Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis Model & The Ex-Monogram/Revell/Aurora/Renwal Molds

The 4 engines they reissued in 98 were not hot sellers. And at most swap meets you can usually find at least a couple in the $5-7 range. Same on eBay

But, just daydreaming here, what if Atlantis got the rest of that tooling? they could possibly then offer up those Double kits? 

image.jpeg.c3ef5de923d476137bff1510f8e3b110.jpeg  image.jpeg.2e90d928c10f06fb6f52fa14f21760ba.jpeg  image.jpeg.db41f1b4556d3e2cd40d5188466c7f33.jpeg

Edited by Mr. Metallic

2 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

The 4 engines they reissued in 98 were not hot sellers. And at most swap meets you can usually find at least a couple in the $5-7 range. Same on eBay

But, just daydreaming here, what if Atlantis got the rest of that tooling? they could possibly then offer up those Double kits? 

image.jpeg.c3ef5de923d476137bff1510f8e3b110.jpeg  image.jpeg.2e90d928c10f06fb6f52fa14f21760ba.jpeg  image.jpeg.db41f1b4556d3e2cd40d5188466c7f33.jpeg

Or at least these packs? I'd buy several of each of these

Image result for revell parts packs  Image result for revell parts packs

Here's one of my faves from the original Parts Pack days: #C-1157 Accessory Display Items.  Jackstands, very nice hand tools, a crawler, a floor jack, an engine stand, gas cans. Chrome crankshafts and pistons!  Even stanchions for the car show, and a chrome rope to hang between them. 

rev_disp1.jpg

https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/instruction_sheetsh/instruction_sheets/revell-2/revell-mr-sandman-w/

I think this kit would be a good fit for Atlantis, if they have the tooling.

Hard Plastic tires on the wheels, and the truck tires are not vinyl. Not sure what they are but maybe they can be fudged? This the only 1/25 Scale Buggy kit and while very simple, it looks great. Has not been on the shelves for over 30 years.

• 1 year later...
On 1/10/2019 at 11:23 AM, Mr mopar said:

Just seen this on FB Atlantis found this mold ?

49719496_2111911892222333_8973725916018507776_o.jpg

Here's a screengrab of the message between myself and Atlantis from 4-21-20 via facebook regarding the ex-Monogram 1/8 scale V8 Customizing Engine kit:

Screenshot.thumb.png.cee6e164090a5ca9084771083392177f.png

• 3 months later...
On 10/29/2018 at 9:55 AM, Casey said:

I hope the announcement of the 1/48 White Mobil tanker trailer isn't a bit of foreshadowing, and the 1/48 ex-Revell '55(?) Ford pickup and Chevy Two-Ton stakebed kits are next. 

Bummer. ?

AAN-1401 1/48 1955 Chevrolet 2-Ton Stake Bed Truck

As Atlantis have acquired the Renwall moulds, I wonder if the Virgil Exner 1960,s design versions of the Packard, Bugatti, Duesenberg, Mercer Cobra, and the rest of that small series of moulds still exist? It would be nice to see these reissued it Atlantis have them. As far as I can remember they were only issued once.

7 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

As Atlantis have acquired the Renwal moulds

Some or all? You should contact Atlantis and ask them. No guarantee they will tell you, but I doubt there's a competing entity looking to beat Atlantis to the punch and reissue these Neo Classic kits.

From Atlantis' FB page...you facebook haters should divert your gaze and look away. 

Coming soon H1401 1955 Chevy Stake Truck with newly tooled glass for the kit for the first time! #Atlantiskits
Look for more great Automotive announcements soon.

21 hours ago, Casey said:

Some or all? You should contact Atlantis and ask them. No guarantee they will tell you, but I doubt there's a competing entity looking to beat Atlantis to the punch and reissue these Neo Classic kits.

From Atlantis' FB page...you facebook haters should divert your gaze and look away. 

Coming soon H1401 1955 Chevy Stake Truck with newly tooled glass for the kit for the first time! #Atlantiskits
Look for more great Automotive announcements soon.

Too bad it's not a 1/25 scale kit.... Oh, well.. ?

• 6 months later...
On 3/1/2019 at 11:08 AM, Mike999 said:

Here's one of my faves from the original Parts Pack days: #C-1157 Accessory Display Items.  Jackstands, very nice hand tools, a crawler, a floor jack, an engine stand, gas cans. Chrome crankshafts and pistons!  Even stanchions for the car show, and a chrome rope to hang between them. 

rev_disp1.jpg

Atlantis just shared a pic of the Accessory Display Items mold on their facebook page, but the section for the hand tools, gas can, and fire extinguisher is missing and blanked off now:

AtlantisRevellCarShowPPMold.jpg.566d2a10b53c19fd00c17a041fccbb73.jpg

2 hours ago, Mark said:

The gas can and fire extinguisher haven't turned up in another kit that I'm aware of, but those hand tools look a lot like the ones in the Revell '53/'54 Chevy kits...

Good catch! Looks like a section of the mold was cut off and put into the '53/'54 mold:

1081946419_54rev_disp1.jpg.7035af7993025381c846a4e335f3e72d.jpg

On 3/1/2019 at 11:08 AM, Mike999 said:

rev_disp1.jpg

When did this parts pack come out?

12 hours ago, Casey said:

Atlantis just shared a pic of the Accessory Display Items mold on their facebook page, but the section for the hand tools, gas can, and fire extinguisher is missing and blanked off now:

AtlantisRevellCarShowPPMold.jpg.566d2a10b53c19fd00c17a041fccbb73.jpg

If (likely) that section was removed for use in the Chevy kit, it's doubtful that Revell would have had their engineering staff fabricate a piece to block off the (then) empty section.  They'd have just left it alone, and just set it aside in case they wanted to use another section in something later on.  Maybe Atlantis stuck that filler piece in, with the thought of issuing this pack at some point?

11 minutes ago, Mark said:

Maybe Atlantis stuck that filler piece in, with the thought of issuing this pack at some point?

Not sure, as they didn't say much about it in facebook. That corner insert does look rather freshly machined though, so I guess we'll have to wait and see. I can't see this being a huge sales success if they decide to release it, but Atlantis doesn't seem to be in the position that every release needs to hit the bullseye.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Not sure, as they didn't say much about it in facebook. That corner insert does look rather freshly machined though, so I guess we'll have to wait and see. I can't see this being a huge sales success if they decide to release it, but Atlantis doesn't seem to be in the position that every release needs to hit the bullseye.

You can see where they cut a gate in the new piece to flow the plastic through it. And yes, I would not see myself trying to get this or ever use it. 

Maybe the plan is to include this as an extra in another kit, as opposed to issuing it separately.  The Mooneyes dragster is apparently being released as a single car kit instead of the original double kit, but with the Chrysler engine included as an extra.  Possibly each car from the old double kits will be issued as a stand-alone with an extra or two, instead of in double kits.  That way, they'd get twice as many releases and also make use of more of those parts pack tools.  They probably have to run several of those together at one time anyway, to make better use of the capacity of the injection molding machines.