Model Cars Magazine Forum

L700 modified dragster transport

Picked up one of the Lindberg L700 Dodge's the other day. 

I'm toying with the idea of adding a tandem rear and (if possible) want to shoehorn a V8 diesel in it.  If I read it right (debatable) a 555 Cummins along with tandem drive could be ordered from the factory.  Regardless, has anyone ever tried dropping a diesel engine of any type in one of these?

I'm thinking something like this.  No plans to really start on it until the 1/16 Bison is finished.

Peace

Edited by olsbooks

Wow, I am usually in the car section and decided to look here because I have an L700 on the bench.... Low and behold, the first topic is L700.

This is what I can say thus-far. Slow and steady with the doors, and paint before they are on. I had them on and working and broke them painting.

Also, the pins on the rear axle are pretty soft/fragile. I drilled mine out and inserted solid Evergreen rod. Other than that, it is going together pretty well.

I did buy a second kit and plan to extend the frame to make a car hauler, but with a twist, a dirty grungy hemi under the cab.

Also, the truck has a nosedive look, something needs done on my next to level it out.

9 hours ago, Sledsel said:

Wow, I am usually in the car section and decided to look here because I have an L700 on the bench.... Low and behold, the first topic is L700.

This is what I can say thus-far. Slow and steady with the doors, and paint before they are on. I had them on and working and broke them painting.

Also, the pins on the rear axle are pretty soft/fragile. I drilled mine out and inserted solid Evergreen rod. Other than that, it is going together pretty well.

I did buy a second kit and plan to extend the frame to make a car hauler, but with a twist, a dirty grungy hemi under the cab.

Also, the truck has a nosedive look, something needs done on my next to level it out.

These seem to be a fairly popular kit. I too have one I am about to start. There is a lot of info here on fixing the Stink Bug rake that they have, and even some info on how to deal with the doors.

The L700 is a cool kit and lends itself to lots of different options as far as builds go. I am still thinking on what I want to do with mine. Stock is nice, but I think I want something a little different.

5 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

The L700 is a cool kit and lends itself to lots of different options as far as builds go. I am still thinking on what I want to do with mine. Stock is nice, but I think I want something a little different.

I agree, that is why I picked up 4 of them at Ollies...... one stock, one flatbed and............

The available small Cummins V8 had similar architecture to the 903 found in the old Ertl 4270, and for modeling purposes I would use it as is but file off the 903 cast into the valve covers to do a period correct diesel variation, but a retro fitted truck could have any engine. The small Cat engine in the Louisville kits would be a natural choice but again filing of the badges off the valve covers!

41 minutes ago, PettyKW43 said:

The available small Cummins V8 had similar architecture to the 903 found in the old Ertl 4270, and for modeling purposes I would use it as is but file off the 903 cast into the valve covers to do a period correct diesel variation, but a retro fitted truck could have any engine. The small Cat engine in the Louisville kits would be a natural choice but again filing of the badges off the valve covers!

I had considered doing that myself for a 555 on another project, but I though that the 555s and 470s were physically smaller than the 903s and I've never found accurate dimensions on both to compare. From what I understand the 555 and the 470 were physically the same size though.

Glad to help! It took me awhile to find them but strangely enough I found them by accident looking for something else on the Cummins web page! I was actually looking for info on the pancake mount inline six that I didn’t find. I am going forward with a little imaginerring!