pinto body Aurora Racing Scenes when I was a kid from a family member. They meant well. they didn't know they also had to purchase the chassis and the engine as well. My parents wouldn't fork over the money. My allowance was a mere pittance and would have taken a year to save up for each kit. I think I traded the body for something. My only regret is I never kept my models from my youth. They were all destroyed one way or another.

Edited by THarrison351

I regret not having photos of my childhood and early teen builds. My only one is a very blurry Instamatic print of my first good (cleanly painted and assembled with sewing thread wiring) model from about age ten.

I read somewhere that people are more likely to regret what they didn't do instead of regretting what they did do.