Model Cars Magazine Forum

Think the production Edsel was bad????

1 hour ago, Bucky said:

WOW!! That second one looks like a Falcon body.

It is.  The Comet was originally conceived as an Edsel.  Early workups on the Comet were closer to the Falcon, and got more distinct as they evolved.  The squared-off roofline (and possibly the slightly longer wheelbase) weren't adopted until after the Edsel branding was removed.  '60 and '61 Comets don't have any Mercury emblems, letters, or script on them.

9 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Ironcially, a compact Edsel probably would have saved the make, at least for a while.

9 hours ago, Mark said:

It is.  The Comet was originally conceived as an Edsel.  Early workups on the Comet were closer to the Falcon, and got more distinct as they evolved.  The squared-off roofline (and possibly the slightly longer wheelbase) weren't adopted until after the Edsel branding was removed.  '60 and '61 Comets don't have any Mercury emblems, letters, or script on them.

The early Comets came with Edsel titles not Ford Or Mercury. My brother was going to buy one and the guy had the original title for it. 

17 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Interesting that this one has two different front end treatments. I think if the inner lights were moved right next to the outer lights, these wouldn't be so bad.

I definitely saw some Falcon in the second one.

Most early styling prototypes use different styling treatments on each side so that they can be easily compared while keeping the costs own. Sometimes they're even done as a two door on one side and as a four door on the other.