Model Cars Magazine Forum

Giant spider web in Greece

NYLIBUD

It's creepy all the same. That happened in Texas a few years ago. Turned out the problem there was an overabundance of some type of small flies the spiders liked really well. What had the experts all confused for a while was that it wasn't just one kind of spider. 17 or so different kinds all spun webs in the same area. And just like this case, when the flies were are thinned out and gone, the spiders left and the webs eventually just blew away.

It would still scare the krap out of the average guy. That's a whole lot of web.

In Florida we have these rather large golden silk orb-weaver spiders, commonly called banana spiders. I've seen them cover an area over some stagnant water in huge web colonies of 10-20 spiders, covering 20 feet. They just set up in the right spot and feast on the mosquitos. Quite industrious. They get a bad rap unfortunately. Although large and scary looking they are pretty harmless. Unless you are a bug.

Image result for golden orb spider

Edited by Jantrix

I used to do a little mountain biking. No, I have done the Motorcycle thing also, this is bicycling. This would entail ridding thru the woods on very narrow dirt trails. We used to call the lead rider "spider man" for a reason. Think about peddling as hard as you can thru the woods and running thru a giant spider web across the trail. I always tried to be anything but first in line.       

Easy guys, spiders DO serve a purpose. Imagine the infestation we'd have if they didn't control all the other bug population!

Still, I wouldn't dare walk through that mess, though. Yuck!

Not a spider lover, just a pest hater?

Edited by Oldcarfan27

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2018 at 7:03 AM, espo said:

I used to do a little mountain biking. ... This would entail ridding thru the woods on very narrow dirt trails. We used to call the lead rider "spider man" for a reason. Think about peddling as hard as you can thru the woods and running thru a giant spider web across the trail. I always tried to be anything but first in line.       

I used to shred, Moab Utah is my favorite place ever.  I've never had to deal with this, thanks for the insight. :lol:

Visited a friend in LA, they had a broomstick by the door, for first time out every morning they would need to clear a path to the car.  My dad was bit on the top of his foot by a Brown Recluse just before a trip, a couple days later we had to rush back to the hospital.  Yea, I don't like spiders either.

Don't come to my house. We have horses nearby, and consequently lots of flying insects. Tarantulas are also indigenous.  We get lots of spiders. I leave the hunting spiders alone, even if they're in the house. They're eliminating annoying pests. I just wish they had a bigger appetite for ants.* Various orb weavers in the back yard, and lots of funnel webs. 

My son comes home from 6th grade science class, and asks if he can have a tarantula for a pet. The science teacher's has had babies. Indulgent  parent that I am, I said yes. That spider lasted 10 years before dying of old age. 

* Southern California is one large, Argentine ant colony.