Model Cars Magazine Forum

1940 Ford coupe

SnozzaP

that's a fine paint job and I like the wide whites, some things to consider are final details like painting front and rear window weather strips-[gaskets] and rubber grommets on the bumper irons and the ford badge on trunk, little details like those add a lot, nice clean work here

Well, there are two ways of looking at the build, and I say that because you asked constructive criticism. 

Looking at the build as model done without compromise with replicating what Ford did in 1940, it is clean, with very nice paint, in a great color, that goes with the car super well. It looks glamorous in it's gleaming metallic blue, and chrome. Super nice white walls, and nicely built engine. 

Looking at the build as a Ford guy, and imagining it as something built with the objective of replicating a car that would have rolled out of the Ford assembly line, and not only as a model car, I would say the color is incorrect for a Standard Business coupe. Also, the grille and headlight doors should be body color. The weatherstripping on the windshield vent windows, and the backlights needs to be painted to simulate rubber, as it's the case with the bumper bracket grommets on the front and rear of the car. Also, the emblem on the trunk needs detailing, with chrome foil, and some blue paint. The air filter is semi gloss black, and the radiator hoses are missing the FoMoCo decals. The rubber grommet on the fuel filler tube needs painting, the horn was no chrome plated, and the oil filter is on the wrong place on the engine.

1 hour ago, Lovefordgalaxie said:

Well, there are two ways of looking at the build, and I say that because you asked constructive criticism. 

Looking at the build as model done without compromise with replicating what Ford did in 1940, it is clean, with very nice paint, in a great color, that goes with the car super well. It looks glamorous in it's gleaming metallic blue, and chrome. Super nice white walls, and nicely built engine. 

Looking at the build as a Ford guy, and imagining it as something built with the objective of replicating a car that would have rolled out of the Ford assembly line, and not only as a model car, I would say the color is incorrect for a Standard Business coupe. Also, the grille and headlight doors should be body color. The weatherstripping on the windshield vent windows, and the backlights needs to be painted to simulate rubber, as it's the case with the bumper bracket grommets on the front and rear of the car. Also, the emblem on the trunk needs detailing, with chrome foil, and some blue paint. The air filter is semi gloss black, and the radiator hoses are missing the FoMoCo decals. The rubber grommet on the fuel filler tube needs painting, the horn was no chrome plated, and the oil filter is on the wrong place on the engine.

What Tulio said. Other than that, the model itself is outstanding. As a restored stock, you nailed it.

Very nice clean looking build. Some of the others have offered constructive ideas to consider for future builds. I think it's important to build a model with the level of detail you are comfortable with. Some times you may want to push that level a little further and other times it may not be that important to you. It can be fun to see just how exacting you can get, and sometimes you'll just driver your self crazy  doing it. I think you should be proud of this build as is.  

30 minutes ago, espo said:

Very nice clean looking build. Some of the others have offered constructive ideas to consider for future builds. I think it's important to build a model with the level of detail you are comfortable with. Some times you may want to push that level a little further and other times it may not be that important to you. It can be fun to see just how exacting you can get, and sometimes you'll just driver your self crazy  doing it. I think you should be proud of this build as is.  

You're quite right.

Building replica stock is less of a hobby, and more of a job. One has to research about the subject, and try doing things to look as the car did when it was new. 

When I build just to have fun, usually, the result has a lot of compromises to authenticity. 

This one is among the nicest looking '40 Fords I saw build.