Model Cars Magazine Forum

Realistic Speed Racer Mach V - Completed!

Art Laski

The upcoming Spirit of Speed model show at the NHRA museum this November has a Movie/TV theme class, so it inspired me to throw something together. I’m going to do a “What if Speed Racer’s Mach V was a real car?” So I am converting the Polar Lights kit to a realistic period-inspired race car.

I’ll be borrowing style elements from Shelby Cobra, Ford GT40, and Lola T70 references from about the time the cartoon was first out.

First thing I did was flip the headlights over, and open up the rear wheel wells to fit a set of GT40 wheels from Historic Racing Miniatures I got from my good friend Randy at www.modelbuilderswh.com.

1536683240180-vi.jpg
1536683258135-vi.jpg
1536683261665-vi.jpg?1536691786
1536683290273-vi.jpg
1536683302995-vi.jpg
1536683384583-vi.jpg
1536683372191-vi.jpg

Edited by Art Laski

First Draft of the body work with the first of many coats of primer. A lot to fix, but it's a good start! I deleted the big fins, since I really want this to look like it is a real race car, and the fins were too over the top for that, I thought.

1536709698640-vi.jpg
1536709702974-vi.jpg
1536709729644-vi.jpg

Edited by Art Laski

Thanks for looking and the comments, guys.

3 hours ago, Day 2 Muscle said:

This is going to be awesome.... only one thing I see that looks a bit off. if I may, the front track looks a bit narrow compared to the rear.

Robert

Robert, it is narrower in the front, but the rear tires are much wider than the kit wheels. Still, I think I can tuck the rears in just a bit more.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the comments! Finally getting back on this one.

Here's a quick update on the Real Mach V project. I narrowed up the rear wheels and flares a bit, lined in a hood and added a hood scoop, and made some side pipes from a set of headers from the Owens Corning Corvette kit. I also made a driver's seat from a Tamiya Porsche glue bomb I had.

I have decided to go a different direction from the roll bar shown here, but I will have it on the next update. Thanks for looking!

1538848606909-vi.jpg
1538848613771-vi.jpg
1538848631455-vi.jpg
1538848618591-vi.jpg

16 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

This is great! Looks like a mid-late 50's Special with with the fenders and wheels. 

I need to make sure to attend this year. I live right down the street! Do you have a link to flyer?

B)

Dennis,

Thank you for the comment. We met at the GNRS earlier this year at Pomona as well. I hope you can make this one. I have a flyer to the show linked on my site here: Laski Scale Specialties Vendor Shows

-Art

This is something I've often thought about starting - and I can't think of anyone better to take it on!

It's interesting to note the difference in timeline/perspective that each modeler will bring to a project. Speed Racer (or Mach GoGoGo) was first introduced in 1966, by which time details such as you have included (wider tires, flares, braced roll bar, GT40 style wheels) would have been very much the standard of the age. But in the comic and cartoons the cars are kind of a throwback, something of an exaggerated, stylized version of late 50's pontoon-fendered front engine road racers along the lines of Ferrari TRs and Listers or, more specifically, the Sadler Mk. II and the Corvette SS. So when I have thought about doing one I have thought of doing it with narrower tires, no flares, and minimalist rollover protection.

One thing for sure, flipping the headlight position is genius in its simplicity - one of those breakthrough insights that has never occurred to me but is "obvious" once its shown to you! Bravo!

Build On, Art!

PS -  Speaking of The Spirit of Speed, one thought I had regarding doing it in an earlier style was to do one inspired but the great Stan Mott's iconic Pignatelli, cashing in on the already over-the-top body shape.

Pignatelli_lede.jpg