Model Cars Magazine Forum

Honest opinion on my gangreen nova

mschlem66n

When I initially started my nova 3+ yrs ago I started as a mostly box stock build. I didn't open the trunk or doors. It's painted,body is done.

My question is, would you use the pro street chassis,or would you build a tube chassis with the details ....

More or less,this is why it's a on again,off again build for me.....

Thank you in advance for any and all input.

Mark

FB_IMG_1512517653750.jpg

I'm liking it as it is, assuming you used the Pro Street chassis so far.

But then again I am not one of those very talented builders capable of building my own tube chassis...

When I see someone else pull that of, I am really impressed becaused of the added detail Like you said.

So, if you are capable of building your own chassis, I'd say go for it. 

Worst case scenario that doesn't wordk out and you can use a kit chassis after all.

13 hours ago, mschlem66n said:

When I initially started my nova 3+ yrs ago I started as a mostly box stock build. I didn't open the trunk or doors. It's painted,body is done.

My question is, would you use the pro street chassis,or would you build a tube chassis with the details ....

More or less,this is why it's a on again,off again build for me.....

Mark first off, it's a great looking model.

Second. Ease off a bit and come up with a plan for each model. This was a hard won realization for me about ten years ago. They can't all be super-detailed-scratchbuilt everything or else it would take forever to build each and every kit. And for me that was a huge source of stress. Finally I realized that I needed to make a plan for each kit. Make the plan acording to each kit's strengths or the availability of aftermarket parts. AND THEN STICK TO IT. This sounds like your issue. You are looking at this thinking what else you could do/could have done. Stick to the plan. For every detailed, modded, scratchbuilt model on my bench, I have three kit's that will be built very simply. That will ensure models are being completed, while work continues on the big project. Without the stress.

I'll step off my soap box and answer your question now. The body is painted and assembled. Scratchbuilding a chassis requires an incredible amount of test fitting. Not a good idea in my opinion, on an already painted and built body. Always best to do this before you paint the body. The Nova's kit chassis is pretty good. Nothing to be ashamed of. Stick to your plan.

Edited by Jantrix

Thank you for your opinions :)

I started this build as a club project. I originally planned on a clean,semi- box stock build.

One of my favorite sayings is "Keep it simple stupid",lol...

I'll get back to my original plan on this and get it done.

Thank you again for the comments.Very much appreciated and helpful :):)

Mark