Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 29 Ford Old School Racer Build 10/19 Done

Johnt671

I started on this kit. It's the 29 Ford roadster / Ala Cart kit. It's a junkyard kit I won on E-Bay. Both cars need a lot of work but it should be a fun rescue. I included a shot of the interior because it's in rough shape. The first builder used some yellowish thick glue and then put red and white striped cloth over the glue. What a mess.

20180831_131032.jpg

20180831_131859.jpg

20180915_141057.jpg

20180915_141247.jpg

Edited by Johnt671

13 hours ago, espo said:

I will enjoy watching this project. The interior could be covered with a Mexican Blanket and might look perfect depending on how nice you're building the rest of the model. I love the TROG cars. 

That's a great idea. Anyone know of a source for either decals or material?

I don't mean to ruffle any feathers here, but I have not seen many Mexi blankets on the cars that participate at T.R.O.G. They are pretty strict regarding what you can run on the beach. A more authentic option would be to cut the seat away from the floor and doors and clean them up as separate units. More work, but glue bombs usually require alot of TLC. 

1 hour ago, modelfink said:

I don't mean to ruffle any feathers here, but I have not seen many Mexi blankets on the cars that participate at T.R.O.G. They are pretty strict regarding what you can run on the beach. A more authentic option would be to cut the seat away from the floor and doors and clean them up as separate units. More work, but glue bombs usually require alot of TLC. 

No problem for me. I've been able to clean it up pretty good, and I'm in the process of spraying a few coats of filler primer on it and sanding it, so it's much better than it was.

An alternative to cutting up the interior, but not using the mexican blanket idea would be to replicate the material using napkins. The ones from taco bell have a pleasing color that should work along with this build,

100 0205

That's what i used on this old T seat many years ago. I used thinned white glue. I applied it to the seat, then applied the napkin, let the glue soak in, and then gently applied more glue. Once dry you can paint and weather, or leave it in the natural color.

1 hour ago, Mr. Metallic said:

An alternative to cutting up the interior, but not using the mexican blanket idea would be to replicate the material using napkins. The ones from taco bell have a pleasing color that should work along with this build,

100 0205

That's what i used on this old T seat many years ago. I used thinned white glue. I applied it to the seat, then applied the napkin, let the glue soak in, and then gently applied more glue. Once dry you can paint and weather, or leave it in the natural color. Love the pallet floor, great work! I also have some wood so maybe I can can do a wood floor.

Great idea. I did something similar a couple of years ago and then forgot about it. I used the boxed paper hand towel to make a bed cover for a pick up I was doing. I like the Taco Bell idea also because I like the Bell. Guess where I'm going to lunch tomorrow.

The tires were missing from the kit so thanks to member Modbldr for a trade for them. The got here today and I got them painted just before the rain came down.

The interior looks better now.

20180917_162640-1.jpg

20180917_134401.jpg

Edited by Johnt671

48 minutes ago, Johnt671 said:

20180917_134401.jpg

I don't mean to be a jerk here, but you did call this a TRoG style build. I've looked at a lot of TRoG photos researching my own builds, and I don't recall seeing one in modern flakes or pearls. You might consider rethinking your paint choice if you want to do something traditional. 

It would seem that my suggestion of a Mexican Blanket may not be the best idea in this case. Reading the suggestions of others has shown far better ideas, and opened my eyes to some excellent interior alternatives. 

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:10 AM, Johnt671 said:

That's a great idea. Anyone know of a source for either decals or material?

I have used decals from Scale Motor Sport, their part #SKU: 1981. 

8 minutes ago, espo said:

It would seem that my suggestion of a Mexican Blanket may not be the best idea in this case. Reading the suggestions of others has shown far better ideas, and opened my eyes to some excellent interior alternatives. 

I have used decals from Scale Motor Sport, their part #SKU: 1981. 

Thanks. I'll take a look at them.

I took TROG out of the title.

Since I'm not doing a TRoG car anymore I'm going to save the flat four. I have a 25 Ford that I can start from scratch to do that build so it will be more accurate.

Some work done. Found some wood to cover the bad floor in the interior, and the frame is done. The bodys been soaking in brake fluid for four days and it's not showing any sign of removing the old school black paint that was brushed on without primer. also a close up of the wheels

20180917_173542.jpg

20180918_140001.jpg

20180918_101314.jpg

20180917_171135.jpg

Edited by Johnt671

On 9/20/2018 at 1:20 PM, Mr. Metallic said:

I've never had any success removing paint with brake fluid. Try to find some Castrol Super Clean degreaser.

On 9/20/2018 at 7:41 PM, Deuces said:

The auto parts store carry it by the gallon.... Can also be found at your local supermarket....

The brake fluid finally made a dent in the paint. I was able to scrap a lot off with my thumbnail, But it took five days to get that far. I'm gong to the auto parts tomorrow or Monday for some parts for my Fiero so I'll find the Castrol stuff then.

20180920_185536.jpg

I got most of the paint off the body. Since we're back to rain over the next few days I'll have time to do a little sanding on it. The interior is almost done. For some reason the seat cover trick didn't work out but when I peeled the cover off it left some texture on the seat that looks OK.

20180924_192804.jpg

20180924_192818.jpg

20180925_111808.jpg

20180925_112032.jpg