Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 1980 Ford Bronco "beating on a dead horse"

I'm calling this one done, it was supposed to be a one week build between christmas eve and newyears eve last year. It kind of snowballed a bit. My first idea was to build a used-but-not-abused daily driver kind of thing. A car with slightly faded paint and some minor dents maybe, a little dirt and some hints of rust. After having glued togheter chassis and engine and interior and painted everything flat black I started addid Deluxe Materials Scenic Rust to the chassis and used Doc O'Briens wheatering powders on the interior. It quickly went in to the abused-and-left-for-dead look. The body was treated to heat and a screwdriverhandle and some dremel action. I also used salt on it between the red oxide primer and blue top coat.

Later on I added some details to interior, some workshop manuals, coke cans, a transmission and some oildrums. I then made a base for it, the tires got "flatspots" thanks to a little heat and I made sinkmarks in the ground of the base so that the Bronco would sink in to the ground.
The base developed, I added a stack of old wheels, a rearaxle of unknown origin and oregano for leaves. The car was subjected to several rounds of washes and powders to give it that faded and abounded look. One of Fujimis mechanics depicts a brave (or maybe just foolish) soul trying to rescue this dead horse.

IMG_0810_resize.JPG

IMG_0787_resize.JPG

IMG_0791_resize.JPG

IMG_0660_resize.JPG

IMG_0658_resize.JPG

IMG_0656_resize.JPG

IMG_0653_resize.JPG

IMG_0652_resize.JPG

IMG_0651_resize.JPG

IMG_0648_resize.JPG

IMG_0374_resize.JPG

IMG_0812_resize.JPG

IMG_0813_resize.JPG

IMG_0842_resize.JPG

IMG_0844_resize.JPG

IMG_0847_resize.JPG

IMG_0848_resize.JPG

IMG_0849_resize.JPG

IMG_0850_resize.JPG

IMG_0851_resize.JPG

IMG_0854_resize.JPG

IMG_0855_resize.JPG

IMG_0856_resize.JPG

IMG_0857_resize.JPG

IMG_0862_resize.JPG

IMG_0864_resize.JPG

IMG_0870_resize.JPG

IMG_0871_resize.JPG

IMG_0874_resize.JPG

IMG_0881_resize.JPG

IMG_0882_resize.JPG

IMG_0887_resize.JPG

IMG_0888_resize.JPG

IMG_0889_resize.JPG

IMG_0890_resize.JPG

Ohh..yes. I want to display this in next weekends Norwegian Challenge show. I want it to go in to the theme class, this year the theme is Wildlife.
But I'm not sure what to call it yet.
Maybe "Flogging a dead horse" or "Beating on a dead horse" or reviving a dead horse". Any ideas and comments are appreciated:)

1 hour ago, Bucky said:

Remarkable work on this scene! Everything looks just right. Nothing out of place. It should do very well at the show!!

Thank you very much:)

1 hour ago, mikemodeler said:

That is one crusty engine! Great job on the weathering and detailing.

Maybe you should call it "Giving life to an old horse"!

Thank you, that is a great suggestion for a name, I like it:D

On 15.9.2018 at 9:05 PM, cobraman said:

Looks good. Poor Bronco.

Thank you, don't you just get that "I want to rescue it" feeling?:D

On 16.9.2018 at 12:19 AM, iamsuperdan said:

That is excellent. Both the build and the pics.

Thank you very much, the outside pictures where shot in kind of hurry as it was quite cold and windy outside. This old Monogram kits are a bit on the simple side but they are also fun to build.

On 16.9.2018 at 4:53 AM, Goose1957 said:

Very nicely done. I really like the interior. I hope that mechanic can get her running, lol. I love vintage SUV's.

Jeff 

Thank you, sure he will get it running. I may need a biohazzard suit before he sits in it though:lol:

On 16.9.2018 at 11:44 AM, vintagercr said:

Great weathering job!

Thank you very much, I'm no expert at it and it is all just an experiment but I tried to make it look rusty where it should be rusty from my own experience with cars.

On 16.9.2018 at 6:14 PM, Gerald Haney said:

Man that is just awesome looking. Great job! All of the names are very fitting.

Thank you, I was also thinking of "buying a dead horse"

On 16.9.2018 at 6:34 PM, espo said:

This looks as if the Bronco has been submerged in a flood and had a tree fall across the hood. The mechanic is probably look for a part to use on a serviceable vehicle. Your build looks like it is beyond saving. Great job. 

I was trying to make it look like a tree had fallen on it and did also have plans to make the tree but did not get a convincing tree out of anything I had. Beyond saving? Maybe so:D

18 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Looks great!! The leaves were the icing on the cake! Great work!!

Thank you, oregano works great for leaves and it makes the model smell of pizza for a couple of weeks.

2 hours ago, Mattblack said:

That looks great! I can SMELL that interior from here!

Yeah, that stink will never go out of it:rolleyes:

54 minutes ago, landman said:

Is it really dead?

Deadish....
Slightly dead...
One of my inspirations for this build was all of the youtube videos of people rescuing vehicles that have sat for a long time. This one I came across a while ago:

And since I'm a fan of 60s Dodge trucks I have looked at these videos MAAANY times:

The can all be rescued as long as the right enthusiast comes along:D

17 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

This is cool,  I can believe the scene

Yeah, you have seen them around haven't you? That old truck or car that sits there behind a fence or some bushes for years on end. Just waiting for someone to come along and save it. Or maybe the owner is one of those guys that refuses to sell it, with a plan on fixing it up for himself.

This is what all Broncos look like in my neck of the woods, haha. Awesome weathering. It looks just like the abandoned cars and trucks I'll be seeing around and about, as the leaves begin to fall this autumn. 

Love the interior details too, particularly the smeared tops on the oil drums; they look just right. Great work!

• 1 month later...