Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell BMW 507

FabbricaP

I'd like to share my next build - a Revell's BMW 507. Looks like a solid kit with great details and a faithfully reproduced body. The only downside imo is the kit supplied wheels. I personally like the rudge wheels a lot more than the dog dish hub cabs supplied in the kit. Since there are no aftermarket wheels I could find, I decided to use rudge wheels from a Mercedes 300SL Gullwing.

I got a good deal on an old partially started AMT Mercedes Gullwing kit and took the rudge wheels from this kit. Apart from the wheels, I'm planning on building this mostly OOB, but who knows.. Color will be Tamiya TS-38 Gun Metal with a tan interior. Thanks for looking in!

Body looks really nice. Started with cleaning the body and attaching the separately molded lower front fascia.

IpkzUv2.jpg

On the left is the kit supplied wheel and dog dish. On the right is the wheel from the AMT Gullwing kit and the 507 wheel with the center cut out.

X050O35.jpg

I fit the Gullwing wheel inside the 507 wheel. Although this creates an extra lip, it looks decent enough to pass. The kit wheel actually looks really nice with the dog dish so the first cut was a little painful.:lol:

j5zghxK.jpg

LFubM4u.jpg

And a little fun... I think the Mercedes hubcab on the 507 wheel is actually a nice look.

MEyFLsH.jpg

Aaah! Another one of my '50's favorites! I definitely gotta follow this one! I built this kit a looooong time ago (early '90's), and I don't remember it being a tough kit at all. That's more than I can say about other Revell kits. Is yours the softtop version or the hardtop? ROG did both and the version I originally built had the hardtop.

IMO, the hardtop shape is not quite accurate, but nothing that some reworking can't fix.

Keep us posted!

5 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Aaah! Another one of my '50's favorites! I definitely gotta follow this one! I built this kit a looooong time ago (early '90's), and I don't remember it being a tough kit at all. That's more than I can say about other Revell kits. Is yours the softtop version or the hardtop? ROG did both and the version I originally built had the hardtop.

IMO, the hardtop shape is not quite accurate, but nothing that some reworking can't fix.

Keep us posted!

Good thing I’ve got the soft top version!

2 hours ago, afx said:

Looking forward to the project Jason.  HRM offers a very nice Rudge wheel/ Englebert tire set if you are interested.

DSCN2720

Thanks JC, i picked up a set of these from Harold and was originally going to use them on this build but unfortunately they are too small for this car’s wheel wells. Saving em for a future Tamiya Gullwing build!

3 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

I seem to recall an old review of this kit (maybe in Strictly Stock?) that said that it had a gloriously complicated interior assembly with tons of separate pieces. I know it's a kit that I've long wanted and I'm excited to see it built with care.

The interior does look very nice and has excellent detailed parts. 

Here's some more progress...

I didn't like the kit supplied kidney grilles so I cut them out of the frame and started making grille vents with some aluminum from a soda can.

Here's how they came.. WHY Revell!??

3esYkI6.jpg

Took forever, but got one side finished so far.

mg6sHV0.jpg

0ndmYNs.jpg

Thanks for looking in!

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Progress has been really slow and I've been lazy posting WIP pics, but nearing completion!

I originally was going to go with a dark metallic grey color but changed my mind at the last minute and sprayed MCW mint green metallic. I messed up the body and had to strip and re-paint which added to my delays. :(

Used 99.9% alcohol to get the paint off, but had to sand the primer off as it wouldn't budge at all.

WjVMIHX.jpg

Here is the re-painted body with clear coat. Still need to polish 

1jnkb4d.jpg

I added some detailing to the interior with sticky-backed felt sheets for the carpet mats and thin leather sheets for the trim.

Czi9Gda.jpg?1

BMF'd the seat trim pieces and added leather handles for the door inserts. I think Revell did a nice job with the chrome door handle and window crank

sscTUwD.jpg

Interior is pretty much done now. Used 30 gauge wire for the steering wheel trim piece.

h2pRAfw.jpg

DYZ267H.jpg

I had to cut the wheels from the 300SL kit a bit so it would fit.

kS3ezEL.jpg?1

Just finished the wheels today. Thankfully, the plan worked out and happy with the result. The chrome outer rims where painted with Alclad Chrome.

nMqJfFR.jpg

Also finished up the under carriage.

GLWjkLx.jpg?1

Also added some detail to the engine. Replaced the carbs with Stromberg carbs I found on Shapeways and used some wire to make the fuel lines. I got the push rod ends from RB motion

VgoSGf9.jpg

Wrapped some mesh around the air cleaners.

XXUy6w6.jpg

gqAE2Vz.jpg

Thanks for looking in!

27 minutes ago, Superbird McMonte said:

These are knock-offs, just not done yet. Here is what they look like done.

6AA7A725-76B8-461F-AE47-000D18782882.png

7B57FFDC-7A9C-4026-A752-A28DA2E8683E.png

5F043181-089A-45CC-998D-3062221140B7.jpeg

EC9BF98D-B64E-4EA6-86FA-D5FC3EF96235.jpeg

69371AF4-CCA9-4851-AB58-BC1EE1AAA43A.jpeg

These knockoffs look perfect! I think I came across this die cast model while searching for possible replacement wheels. I was prepared to buy a 1/24 507 diecast just for the wheels but couldn’t find any at the right scale. Thanks for the ref pics tho. The car does look so much better with the knock offs imo!