Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 911 (964) RS 3.8

Tommy124

12 hours ago, afx said:

This is Thomas' build Jason and his great paint.  I just keep intruding on his build thread - my apologies Thomas.

No problem at all, JC... Your expertise and your comments are more than welcome! And I hate monologue-style WIP's... :rolleyes:

• 4 years later...

Okay... So it's been nearly 4 1/2 years since I last posted in this WIP. And that's exactly for how long the kit has been sleeping in a box. I've been doing lots of other stuff during that time. I built a LOT of vintage US cars, something I'd never done before. And some race cars and a selection of JDM and European sports cars. (Feel free to click the Scalemates link below to check them out, if you like.)

Anyway, I'd like to move forward with this build now. I remember all your kind support while I was at it in 2018, and people asking whether it's been finished or not, even years after. I really appreciate the interest and would be happy if you'd follow me along during the next steps, which will hopefully lead to the finished model!

I started off slowly... had to check out where exactly I was when I took the break. I remember that the modification of the wheels to the chassis was a bit exhausting. I am using a lot of aftermarket parts for this kit, as Fujimi did just as much wrong on this kit. The wheels are 18 inches from Scale Production with a metal center part. I had to work out a way how to fix the brakes inside of them and and then fix the brake/ wheel to the chassis.  This is where I am now.

Front brakes:

IMG_8941.thumb.JPG.ff60a00ef6ba066aa8be74fb7173af69.JPG

Rear brakes:

IMG_8940.thumb.JPG.ba89c43ee9f0ed606ac7703349dc542f.JPG

This is how I plan on doing it... The "spacers" have beens scratch-build:

1581183531_IMG_8939mod.thumb.jpg.02984ee08d81ff98e1d73287d03b2bd9.jpg

This is what the metal wheel center looks like from the inside. One of my concerns is to have enough stability after glueing the spacer to it... 

IMG_8943.thumb.JPG.cc818b067e45a2a1747df4ab65638067.JPG

This is how the rims look now. The black outer ring will be painted in silver later.

IMG_8942.thumb.JPG.3d21b81e29e38082a89e023abc6ea255.JPG

Even though stored in a closed box for the whole time, the body could use a little cleaning and waxing:

IMG_8936.thumb.JPG.bcdd1767bda5eb5e1ad1adce5110dcbc.JPG

More to come soon!

IMG_8938.JPG

• Like 2

• 11 months later...