Model Cars Magazine Forum

A different approach to getting a new job

youpey

Yesterday i went to 5 guys hamburger place for dinner. i always sit at the same table near the counter. Last night a lady came in and went up to the counter and had this exchange.

Lady: I am looking for the manager
Boss: I am the boss, how can i help you
Lady: I would like to speak to someone about a job
Boss: You would need to fill out an application online. I can give you link.
Lady: I already filled it out online, but nobody has called me back, i want to speak to someone about it to see why I havent been called yet
Boss: Unfortunately that is not handled here. 
Lady: (i didnt hear what she said next)
Boss: You dont need to give me an attitude, I can't help you, its corporate. 
Lady: (Raising voice) I am not giving you an attitude. How did you get this job, did they pull you out of a nursing home.
Boss: (Walks away)
Lady: (Yellling) You shouldnt work here you old <expletive> . How did you get this job
Boss: Let me get your name, Can you tell me your name.

<more expletives from the lady>

Lady leaves. 

Edited by youpey

And she's still trying to figure out why no will hire her. As for Five Guys, we have one a couple of miles down the road, they have great Burgers and Fry's. If you haven't tried them you owe it to yourself, just go hungry cuss they aren't bashful about the servings.    

The funny thing about online applications is that you never know what corporate does with them!

When we first moved to PA my wife needed a job.  I had networked with people in two companies and said she'd have to "officially" apply online.  These guys already had her paper resume in hand and were interested. Both of these guys were screaming for help!

The online application never got to them. They even inquired through corporate who said they had no such application.   I guess these companies didn't want a reliable woman in her 50s!

Edited by Tom Geiger

10 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

The online application never got to them. They even inquired through corporate who said they had no such application.   I guess these companies didn't want a reliable woman in her 50s!

Perhaps they didn't want someone over a certain age.  I'll be looking for a position early next year myself, and will probably use an agency that will assist me with social media that I don't presently use.  The HR people at my present employer tell me that some employers deliberately use certain procedures for applying for a position, in order to eliminate most people over a certain age who tend not to use certain websites or are not the most savvy about them.  Age discrimination has gone high-tech... 

Hiring is one of those love/hate parts of my job.

I'm not a huge fan of how time consuming it can be, but htat's just a neccessity of the job. Have to make sure I'm hiring the right person.

The amusing part is when I start going through and shortlisting resumes. I've had resumes that are literally less than 10 words. Name, phone number, and then "Work History - employed." And that's it.  

Had another with something odd. I've seen many resumes that have a little thumbnail headshot next to the person's name. No problem. Received one, and the first page was a full sized 8X10 headshot. 

I'm starting the process again now, as I need to hire another account manager. Looking forward to some humour.

:)

13 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

The funny thing about online applications is that you never know what corporate does with them!

When we first moved to PA my wife needed a job.  I had networked with people in two companies and said she'd have to "officially" apply online.  These guys already had her paper resume in hand and were interested. Both of these guys were screaming for help!

My wife has experienced the exact same problem and we haven't even moved. The problem as we have seen is the Human Resources  Departments. These departments are filled with young resent collage grads with little or no understanding of what the job entails that they are supposed to find someone to fill. They will ask for and expect so many years of experience and education levels but if the applicant fulfills that requirement then they are to old in the Resources Departments mind. They will offer interviews to much younger inexperienced applicants, much like themselves, since they can't seem to relate to anyone that is qualified.  In a couple of cases my wife had actually met her prospective supervisor at association meetings and they had asked for and gotten her resume. They said they wanted her but she had to go thru the Human Resources Department. When the supervisor asked the Resources Department later why my wife had not been called in for an interview they were told she didn't qualify. My wife is a licensed CPA who graduated at the top of her class at the University of California at Sacramento. She was awarded a Yellow Sash that indicates she graduated in the top 10% nationally. She sat for the test and passed all four parts at once with no "Life Lines" as they do now. And somehow she didn't qualify ? The person that would have been her supervisor has told her the person they hired is almost untrainable and would make a good entry level accountant let alone an assistant to the CFO and his eventual replacement. Don't think for a minute that they didn't look at her age either, that is a very big problem that isn't going away until companies start getting serious about who is doing their hiring.          

6 hours ago, Mark said:

Perhaps they didn't want someone over a certain age.  I'll be looking for a position early next year myself, and will probably use an agency that will assist me with social media that I don't presently use.  The HR people at my present employer tell me that some employers deliberately use certain procedures for applying for a position, in order to eliminate most people over a certain age who tend not to use certain websites or are not the most savvy about them.  Age discrimination has gone high-tech... 

The sad part is that by hiring a person who is say, 50 years old or so, is that a company looks at them and thinks "They will be a burden to our company as they tend to have medical issues and will miss work" but think that a 30 year old is a perfect hire because they are young and healthy. The reality as I have seen it is that a 30 year old's work ethic is not nearly as strong as the older person. Add in that the younger person will likely move on to another job within 5 years compared to the older person working until retirement and the company finds themselves training another person.

I was hired last year to work for a company and so were two other gentlemen. We are in our late 40's to early 50's and the management wanted experienced guys who were willing and able to travel. They had had a younger guy who got tired of traveling and complained about how it ruined his love life and ability to have fun. I was glad to take his spot and have found the job to be rewarding in the sense that I have a secure position with great benefits and salary. I guess everything is in perspective- I already have a house, a spouse and family while the younger guy I replaced didn't and he saw that achieving that would be near impossible while on the road.

Yes, companies will employ questionable tactics to sift through resumes and discriminate against applicants. Sad that some companies don't see the short-sightedness of their actions and the actual costs.

I sure hope that lady contacts 5 Guys headquarters to see why they didn't hire her, I don't think she is capable of figuring it out herself!