Model Cars Magazine Forum

MY AMT White Western Star

Hi all hope everyone is well. Started my AMT White Western Star project about 6 months ago then put her on the side. I am using the sleeper from the AMT IH Transtar 4300 and have extended the frame to represent a western type unit. However just got a replacement cab yesterday from a friend as the one I originally had was warped pretty badly. I also am contemplating either using the kit supplied Cummins 350 or borrowing the Cat from the Revell USA Peterbilt 359. That being said I am posting pics of the hood and sleeper. They are painted in Rustoleum Fern Green. I have to wait a bit on painting the cab as the weather is very uncooperative currently. Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.

IMG_1304.jpg

IMG_1305.jpg

14 minutes ago, TheSDTrucker said:

Looks great so far! Engine swapped projects are always cool to watch. I'll be following this build.

Thanks. The hood stripes need to be addressed a bit. Tried to go for a sort of AMT White Road Boss striping effect but the little blemishes are bugging me to no end. Not sure if I should strip and redo them when I paint the new cab I just got, or just lightly sand them. Also the sleeper has some rough spots on the bottom corner at the rear of it, as does the front left fender. I think I can sand and reapply the paint and get a better result out of it. I also have to attach the bottom fenders and paint them as well. I keep telling myself it'll get better project to project. Waiting for the better to start kicking in. It could be worse. If this was 1977-78 I either would've attached some M80's or just drove it out a second story window. The last 40 years has taught me to have a bit more patience.

28 minutes ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Looks good! I like your sleeper idea!

Thanks Brian, my friend Michael Capasso who sold me the kit included the 4300 sleeper as well as sending me the extended frame rails. Hoping I can do it justice. This is a long term project that I hope to have completed by next April to display at NNL East in 2019. I also have a KW K123, Pete 352, Diamond Reo 116, and a White Freightliner SD I have to finish as well. Also I was working on the Mack R685 but had a mishap with the aft axles and will have to play plastic surgeon and go single drive with her using the rear springs, and axle from the Ford LN8000 straight truck. I am my own worst enemy sometimes.

Edited by JerseeJerry55
I can't type nor proofread

On 9/26/2018 at 9:10 AM, JerseeJerry55 said:

Hi all hope everyone is well. Started my AMT White Western Star project about 6 months ago then put her on the side. I am using the sleeper from the AMT IH Transtar 4300 and have extended the frame to represent a western type unit. However just got a replacement cab yesterday from a friend as the one I originally had was warped pretty badly. I also am contemplating either using the kit supplied Cummins 350 or borrowing the Cat from the Revell USA Peterbilt 359. That being said I am posting pics of the hood and sleeper. They are painted in Rustoleum Fern Green. I have to wait a bit on painting the cab as the weather is very uncooperative currently. Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.

IMG_1304.jpg

IMG_1305.jpg

Have changed my mind and repainted the cab, hood, and fenders in Rustoleum Sail Blue. I like it much better.

WWS Cab.jpg

WWS Hood.jpg

WWS Sleeper.jpg

35 minutes ago, gotnitro? said:

I'm with you I like the blue much better 

Thanks. I'm going with a red frame and aluminum tanks. Maybe cab stripes maybe not. And need to pick a livery from some sheets I have at home. Would like to headache rack it but not sure where to obtain one. Thanks again for the reply.