Model Cars Magazine Forum

What do make headers out of?

GaryR

STILL searching for the right material!
Not sold on solder, tubing kinks, solid plastic is so inflexible.

So, what do you use?

Please post some pics, especially of weedburners ( weedsweepers ), process and final result would be good!

THANKS

Edited by GaryR

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:07 PM, Straightliner59 said:

Closest thing I have to weedburners are these. They are made from thin-walled plastic tubing made by a company called Contrail Model  Aircraft (https://www.scalemates.com/companies/company.php?id=569 ) .

I inserted aluminum wire into the tubing to help it keep its shape through the bends.

New F.jpg

New L.jpg

New LF.jpg

New Top Crop.jpg

Awesome FED by the way.

• 3 weeks later...

Gary... I made my headers for the Army Vega Funny car out of Brass. I didn't have many issues other than I have about 30 hours into these headers. Here are some pics of how I build them.:

Here is the Tube Bender I used its a Dubro Tube Bender for RC Airplanes that I picked up

2v2uJdMyLxAhe9C.jpg

Here are all 8 Tubes That I had fabricated and are ready, I did have a pile of bends that either I didn't get at the correct angles or I went a little too far. I was sort of a trial an error at first since there was no way to mark and measure them the same like a traditional tube bender I have used for flared tube. Once I figured a system out it wasn't bad at all:

2v2uJdz3gxAhe9C.jpg

Next I started making some Templates for the Header Flange out of plastic then used the template to transfer to the brass pieces:

2v2uJdzJVxAhe9C.jpg

Cutting the header flange's with my razor saw a miter box, my headers were made by hand and not machined for this build:

2v2uJdzHCxAhe9C.jpg

Here are the Completed flanges and now I am drilling the mounting holes with my pin vise:

2v2uJdzQGxAhe9C.jpg

After I had completed making the header flanges, I used them to transfer drill the holes into the heads:

2v2uJdzwLxAhe9C.jpg

I then made a jig to hold the headers so that I could solder them together:

2v2uJdzsLxAhe9C.jpg

Here I have placed the headers in the jig and they are ready for solder:

2v2uJdziGxAhe9C.jpg

Here is the Completed 2nd header:

2v2uJdzLGxAhe9C.jpg

Here is one set completed after soldering:

2v2uJdzThxAhe9C.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Gary... These headers I did are 1/16th Scale.  I recently picked up another tube bender from Habor Freight. I will have to take some pics of it for you and get you the part numbers of the Dubro tube bender I showed above plus another Dubro one that is the same but different size tube. I believe one is for  1/8" Dia. tube and the other 5/32" Dia. tube