Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercedes 450sl restore

montelsc

Aha, you are the one who ended up with this glue bomb I sold for cheap on ebay. Monogram stock version kit.

Glad to know it went to an appreciative home. I originally got it for about equally cheap, and also got a Tamiya DTM "Tabac Original" Mercedes partial build for a smokin' low price around the same time, with evil intent on combining the two. Then I got a more evil idea to use a different body altogether, however, it'll be a project a lot further down the road.

19 minutes ago, montelsc said:

Guess it's a 75 then

No. The Mercedes R107, which is the platform ALL the 450SL- 560SL cars were built on from 1971-1989, had essentially the same headlights and bumpers through all the years of production (though the air dam under the front bumper, wheels, and some trim and engines varied through the years).

YOURS can be any EUROPEAN spec car from 1971-1989.

Round headlights and heavy crash bumpers were on the USA spec cars.   220px-Mercedes_benz_1983_380sl_us.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Before I peeked into this thread I didn't even know this model existed.  But now I wanted one!  So I ended up getting an unbuilt kit on eBay, and looking on Google for reference photos I found an older thread here showing another built of this kit:

Atmobil made some interesting modifications to his kit. Between yours and his writeup, I'm learning many useful building hints and modifications.  One think that bugs me about yours is the size of the door mirrors. But I suspect that when the model is seen in-person, it looks ok.  My plan is to scratchbuild the mirrors from some styrene and putty, make master pattern out of those, and then cast them in resin.  I also have couple of ESCI Mercedes 500SLC kits which also have no door mirrors.

Edited by peteski