Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mack R no frills REWORKED with chrome tanker

Box build other than shortening the frame.  Decals undecided at this point but leaning towards Ryder ones like from the Cruiseliner.   

Editorial - The quality of this kit leaves much to be desired.  Hoping for a relaxing, simple build, I found it anything but.  Clean up and minor imperfections are one thing.  Warps, voids, and what appears to be worn out molds are another.  Maybe if I was in the mood to spend a month on it and/or known to expect it beforehand, it would have been different.  This thing has more last minute superglue and shims trying to get the fuel tanks, battery box, cab/hood to fit than I care to admit...it shows.  

Yes, it has the potential to be a nice kit....if you don't expect it to fall together.  

Peace.       

Edited by olsbooks

Looks great.
My DM600 was the same way with almost everything you mentioned so i also supected the molds for that to be worn out.
Can only hope that they dont use the same molds for the rereleased DM800 as the have on the 600 (everything but the v8 engine, hood fenders and radiator for the 800 is included in the 600 kit)
If they use the old molds for the DM800 it will probably be easy and fun to build (like mine was as it was an ERTL kit and not a rerelease)
The 600 was just a pain to build with every part in it having some kind of problem or i just got a kit that should have been rejected?

4 hours ago, clayton said:

Sharp! Got a question?the cab looks like it tilt forward/ leaning forward just a tad.

I'm fixing to build one shortly just wondering.

Yup.  I'll blame the fuel tank, battery box, and cab mount arrangement along with hood/cab fit.  If a fraction of a millimeter  off, it snowballs.  Sadly, there is no easy way to tell until it is too late. 

I failed to REALLY scrutinize the cab/hood fit like I should have early on.  The cab lean is an attempt to make the two sort of line up.  It SHOULD be worse but concealed it the best I could.  Heck, most old R Mac's sagged at the cab rear if anything.  In short, the hood/cab fit needs LOTS of attention before doing anything else on this kit. 

That said, if given a do over, I would try to build this thing from the "top down".  Build the cab, insert the interior,  add cab mounts, tanks, battery boxes, etc., then drop the whole thing as an assembly on the frame.  I think it could be done. Then make (if necessary) the frame side portion of the hood hinge pins.  That would be easier.

Engine fit is another one weak point.  I had zero clearance between the rear of the engine and the doghouse thereby having to hollow it out some with the Dremel late in the game. I'll blame this on the front crossmember which holds the front of the engine.  There were no notches/pins as to exactly where it goes in the frame rails.

Mold seams in this kit are the worst I believe I've ever seen.  Most pieces looked like a sandwich with lettuce hanging out between the bun...and its not just flash, they are thick.

I'm not trying to rip this kit to shreds (believe it or not), I'm just saying this kit gives no warnings and has no sense of forgiveness.  As long as you know this bulldog is eager to bite (or kick up a rear leg on you) from the time you open the box and things will go well.

Peace

I like it!! It looks good from where I sit! Nice work!! I like the color!

I like the old AMT kits, but for as long as I can remember they could never be built without some modifications. It does seem to me that the newer releases have more flash than the old ones too.

They still make a nice finished product though and definitely less work than most resin.

1 hour ago, olsbooks said:

Yup.  I'll blame the fuel tank, battery box, and cab mount arrangement along with hood/cab fit.  If a fraction of a millimeter  off, it snowballs.  Sadly, there is no easy way to tell until it is too late. 

I failed to REALLY scrutinize the cab/hood fit like I should have early on.  The cab lean is an attempt to make the two sort of line up.  It SHOULD be worse but concealed it the best I could.  Heck, most old R Mac's sagged at the cab rear if anything.  In short, the hood/cab fit needs LOTS of attention before doing anything else on this kit. 

That said, if given a do over, I would try to build this thing from the "top down".  Build the cab, insert the interior,  add cab mounts, tanks, battery boxes, etc., then drop the whole thing as an assembly on the frame.  I think it could be done. Then make (if necessary) the frame side portion of the hood hinge pins.  That would be easier.

Engine fit is another one weak point.  I had zero clearance between the rear of the engine and the doghouse thereby having to hollow it out some with the Dremel late in the game. I'll blame this on the front crossmember which holds the front of the engine.  There were no notches/pins as to exactly where it goes in the frame rails.

Mold seams in this kit are the worst I believe I've ever seen.  Most pieces looked like a sandwich with lettuce hanging out between the bun...and its not just flash, they are thick.

I'm not trying to rip this kit to shreds (believe it or not), I'm just saying this kit gives no warnings and has no sense of forgiveness.  As long as you know this bulldog is eager to bite (or kick up a rear leg on you) from the time you open the box and things will go well.

Peace

Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for the tips. I have the DM600 kit to build and I would like to add an R kit to the list to buy also. These will be my first big rigs that I have tried to build, so I'll take the extra time and try all the tips and tricks given. Thank you.

Jeff 

BTW, yours looks very nice. I like the color choices.

Jeff 

Edited by Goose1957
Add comments

Thanks for the kind words.  Reworked/rebuilt to rectify the problem.  Good thing I use liquid glue and could basically pop it apart.  Cab mounts scrapped and engine shoved forward.  Trailer is a Lindberg.  Nice trailer. Chrome quality is excellent.  Modified it.  No frame, fenders are from "snap" KW W900's and added tool boxes.  Much better.  Tried to turn a lemon into lemonade.  Might try to make some decals since it is the lemon juice hauler. Peace

Edited by olsbooks

Nice work on both! I haven't built one of those AMT R models for about 25 years and had forgotten about all of the problems getting the cab to sit right. I may have to try and score one of those Lindberg chrome tankers too, it looks like a lot nicer kit than I thought it would.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think it should be pointed out that all of the AMT, MPC tooled Mack kits( ERTL kits are old MPC tooling) are getting up in age . Actually almost all truck kits are up there so one should expect a fair amount of cleanup in the building process but by and large excellent looking models are easily attained! Such as this Mack / tanker combo , great looking build!!

Thank you for the kind words. 

To PettyKW43,  I suppose my biggest gripe with all these old reissue kits is that it appears very little has been done to ensure the quality is at least that of when initially released.  For the price, the volume they sell, and having the groundwork already donee (especially when compared to many newer/smaller companies churning out premium quality kits for very few $ more), and since these old kits are now made in China, I expect either higher quality or a lower price.  Both would be nice but one or the other would suffice.  Just my opinion and the proverbial catch 22 situation I suppose.  No...its the classic case of supply and demand.

Peace.

Edited by olsbooks