Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis Model & The Ex-Monogram/Revell/Aurora/Renwal Molds

So, are we about to see a wave of GOTRB kits on ebay? People always start dumping as soon as a hint of a re-release comes out.  These kits did fetch a good amount when sold and the resin replicas are not cheap either. 

Glad it will be available, and affordable, to the masses! 

6 minutes ago, Mr mopar said:

I see one for $1,200  but don't see the Atlantis one ?

Yeah, there have been originals and reissues available since those were new, with people charging various amounts for them.

Dave Van posted this on the Coffin Corner forum, so I guess we'll wait to hear what Atlantis has to say when they are ready to make an announcement:

"On OCT 25 Atlantis will publish a list of the kits they will produce the first 6 months of 2019..."

22 minutes ago, Casey said:

Yeah, there have been originals and reissues available since those were new, with people charging various amounts for them.

Dave Van posted this on the Coffin Corner forum, so I guess we'll wait to hear what Atlantis has to say when they are ready to make an announcement:

"On OCT 25 Atlantis will publish a list of the kits they will produce the first 6 months of 2019..."

thank you Casey!

Only serious collectors are willing enough to shell out ridiculous amounts of cash for old plastic kits that in all probability will never be built, and end up in landfill after their demise!

Serious .modellers on the other hand will either wait for the reissue, or actually enjoy getting and building that perceived rare kit and doing what the kit was designed for!

Edited by Bugatti Fan

16 minutes ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Only serious collectors are willing enough to shell out ridiculous amounts of cash for old plastic kits that in all probability will never be built, and end up in landfill after their demise!

Serious .modellers on the other hand will either wait for the reissue, or actually enjoy getting and building that perceived rare kit and doing what the kit was designed for!

Amen to that! ??

Edited by MrObsessive

1 hour ago, Greg Myers said:

Really hard to believe that this snap kit is what everyone is so excited about. :blink:

Not everyone is excited, but it's not difficult for people with empathy to understand that while this kit may not appeal to them, there are other kits which Atlantis may reissue in the future which will.

For those not familiar with the Monogram Lil Red Baron kit, it's basically a caricature version of the classic Tom Daniel-designed Red Baron kit, and one of two dozen or so kits in the series of caricature kits released the early '70s:

lrb1.jpg.c25086606338909f2a1caef5a0201f47.jpg

lrb2.jpg.dcd8d15eee1cca40105d9ec72f646ee9.jpg

lrb3.jpg.135c988edf4385bd44831a8a13379f50.jpg

lrb4.jpg

Edited by Casey

Right, everyone has to stop getting excited about things I'm not interested in, and they have to do it right NOW!

Seriously, maybe it isn't some people's thing, but it's still a big deal that it's coming back from the dead, and it's a very encouraging sign that other obscure kits might be brought back from the dead.

Me, I'm hoping Atlantis will bring back some of the vintage car kits, and some of the hypothetical spaceships.

That's the ticket, Richard. Not everything needs to be car-related. Atlantis was able to get a large selection of molds which haven't tasted hot styrene in decades. Iy'll be interesting to see what they are. Maybe Rick picked up the molds for the Aurora Bomarc and other missile kits.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Not everyone is excited, but it's not difficult for people with empathy to understand that while this kit may not appeal to them, there are other kits which Atlantis may reissue in the future which will.

For those not familiar with the Monogram Lil Red Baron kit, it's basically a caricature version of the classic Tom Daniel-designed Red Baron kit, and one of two dozen or so kits in the series of caricature kits released the early '70s:

lrb1.jpg.c25086606338909f2a1caef5a0201f47.jpg

lrb2.jpg.dcd8d15eee1cca40105d9ec72f646ee9.jpg

lrb3.jpg.135c988edf4385bd44831a8a13379f50.jpg

lrb4.jpg

And if you look on Ebay this kit goes for big money ....... don't know why . I would like to see Atlantis do all the snapper kits .

1 minute ago, Greg Myers said:

Wonder what other Aurora molds they will find?

Like Forest Hanks allegedly said, "Wondering about what molds Atlantis got is like going to a Chinese restaurant and ordering the house special. You never know what to expect until the waiter brings your plate."