Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius 1970 Ford Custom Cab 4x4

Just started a couple days ago . This is just a mock up . These are aftermarket tires . I did not like how the truck would sit with the stock suspension ( too low ) so I modified it . Found some leaf springs in my parts box and ditched the stock front end suspension and used the leaf springs . I don’t claim this to be correct in fact I know it’s Mickey Mouse but it will have the desired effect . I think . 

05AE72E5-CF03-40B3-BDBB-19F4DC3BABEF.jpeg

6633D1DE-3A85-4553-B6FF-60D5523D361C.jpeg

Actually those driveshafts were a little known option in 1969 and some very early 1970 trucks.  OK that's BS. I used to do that to a lot of my models. Call it a trademark perhaps. It started for me when I wanted to dress up the underside years ago. Stupid  ? Perhaps ? But for good or bad it does get attention.

7 hours ago, Jordan White said:

Love the color too! I've gotta ask though, what's with the candy-cane striped driveshafts? :P

Back in the day, late 80's early 90's all of us who had jacked up four wheel drives candy striped our drive shafts. Mine was black and yellow for a while then white and yellow.

Build looks great so far!!

Thanks for the comments guys. This kit goes together pretty well but I did encounter my first problem. Installing the windshield was a bit of a problem. When done and installing the interior tub there is a hole where the dash does not meet the lower part of the window glass. It looks like everything was assembled the way it is meant to but try as I might I was always left with the opened area. Did I do something wrong ? I don't know but I can't see where I messed up if I did.

If its the same mold as the 71 Ranger which I am sure it is, it will require some grinding to get everything to fit right.  I had to grind away lower portion of windshield, lower portion of interior tub where it meets the firewall and some on the firewall as well (backside).  The goal for me was to get the interior tub up as close as possible to the vent windows. This will also aid in getting the bed to line up with the cab. here is a pic to show how the tub should fit in relation to the vent window.  Hope it helps!IMG_1460.thumb.JPG.90d75e3962f845ff5e09d4e97b2b93a6.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2018 at 1:07 PM, cobraman said:

Thanks for the comments guys. This kit goes together pretty well but I did encounter my first problem. Installing the windshield was a bit of a problem. When done and installing the interior tub there is a hole where the dash does not meet the lower part of the window glass. It looks like everything was assembled the way it is meant to but try as I might I was always left with the opened area. Did I do something wrong ? I don't know but I can't see where I messed up if I did.

Ahhh. I see what you are saying , Ray. I don’t know how I missed your thread. This Ford looks fantastic. That color fits the pickup really well.