Model Cars Magazine Forum

1928 Stutz Black Hawk LSR

Nacho Z

Now that I have the Fujimi Ferrari F430 done, I was trying to decide what to build next.  The F430 was box stock but I spent a good amount of time on it as I want to enter it in the Box Stock class at model contests.  So, what's next?  Something simple?  A full blown, detailed build?  After seeing Droogie's 1:43 Miller 91 model, I remembered my Etzel's Speed Classics / American Racing Miniatures Frank Lockhart's 1928 LSR Stutz Black Hawk kit.  I have never built or even used anything made of out resin.  Nor have I really messed with white metal.  The Stutz Black Hawk kit is made of just resin and white metal parts.  In my opinion, parts wise, it is a very simple kit.  Assembly may be another thing altogether.  I have checked out various message boards and YouTube videos on preparing and building resin kits.  I think I can do this!  I will try to do regular updates and as always, explain why I do what I did, whether right or wrong.  I am open to suggestions and comments, good or bad.

Here are pictures of the kit and contents.

I have no idea why I get the dreaded 404 error every doggone time I try to add pics to this post.  Right below, I added the pictures without any problem whatsoever.  Grrrrr.

Edited by Nacho Z
Can't load pics to this post

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:53 PM, Dann Tier said:

WOW!!, this looks pretty neat!!!, i'll be following along!!

Thanks Dann!  It is a pretty simple kit but such a unique and important car.  It will be my first resin kit, so we'll see how it goes.  It is beautifully casted, no problems that I can find.

I know this is not much of an update.  I researched what to do to prepare the resin before you begin work, paint, etc.  And of course, there are many different opinions!  I thought I would play it safe and incorporate the two most prevalent opinions and/or suggestions.

1. I soaked the parts in Westley's, now Black Magic's, Bleche-Wite and then scrubbed them with an old toothbrush.  I rinsed them off and then...
  2. I soaked them in soapy water for several hours and then scrubbed them again.
Edited by Nacho Z
Can't load pics to this post

9 hours ago, Nacho Z said:

Thanks Dann!  It is a pretty simple kit but such a unique and important car.  It will be my first resin kit, so we'll see how it goes.  It is beautifully casted, no problems that I can find.

I know this is not much of an update.  I researched what to do to prepare the resin before you begin work, paint, etc.  And of course, there are many different opinions!  I thought I would play it safe and incorporate the two most prevalent opinions and/or suggestions.

1. I soaked the parts in Westley's, now Black Magic's, Bleche-Wite and then scrubbed them with an old toothbrush.  I rinsed them off and then...
  2. I soaked them in soapy water for several hours and then scrubbed them again.

I have a Smer kit of a Alfa Romeo that is pretty basic too, that I will do some time. Basic kits can still become works of art!....cant wait to see more, bud!!

11 hours ago, Rider said:

This looks very cool, I really like it.  After reading this article in the link below I am now really interested in seeing this one built up. Good luck John. 

https://oldmachinepress.com/2013/02/23/lockhart-stutz-black-hawk-lsr-car/

Oh man, Lloyd, you're awesome!  Yup, I had ran across this in my searches.  Great stuff.  I ran across an article on Hemmings.com.  It is about a replica.  It had a picture of the very spartan dash.  So far, that is the only picture of the dash I have found.  I know it is not the original but I am hoping it is very close if not an exact copy.

10 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

I have a Smer kit of a Alfa Romeo that is pretty basic too, that I will do some time. Basic kits can still become works of art!....cant wait to see more, bud!!

I have 2, 1 has been started.

The other will have to wait until you start, so I can copy what you do!

If you are looking for a photo of the 1:1 give the Amelia Island Concours site a look as they tend to get some rare racers there, especially because Concours Director Bill Warner is really into vintage racing. Just a hunch that if the real car, or an accurate recreation were to surface, that's where it would be. I will follow this one with great interest. 

7 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Unfortunately, the original was destroyed in the crash that killed Frank Lockhart, and most of it lost.  The one that exists today is a replica.

And, it doesn't have the orginal "U-16 183cid Miller engine that powered the actual Blackhawk.  The engine still exists,  having wound up in the hands of Speedway carbuilder Alden Sampson, who installed in a newly-built 2-seat race car in the mid-1930's.  That car still exists, restored, with the U-16 (which was made by joining two Miller 91.5 cid supercharged straight 8's in a "U-shaped" layout, each crankshaft geared to a center shaft--and reputedly was capable of some 550hp (phenomenal for any such engine in the 30's!).

Art

10 hours ago, Eric Macleod said:

If you are looking for a photo of the 1:1 give the Amelia Island Concours site a look as they tend to get some rare racers there, especially because Concours Director Bill Warner is really into vintage racing. Just a hunch that if the real car, or an accurate recreation were to surface, that's where it would be. I will follow this one with great interest. 

3 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Unfortunately, the original was destroyed in the crash that killed Frank Lockhart, and most of it lost.  The one that exists today is a replica.

3 hours ago, Art Anderson said:

And, it doesn't have the orginal "U-16 183cid Miller engine that powered the actual Blackhawk.  The engine still exists,  having wound up in the hands of Speedway carbuilder Alden Sampson, who installed in a newly-built 2-seat race car in the mid-1930's.  That car still exists, restored, with the U-16 (which was made by joining two Miller 91.5 cid supercharged straight 8's in a "U-shaped" layout, each crankshaft geared to a center shaft--and reputedly was capable of some 550hp (phenomenal for any such engine in the 30's!).

Art

This is what is so great about MCM forum!!  There is so much knowledge and talent out there.  It seems to me that everyone is more than happy to share that knowledge and talent!  I have read and learned a lot about Frank Lockhart and this car.  For the modeler who is not building this car, he/she can learn so much by just viewing this thread.  Awesome!

And for the guys who are going to follow this build, please realize that I'm just a hack who is going to give this model a go.  Don't get your hopes up that you will learn anything from me.  You may learn what not to do!...lol.  I do hope it will turn out to be a presentable model. 

Don't worry about who gets to be in the "real modeler" club.  I've done some resin figure kits, but no resin car kit, and I have a resin plan kit I've yet to summon up the nerve to tackle, so I'll following along to see what you have to deal with.

Another fun fact:  Gordon Buehrig was working at Stutz at the time the Black Hawk Special was being built, and it was a big influence on the design of the Cord 810.

Edited by Richard Bartrop

11 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Don't worry about who gets to be in the "real modeler" club.  I've done some resin figure kits, but no resin car kit, and I have a resin plan kit I've yet to summon up the nerve to tackle, so I'll following along to see what you have to deal with.

Another fun fact:  Gordon Buehrig was working at Stutz at the time the Black Hawk Special was being built, and it was a big influence on the design of the Cord 810.

Thanks, Richard!

I figured I will document the heck out of this build.  It will keep me motivated and it may help someone along the way.  It is such a simple kit that there shouldn't be too many updates.

I'm starting with the wheels and tires.  In pictures I've found and on the finished model, I think you can only see the tires.  My initial concern is to remove the casting flash and to make sure all four tires are the same height when finished.  To try my best to get the four tires' gluing surface flat and square, I sanded them on a piece of sandpaper laying flat on my bench.  Sanding sticks will "curve" or round the edges, no matter how hard you try not to.