Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1/25 '31 Ford Woody

Hoffman

Thank you, Gentlemen!! You made my day!

This was a long term project. How long? Well, I got the idea when I was a kid in 1975. The year before, Revell had re-released their '31 Ford Model A station wagon as the "Woodstock" kit. I loved that kit, but it's pretty fussy, fragile, difficult to build it and have it come out looking as nice as the model on the box. I was 10 years old at the time. I started it but never finished it. In '75 Revell released an all-new kit of Lil' John Buttera's ground breaking '26 T street rod. That's an awesome car and a pretty good model to this day. My idea as a kid was simply to combine the best elements of the T street rod with the stock A Woody. Simple, right? 

Fast forward to 2015, me in my 50's now, and I'm finally feeling up to the challenge of this "simple" exercise. 

Revell H1275-200 Woody.JPG

Woodstock and Buttera.jpg

12_74_Hot_Rod.jpg

1975 Revell.jpg

Lil.jpg

In terms of style, color combination and so forth, I still love the '70's resto-rod look of chrome Borrani wire wheels with big and little tires, mixed with stock bodies on a nice rake and a modern V-8 under the hood. However, as I've gotten older, I've developed a fondness for perfectly restored classics from the 30's, and sports cars from the 50's and 60's. So, you'll notice this woody has something of a classic English sports car flavor to it. The headlights are '32 Ford from the older Monogram 1/24 roadster, but I added amber bulbs inside and a black and chrome dot in the center, mimicking Marchal lamps, or PL700's. The curved, ramp-like sheet metal added below the grille shell is like a '30 Chevrolet, but also an MG TC. Same for the vertical chrome split in front of the radiator. The black painted radiator inside the shell isn't the standard Model A mesh pattern either. The vertical ribs are meant to look  more like an MG. And finally the colors; my inspiration here was a rare Maybach at the Nethercutt museum in Sylmar. I noticed the warm tan color is a close match for the color of maple wood. On a stock Ford Woody, the sheet metal color is very different from the wood, in a basic tan shade. My idea was to have the sheet metal on the cowl and hood be much closer to the wood color, but not an exact match, as would be the case on a full size car. Similar to the Maybach, I really liked the green fenders and top and substituted those colors on the model in place of the standard Ford Model A black. For contrast, I added the lighter shade of green on the seat inserts, suspension, and drivetrain. 

Maybach_s2b.jpg

TC7.jpg

29 minutes ago, Draggon said:

That's pretty amazing. Love the mix of traditional and contemporary styles. :D Great use of the Buttera kit parts. Are those the 2-piece tires that usually wont glue? 

Thank you, Draggon! Yeah, those tires really don't want to stay together. The solution I came up with is kind of funny. Look at the end of a new garden hose before you screw it onto the hose bib. There's a black rubber washer in there. They sell replacements at Home Depot. Those things turned out to have just the right width, ID and OD to pop inside the Buttera tires and do a good job of holding them together and the wheel inside. By the way, the rims are from the current Revell '32 sedan with photo etched spokes added from Herb Deeks. The hubs are brass brads from the craft store. The drums you see from behind the spokes are Monogram 1/24th '32 roadster drum/backing plates. 

Whoa, impressive. I was trying to figure out why it didn't look quite like the Monogram or AMT kits, and then I saw the Buttera suspension, ok it's heavily modified...but I was not expecting to see the brass work! Glad you tackled the project and finally made the idea real :) 

Wow. It's deceptive how much work is actually present in this buildup. Looking at the first few pics, you don't realize all that's going on. The firewall and frame that are molded around the engine and suspension components, and then the hinging of the doors. Not to mention the scratchbuilding and integration of the Jag suspension. Very nicely done, in such a subtle package.