Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sunset - the night is coming!

Faust

10 hours ago, Casey said:

2166686f-09d6-43fe-b715-7af2e627c990.jpg

Huh, never saw that CJ-7 before, bet Round 2 could sell some of those if they repopped them.  Think that might be another that's never been reissued?

I guess AMT made more of those Big Scale Snap Fits than I remembered.

Edited by Robberbaron

That AMT-top would make a great kit too. It uses the Snap Jeep CJ chassis, wheels and axles. Round2 could get two kits out of the deal for very little extra work.

Throw in a sprue full of Machine Guns and Gas Can and you have a complete Mad Max style kit, that would sell bunches.

7 hours ago, alexis said:

That AMT-top would make a great kit too. It uses the Snap Jeep CJ chassis, wheels and axles. Round2 could get two kits out of the deal for very little extra work.

Throw in a sprue full of Machine Guns and Gas Can and you have a complete Mad Max style kit, that would sell bunches.

IMG 2579

I bought this one for $5 and later on saw another one cheap so I own two of them.  This one was bought as you see it, some kid had snapped it together and put it back in the box.  I can swear that there was an AMC / Jeep design exercise like this, but haven't been able to find any evidence of such.

IMG 2587

Chassis isn't all bad. Some decent detail.  It's got a different wheel base than a Jeep so it's not a plop down fit.

IMG 2582

One design flaw was no rear vision. The slot is where the spare tire stood up.

IMG 2586

The first (and only) thing I did to this kit was to fix that....   I'm thinking that the kit might be better with that entire rear panel missing.

IMG 2585

Engine bay.... hey is that a hemi! ?   The corresponding bottom detail is in the chassis. 

IMG 2584

Interior is heavy handed, and had no interior side detail.  

End analysis?  If you're into this body, you should replace everything else.

• 8 months later...

I have never seen that AMT-top before. 

That.... that is fabulous! It's like the forerunner of the Suzuki X-90! But, it's so dorky, and ugly, and tasteless... it is PERFECT!!!

I now have a new grail kit to add to my list. 

Too bad the kit is so crappy, but man, what a great idea! (You can imagine me drooling over it...)

On 9/27/2019 at 6:43 PM, Tom Geiger said:

IMG 2579

I bought this one for $5 and later on saw another one cheap so I own two of them.  This one was bought as you see it, some kid had snapped it together and put it back in the box.  I can swear that there was an AMC / Jeep design exercise like this, but haven't been able to find any evidence of such.

IMG 2587

Chassis isn't all bad. Some decent detail.  It's got a different wheel base than a Jeep so it's not a plop down fit.

IMG 2582

IMG 2586

The first (and only) thing I did to this kit was to fix that....   I'm thinking that the kit might be better with that entire rear panel missing.

IMG 2585

Engine bay.... hey is that a hemi! ?   The corresponding bottom detail is in the chassis. 

IMG 2584

That's the chassis from the AMT Jeep snap kit . The AMT-Top was built for AMT I can't find the proof but I researched it when I discovered this kit and that's what I recall 

Back to the sunset topic, you can throw a dart at any MPC catalog from '78 though '84 and be guaranteed to hit at least one sunset-striped vehicle on a page, and sometimes, every vehicle on that page:

MPC1982Catalog6-vi.jpg

Edited by Casey

22 hours ago, Casey said:

Back to the sunset topic, you can throw a dart at any MPC catalog from '78 though '84 and be guaranteed to hit at least one sunset-striped vehicle on a page, and sometimes, every vehicle on that page:

MPC1982Catalog6-vi.jpg

Man, they ought to bring one or two of those back. Round 2 has the Mongoose License, I wonder if they could do a McEwen English Leather Corvette from one of those? And perhaps a "name" Omni?  

I wonder what's up with those Omni bodies though. I don't remember the kit bodies looking quite like that... 

• 1 year later...
On 9/27/2019 at 7:43 PM, Tom Geiger said:

IMG 2579

IMG 2587

IMG 2582

IMG 2586

IMG 2585

IMG 2584

I'm building one... just like you said, Replace everything... Puede ser una imagen de coche

• 6 months later...