Model Cars Magazine Forum

Padded Dash

I have 2 suggestions, 

1. Try the old dry spray from a distance for texture and light sanding to knock down the high spots. OR...

2. Use unprimed lacquer crazing to your advantage. Mask off everything you don't want to have vinyl texture, and spray the lacquer paint to MAKE the texture you want. Paint the dash the correct color afterwards. 

Best wishes. 

On 9/18/2018 at 6:40 AM, gearhedjon said:

Thank you for your reply. How do I use the lacquer crazing method? Any lacquer paint? How do I get the paint to craze? Thanks, John

You know,  automotive touch up paint. The kind that always ruins the bodies when you don't want it to.

Practice on something else first.

Spray light coats from a distance to test for texture. The heavier you spray or the more coats you use, the more inconsistent it will be. Don't use this for the color, only for the texture. You can sand down some of the texture before painting. Spray enamel or acrylic paint for the final finish.

Hope this helps. 

I have done this a time or two when I need some texture.  Paint the object.   Let paint cure for a few minutes or seconds - depends on paint.  Then touch it.  Leave a fingerprint.  Then jsut tap it lightly with your finger tip to dull the paint down and add a texture to it.   keep adding fingerprints til it's jsut texture and not fingerprints.   Takes some experimentation, but will work.   Can do this on any object.  I have used it to cover a glue seam on raqnsmission as well.   If the seam doesn't compleately disapppear, tap the wet paint enough to help obscure the seam.   Doesn't work on shiny parts though - they still have to be sanded to get rid of seams.  

Thank you very much for your replies. I am currently trying a different approach tell me what you think. My wife uses hair spray in the bathroom, it leaves a residue on the counter. It has a little texture. Nothing huge but you can feel it. We tried it on a painted surface and painted over it too. You can feel it but it's not really visible like a rough orange peel texture. What do you guys think? I'll try this and your suggestions and compare them. Results to follow. Thanks, John