Model Cars Magazine Forum

Alright, we're getting a '48 Ford Coupe. How about a '41, or a '42 ?

I want a new '41 or '42 Ford coupe kit.  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which year would you like to see first in a new kit?

• 1941 Ford Coupe ?
    • 1942 Ford coupe ?

6 hours ago, dino246gt said:

I did a period custom, using Revell's chopped '48, and kept Revell's front fender to door intact, otherwise the AMT'41 will droop to the front.

So here it is in a nutshell!

Dec. 7 001 (Large).JPG

Dec. 7 004 (Large).JPG

Dec. 9 003 (Large).JPG

Finished 014 (Large).JPG

That is a beautiful conversion. I would think you could do the same thing with the stock '48 Ford coupe just as well. 

Thanks Dennis, for showing us a beautiful model and a great way of doing it.  I don't know that I would have thought of the zig zag cut but it is so obvious when someone else has already done it!  Not only do you overcome any proportion issues that you mentioned, you also have a much easier area to prepare for paint, rather than trying to clean up the join between the back edge of the fender and the front edge of the doors - that would be a nightmare!

I had already cut the front off the woody for such a project and was also intending to graft a 41 Plymouth front clip onto the remaining woody body.  Your great work here has got me thinking about it all over again!

Cheers

Alan

Yes I think using the stock Revell '48 would be the same as what I did with the chopped version.

Have you, or anyone else, tried that '41 Plymouth front clip?

I have the woody body that I've been "playing" with, don't have front fenders for it yet and using '48s seems silly because there IS a '48 woody already.

Oh, for my custom I used stock '49 Merc tail lights and I think they're perfect, considering that "back then" they used parts from other cars for customs.

May 8 004A.jpg

15 hours ago, Craig Irwin said:

Everybody's missing the 41 has running boards, got to swap them over too.

The '41 thru '48 shared the same basic body. The running boards are present in all of them, the lower portion of the door covers them. Relook at the picture of the '41 and you will see a black rubber portion of the running board below the bottom edge of the door. Then review the later '46 thru '48's and this area now has chrome trim covering the running boards. When you would open the door the running boards are there as this was a time when all the manufactures were going to what they used to call an enclosed body. In my early life time I have owned a '41, 2- '46's and a '48. They were just inexpensive easily found rides at the time and about all I could afford. No one could have ever realized  the values of today.    

• 2 years later...