Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis Model & The Ex-Monogram/Revell/Aurora/Renwal Molds

From Atlantis' "About Us":

"Another project that was important to us was the Aurora Sealab kit. Unfortunately this project suffered the same fate as the Gladiators. A very high tooling cost and not enough pre-orders just couldn't justify us going forward with the project. It was a real heartbreaker as once again we had all the art ready and had the parts scanned by our factory in China."

We could always cross our fingers and hope this'll go through in the future.

18 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

From Atlantis' "About Us":

"Another project that was important to us was the Aurora Sealab kit. Unfortunately this project suffered the same fate as the Gladiators. A very high tooling cost and not enough pre-orders just couldn't justify us going forward with the project. It was a real heartbreaker as once again we had all the art ready and had the parts scanned by our factory in China."

We could always cross our fingers and hope this'll go through in the future.

Too bad. I would love the Sealab kit. And I don't know why? 

7 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Not everything needs to be car-related. 

:blink:

General

For general model car hobby or 1:1 automotive related topics ONLY.

7 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

And if you look on Ebay this kit goes for big money ....... don't know why.

I think it was only issued twice, and last in 197...3? I doubt they made 50,000 each production run, either, so they are definitely not common by any means. I think I paid $40+ for an built version over a decade ago, and lucked into an affordable Lil T'rantula. It would be neat to see all of the Monogram caricature kits return, but we'll have to wait and see/hear. I doubt Atlantis has even finished going through everything they acquired yet.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

:blink:

General

For general model car hobby or 1:1 automotive related topics ONLY.

I think it was only issued twice, and last in 197...3? I doubt they made 50,000 each production run, either, so they are definitely not common by any means. I think I paid $40+ for an built version over a decade ago, and lucked into an affordable Lil T'rantula. It would be neat to see all of the Monogram caricature kits return, but we'll have to wait and see/hear. I doubt Atlantis has even finished going through everything they acquired yet.

I wonder if Atlantis also got the Deals wheels Molds too ?

Edited by Mr mopar

Speaking of lost Aurora tools...

Anyone else want some of these?

5bc818742e2c3_db3cd7ab38ba4595e56f4a494e5f0018(1).jpg.9538a42001aa8dd0fa5ff2311857367a.jpg

vintage-fire-engine-lafrance-900-pumper-model-kit-the-lindberg-line-8a8bb475950b1447b6be80ae326e573e.jpg.09fbdcf934fad7f41163a4eede399f33.jpg

5bc818ee70883_AuroraModSquadWagon.jpg.a80cb7753bc0c00eb21fb2cf939cd7d3.jpg

I know, the Revell Merc wagon outdoes this one by a mile, but this one still has 51 parts and I'd love to have the figures and accessories again.

BTW, the wheels on the firetruck are perfect for medium duty use in 1/25 scale.

Edited by Oldcarfan27

20 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Speaking of lost Aurora tools...

Anyone else want some of these?

5bc818ee70883_AuroraModSquadWagon.jpg.a80cb7753bc0c00eb21fb2cf939cd7d3.jpg

I know, the Revell Merc wagon outdoes this one by a mile, but this one still has 51 parts and I'd love to have the figures and accessories again.

Except it's a '50, not a '51.

Edited by Robberbaron

On October 16, 2018 at 4:16 PM, Richard Bartrop said:

Because high tech in any form is really cool, and at the time it was the closest thing to a real life space station?

As far as auto related models go, this is one I'd really like to see make a comeback.

The Porsche 904 would also be right up there.

29541.jpg

I have seen this Porsche many times over the years, how does it build?

I'd agree with Richard's assessment. That Porsche 904 was one of the first model cars I ever built. It was WAY too difficult for me at the time (fiddly engine parts and thin engine cover struts), but apparently it fit together just fine, as it's still on my shelf. It's a great looking car and I'd love to build another someday. 

So how come no one has piled into this thread like a derailed Aurora tooling train to point out that you all are just uselessly speculating, and nobody but Atlantis actually knows what's going on?

I mean every Revell thread for 8 months around here got poo poo'd by some of you guys that nobody knew what was going on, even though some of us clearly did.

3 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

So how come no one has piled into this thread like a derailed Aurora tooling train to point out that you all are just uselessly speculating, and nobody but Atlantis actually knows what's going on?

I mean every Revell thread for 8 months around here got poo poo'd by some of you guys that nobody knew what was going on, even though some of us clearly did.

Pretty sure because this thread is pie-in-the sky, positive, daydreaming type speculation, rather than the doom-and-gloom, sky is falling, negative speculation that surrounded the Hobbico bankruptcy thread. Looks like the upbeat tone of this thread has helped it stay afloat. 

12 hours ago, slusher said:

I have seen this Porsche many times over the years, how does it build?

FYI: there are two Porsche 904 kits that have been released under the Revell/Monogram nameplate in 1/24 and 1/25 scale. 

The 1/24 kit which is basically a slot car body/curbside. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/176383-monogram-pc127-porsche-904

The 1/25th kit which (I believe) originally was the old Aurora kit and has the engine/interior etc. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/176395-monogram-2954-porsche-904

I've got both but, naturally, I haven't built either.

Edited by The Junkman

4 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Pretty sure because this thread is pie-in-the sky, positive, daydreaming type speculation, rather than the doom-and-gloom, sky is falling, negative speculation that surrounded the Hobbico bankruptcy thread. Looks like the upbeat tone of this thread has helped it stay afloat. 

Amen to that, and it's fun too!