Model Cars Magazine Forum

361 V8 in Dodge L-700 kit: Same as car 361?

I've noticed some Lindberg Dodge L-700 kits being parted out on eBay; the engine has been referred to as a "361 V8". Is this the same engine as the 361 that was in the early Sixties Mopar passenger cars, and if so, is the IMC unit an accurate representation? I'd like to see if I can use it for the Revell '62 Chrysler Newport.

Thanks for your help!

I think that in the 1:1 world that the 361 - 383 - 426 wedge & the 440 are based on the same basic block design and from the outside would be hard to tell apart from one another except for say manifolds and paint colors. You might try to find the most visually accurate looking Mopar engine and then paint it the correct color for the 361 in your Newport. 

12 hours ago, espo said:

I think that in the 1:1 world that the 361 - 383 - 426 wedge & the 440 are based on the same basic block design and from the outside would be hard to tell apart from one another except for say manifolds and paint colors. You might try to find the most visually accurate looking Mopar engine and then paint it the correct color for the 361 in your Newport. 

The B-series Chrysler big block has a slightly lower deck height than the later RB-series V8s, but the difference is hard to notice in scale, and that's if all of the block dimensions are accurate. The Wikipedia page does a good job of explaining the differences: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_B_engine#361

So yes, the IMC/Lindberg Dodge L-700's basic 361 V8 is the same externally as used in cars, but the details will be slightly different.

L-700 361:

photo_4-vi.jpg

'62 Newport 361:

1964Chrysler_04_1200.jpg

Edited by Casey
better image of stock/non-restored engine

49 minutes ago, Deuces said:

So, that ^^^^^ 2x4 intake will fit a 383/400 B motor????

In the real world...

The 350 ('58 only), 361, 383 and 400 are B motors, or low deck big blocks. They have the same outside dimensions and parts interchange. Water pumps, exhaust, intakes...all the same

The 383 ('59 & '60), 413, 426 wedge, 440 are all RB motors, or tall deck big blocks. They have the taller deck height to accommodate the longer stroke. Therefore, they are slightly wider and the intakes on these motors do NOT interchange with the B motors. 

In the model world...

Because the deck height difference on the real engines is only about 3/4", less than 1mm in 1/25 scale, it won't be obvious, and scaling discrepancies from kit manufacturer to kit manufacturer will likely be greater than the difference in the real engines (if scaled absolutely correctly). So, with a little work (depending on which B or RB engine your kit represents, everything should fit everything.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

47 minutes ago, Deuces said:

So, that ^^^^^ 2x4 intake will fit a 383/400 B motor????

I edited the image, as I wasn't sure that engine block/heads/valve covers were original to the car, which is what I believe Chris is aiming for on his model.

If I recall from my build a few years ago, the water pump on the L700 engine is truck-specific, and of course, the bell housing and transmission are different.

I added some HP exhaust manifolds and a round Road Runner-style air breather to mine, so the basic engine dimensions are close enough to  get away with.

It's a lump of an engine, though. Not much detail there...

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Chris, you may want to loo into the engine found in the AMT "Christine" '58 Plymouth Belvedere, to, as it appear to be an early B-series V8:

DSCF2619_zpsa8d74fef.jpg

Photo020.jpg

B and RB series Mopar engines all had their distributors in the front, angled off to the right. While those pictured valve covers look to be B/RB style, no one seems to really know what engine is in the Christine kit... And that intake is most definitely NOT a big block intake.

Edited by restoman

5 hours ago, restoman said:

B and RB series Mopar engines all had their distributors in the front, angled off to the right. While those pictured valve covers look to be B/RB style, no one seems to really know what engine is in the Christine kit... And that intake is most definitely NOT a big block intake.

I should have been more specific in suggesting this engine might be better starting point for an early B-series V8, at least compare to the L-700's V8. I think it was the '58 Fury review topic which covered the shortcomings regarding this particular engine, so I wouldn't suggest Chris use it straight out of the kit. I assumed he would be doing some kitbashing to get closer to the actual 361 V8 he needs, and I thought the trans from the '58 Fury could be used, too, but it looks like that trans ended production in '61.