Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis Model & The Ex-Monogram/Revell/Aurora/Renwal Molds

We've seen images of the old '50s and '60s era molds Revell had stored in their Illinois warehouse, some (many?) of which Atlantis Models acquired. They have begun to share publicly exactly what they acquired, starting with this mold for the Revell Douglas D558-2 Skyrocket: 

41824651_1944770588936465_29914038507552

Let the automotive model related speculation and hopes begin. ^_^

Edited by Casey

They seem to lean toward the really old and really simple so,  as far as the auto related kits go, probably the Highway Pioneers, and the dream cars ( the Futura and the Club de Mer).  For the Aurora kits, their 1/16 scale brass era kits.   For Monogram, their Indy roadster and vintage drag kits might be a good fit with the Smer Grand Prix kits they already have.

Maybe some of the older Starbird customs like the Futurista?

11 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

I hope he got those molds. I need the glass for a Revell '62 Dodge Dart 4 Dr. The glass in the box is for the Valiant V 200. 

Of any of those kits, the last one I would hold my breath waiting for would be the Dart.  That's the one that got hacked and whacked into the "funny car" body.  Hopefully they did get some halfway decent car stuff...

16 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

The glass from the Revell '62 Fury HT fits; but, I'm not robbing Peter to pay Paul. I'd still be short a set of glass. If the Fury and/or the other remaining 1962 Mopar molds, are part of the haul, I'll be a happy camper. :) 

if it's part of the deal and they're willing to invest, to tool up a tire mold and one for glass too, it will happen, what's otherwise the point of having it, unless they needed a heavyweight doorstop ;)

1 hour ago, Luc Janssens said:

if it's part of the deal and they're willing to invest, to tool up a tire mold and one for glass too, it will happen, what's otherwise the point of having it, unless they needed a heavyweight doorstop ;)

Well, that's only assuming they had the ability to pick and choose what they wanted...which, from what I read, they really didn't It sounded more like Blitz said "anybody want the molds we don't?", and Atlantis jumped at the chance, took the whole lot, then Salvino's took the NASCAR stuff off Atlantis' hands.

That said, I would expect Atlantis would go through all the molds, grade each mold's condition, then decide how to proceed. Maybe it takes months, and maybe they never make it all the way through the entire lot. I really don't know for sure, but my guess is Atlantis saw or had access to the master catalog Revell, Inc. had, and know which molds have a fighting chance of being run successfully in the near future. While working on producing and ultimately releasing those, they buy themselves some time  to sort through the rest, or at least more of, the molds. It may take years for a vintage Revell automotive kit to see production, and we also have to consider the only auto related kits we ever get from Atlantis might be the ex-Aurora 1/32 Mako Shark in an Aurora-style retro box. I am all for people hoping and wishing their favorite presumed-to-be-lost mold turns up and is said model is produced again, but fantasy and reality rarely mesh perfectly, so tempering expectations might be in order, hard as that is to do.

My gut tells me Atlantis is going to surprise us with two auto-related long-lost kits over the next two years or so, but I think for the most part, most of the kits we pine for are gone forever, never to return-- 1/16 Aurora Racing Scenes everything, 1/12 Tom Daniel Mean Maverick and Super Dragster, etc.

Here's hoping that some good will come out of this bankruptcy. Revell has been getting by for a while and maybe, just maybe the restructuring will allow them to start again with the drive they had when they first started. As far as the companies who have gotten the old molds, perhaps they will see this as a new opportunity and dive to restore the old tools and make a go of it.

5 minutes ago, Bucky said:

Since this thread's title has the name "Renwal" in it, I'll put in a request for these to be re-issued!! 

s-l640.jpg

Who knows....maybe??? LOL

I'd buy them too, and they might even be a good fit with Atlantis' scifi and what-if kits, but it's my understanding that the moulds are long gone.   Not that I'd be terribly upset if I were proven wrong.

I picked up the Stutz long ago. and missed out on the rest.

I know some of Renwal's 1/48 classic kits were reissued by Revell, and I wouldn't mind seeing those come back.

On the subject of old kits,  does anyone know if the moulds for the ex-Best Aurora indy cars survived?   Those would seem to be a good fit for Atlantis.

Edited by Richard Bartrop

30 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I picked up the Stutz long ago. and missed out on the rest.

I know some of Renwal's 1/48 classic kits were reissued by Revell, and I wouldn't mind seeing those come back.

On the subject of old kits,  does anyone know if the moulds for the ex-Best Aurora indy cars survived?   Those would seem to be a good fit for Atlantis.

O scale model railroaders need them too!!!!!

4 hours ago, oldcarfan said:

Here's hoping that some good will come out of this bankruptcy. Revell has been getting by for a while and maybe, just maybe the restructuring will allow them to start again with the drive they had when they first started. As far as the companies who have gotten the old molds, perhaps they will see this as a new opportunity and dive to restore the old tools and make a go of it.

I’ve said it in other threads and I just wanted to reiterate it here, the bankruptcy was 100% on Hobbico/Great Planes/Tower. Revell had been turning a profit and even with their parent company (and main distributor) in serious trouble were only ~$800,000 in the red for 2017. Their parent had a loss in 2017 of something like $30 million. 

Edited by Brett Barrow

On 9/15/2018 at 4:41 PM, Bucky said:

Since this thread's title has the name "Renwal" in it, I'll put in a request for these to be re-issued!! 

s-l640.jpg

Who knows....maybe??? LOL

I too want to see the above kits brought back. Not the best kits in the world. But, I love the subjects. Another old kit I would love to see if they have the dies for and hopefully see reissued is below.

IMG_2980.JPG

Edited by unclescott58

2 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

I too want to see the above kits brought back. Not the best kits in the world. But, I love the subjects. Another old kit I would love to see if they have the dies for and hopefully see reissued is below.

IMG_2980.JPG

Why? You can still find them for about $1000 bucks or so! :rolleyes:

Not gonna guarantee this was one of the molds Atlantis acquired, but if this picture...

Atlantis8_Revell-Monogram-ElkGrove10_18.

...is accurate, and shows the molds being prepped to move to Deer Park, NY, Atlantis Models' HQ, and if the white number 1245 stenciled onto the rear mold is also accurate and is, in fact, a kit number, then it should be for this:

RevellH1245.jpg.f44d5326cc9cec13486e152989df4e66.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Pretty sure this is the same/most recent reissue of the above '60 Corvette?:

91rm7iH8RWL._SX463_.jpg

Now for the mold in front bearing number 1153...Revell C1153 was the Custom Car Interior Parts...

revell1153.jpg.7e9533137a2b5ac980c521f3a1a4e631.jpg

...but that seems far too small, at least on its own. I'm pretty sure the parts packs were bunched four (maybe six?) to a mold, but no idea if I'm even on the right track here. Revell 1153 also coincides with the Robotech Defenders Talos kit, too, so maybe it's that?:

48-revell-1153-robotech-defenders_1_7013